Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

Disney D-Tech For the Holidays and Beyond

posted on December 15th, 2011 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

Limited Edition D-Tech Holiday Castle Smartphone Cases for Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts

Last year, I introduced you to the world of D-Tech, the new electronic accessory line created for Disney Parks. Electronic gadgets are at the top of my gift giving list again this year, so I checked in with product developer Kevin-Michael Lezotte for an update.

“We have been thrilled with the response from fans about D-Tech,” exclaimed Kevin-Michael. “This past year, we have tried a lot of new things. We know that guests use a variety of electronic gadgets. That has challenged us to create a variety of accessories to match. I’m happy to say that in 2012 we will be releasing new accessories for the top five smartphone models.”

Kevin-Michael and I walked through the D-Tech showroom to survey newly released items. Following the success of the limited edition iPhone 4 case created for the 40th Anniversary of Walt Disney World, there are two new limited edition iPhone 4 cases created for Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resort featuring the holiday castles (they also fit the new iPhone 4S).

New D-Tech Cases Featuring Minnie Mouse and Mickey Mouse Available From Disney Parks

Kevin-Michael created three new cases featuring Mickey and Minnie Mouse. The sparkly case in the middle has been one of the most popular cases this holiday season.

New D-Tech iPad Cases, Laptop Sleeves and Gift Sets Available From Disney Parks

There are also new iPad cases, laptop sleeves and gift sets that contain both a hard and soft case for the iPhone 4.

D-Tech Smartphone Cases Featuring Mickey Mouse and Vinylmation Figures, Available From Disney Parks

Some of those new smartphone cases Kevin-Michael mentioned have already been released including the three pictured above. He also showed me new cases that were similar to the leather iPad cases.

There are two additional cases that fans of Vinylmation may enjoy. They have been in development for about a year and were finally released a few weeks ago. One of the images – the allover pattern – has been used as a header image on the Disney Parks Blog.

If you are looking to give D-Tech items as gifts this year, check out the D-Tech boutique on the Disney Theme Park Online StoreDisneyParks.com/D-Tech.

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Kevin from NJ on December 15th, 2011 at 11:07 am

Please tell me the Galaxy S 2 is on the list to get cases. Share the magic! LOL

Amy on December 15th, 2011 at 11:07 am

Wonderful! I am going to snag a few myself! My favorite is definitely the Mickey and Minnie themed cases, and according to this article I’m not alone! Thanks for the photos and the heads up!

Lacey on December 15th, 2011 at 11:32 am

yes, can D-Tech please make something for electronics other than Macs? i’ve got a Galaxy Tab that needs a case :)

Steven Miller on December 21st, 2011 at 2:42 pm

@Kevin and Lacey – I spoke with Kevin-Michael who said that there are currently no plans for development for the Galaxy tablet at this time.

He did share with me artwork for additional D-Tech cases for Android phones. We are developing cases for the top five phones from the Android market. Look for an article in early 2012 about that development.

Lori from CA on December 15th, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I have the Disneyland Christmas Castle case on my phone right now and I love it. When I take flash pictures with the case on though, it makes my pictures blue from the bounce off from the blue case. I’m hoping that issue has been fixed with the new cases, making the opening for the flash different.

Tiffany on December 15th, 2011 at 2:19 pm

What happened to the Cinderella Castle iPad case? I’ve seen it before (unless I’m going crazy) but have been looking for it in the Parks/online ever since I bought an iPad but can’t find it!

Friend on December 15th, 2011 at 3:48 pm

The Vinylmation concept is a spin off of the Steampunkin Mickey, Minnie, and Donald characters done in 2000 at Tokyo Disneyland. They even did a little steampunkin tool box with writing and drawing tools inside, as well as tins for cocoa and candies. I would love a smartphone Steampunkin case.

mark on December 16th, 2011 at 7:17 am

Tiffany. I think the iPad case has been discontinued as it was an iPad 1 version, I picked up a a couple for ours in November from the outlets on iDrive.

The D-Tech online does not have the new limited editions showing, again I picked in some in November as they are only a 2,000 LE. The WOD sold out whist we visited. Think this blog is a bit late myself!

Hopefully anyone wanting one might get one from the parks?

Amber from CA on December 16th, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I love the black and white case (I have the purse in the same pattern). Might that be available as a hard case for the iPhone4, or is it only the soft wristlet? At which locations are these available in Anaheim?

Lisa from NJ on December 16th, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Please, please, please make some of these wonderful cases available for Droid phones and Galaxy Tabs! There are still a LOT of people who don’t have, or plan to purchase, iPhones or iPads, that would adore these.

Steven Miller on December 21st, 2011 at 2:50 pm

@Lisa – Stay tuned as we’ve heard the feedback from many fans. There are new Android phone cases coming in 2012.

Nicole from AZ on December 16th, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I would love to see laptop sleeves that fit a macbook air. I was at WDW Dec 2nd-10th and all I could find were sleeves to fit 17 inch laptops. I would have bought one in a heart beat if they had one to fit my computer. Just a suggestion :)

leanne from act on December 16th, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I’m with the other commenters. I appreciate that Disney, as the major shareholder of Apple, is going to support apple products. But you would still make sales out of us Samsung owners too!

Steven Miller on December 21st, 2011 at 3:00 pm

@Leanne – Thanks for your comment. The decision to make certain cases versus others is based on several factors. For D-Tech, we needed to start somewhere (which was cases for iPhones / iPads). Based on feedback from our fans, we are expanding our assortment in 2012 to include cases for several other phones. Unfortunately, we won’t have cases for every single phone (based on space in locations and other factors). Yet we have identified those phones which are the most popular in the marketplace. It’s certainly a balancing act as we want to create items that match our guests needs while ensuring the items we produce are popular (if that makes sense).

Annette from MI on December 17th, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Any chance that these are (or will be) available for Windows phones? I have an HTC HD7, and would love one of these!!!!

Jean from VA on December 17th, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I would love to get the Cinderella Castle one for my iPhone, but sadly it’s not available online. Something tells me it won’t be there in Feb when we are at Disney World. Hopefully I’ll find something else I like. :)

Steven Miller on December 21st, 2011 at 4:35 pm

@Jean – Your best option would be to contact Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Merchandise Guest Services at 1-877-560-6477 or send an email to
merchandiseguestservices@disney.go.com

Reference item #: 400002580133

I would suggest contacting them sooner than later if you like that nighttime Castle look. Come early 2012, there is something new coming that looks awesome (Kevin-Michael just showed me the artwork).

Virginia from NC on December 17th, 2011 at 2:49 pm

i’d rather buy multiple d-tech items for my android phones (we are a 4 phone family) than to pay for the iphone… (but don’t get me wrong, i’d love to buy an iphone… just isn’t practical.)

Muriel on December 17th, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Disney is missing a huge market of people who own Droid phones and tablets! These are so cute and I would love to have them :-)

Mia on December 17th, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Android!! I’m a huge fan as well as a travel agent and I’d LOVE to have my Android covered with my favorite place on Earth!!!

Denise on December 17th, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I would have to say if it fits my Android I would be purchasing but in my travels to Walt Disney World in October I didn’t find anything for my Android. My mother found a Pink case somewhere but it was all iPhones otherwise.

Jennifer from CA on December 17th, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I must have the Holiday Sleeping Beauty Castle. I am unable to locate online anywhere. Do you have another link or a location I may purchase? Thanks

Colleen from PA on December 17th, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Any plans for something for a Kindle or Kindle Fire?

Steven Miller on December 21st, 2011 at 4:43 pm

@Jennifer – The limited edition Holiday Castle cases were not sold via the on-line store. You may want to try contacting Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Merchandise Guest Services at 1-877-560-6477 or send an email to
merchandiseguestservices@disney.go.com

Reference item #: 400004455576

You may also want to check Off the Page at Disney California Adventure or Disney’s Pin Traders at Downtown Disney District. Please note that availability is subject to change and the cases may not be available when you visit. Those locations were showing limited quantities in our system as of this afternoon (Decemember 21).

@Colleen – I haven’t seen plans at this time for any such development. Doesn’t mean things won’t change in the future though :-)

Danica on December 22nd, 2011 at 7:00 am

Any chance of a laptop sleeve for a 13.3″ laptop? A lot of macs are that size, and right now you only have the big laptop sleeves. Just something to pass along.. :)

becky on January 5th, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I hope more items will be created with Disneyland artwork. I mean I love Disney stuff, but it is Disneyland that has my heart.