Sailing Ship Columbia at Disneyland Park

Happy Birthday, Walt Disney!

posted on December 5th, 2011 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Walt Disney once said, “I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing – that it was all started by a mouse.”

The Disney Parks Blog Celebrates Walt Disney's Birthday

But I like to think that it was really started by a man who had one of the best imaginations on the planet, Walt Disney. To me, he was a person who loved experimentation, storytelling and new technology – qualities that you can still see in Disney Parks today.

In honor of his birthday, we’re featuring some rare Walt images in the header space above that showcase Walt at work, at home and at play (courtesy of Walt Disney Imagineering and Disneyland Public Relations). Each time you “refresh” or click on a new story, a different image should display.

There are some here I’ve never seen before. Which is your favorite?

Filed: Disney History, Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Peter on December 5th, 2011 at 9:56 am

I like this picture particularly. Walt’s collaborative work with Werner Von Braun played a significant role in space exploration.

Jeff from OH on December 5th, 2011 at 10:19 am

Two greats – Mickey and Walt!!

Georgina on December 5th, 2011 at 10:20 am

Happy Birthday Walt :) he is my idol!

My favourite picture would have to be when he is standing with his sketches of Disneyland :) he looks so happy as one of his dreams was finally coming true! And if it wasn’t for Walt himself, I wouldn’t be experiencing my dream holiday next year!

So wish I could have met him

Jason from IN on December 5th, 2011 at 11:56 am

Happy Birthday, Walt!

Ty on December 5th, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Happy Birthday Walt!!! … and indeed it all started with a man! The Banks once said that dreams offer too little collateral, well Walt proved them wrong :-)

Carolyn from IL on December 5th, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Walt, Thank you for creating places for us of all ages to be able to let the inner child never grow up. Every time I enter a Disney park a tear of joy and smile fill me up.

Happy Birthday!

Bobby from CA on December 5th, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Happy Birthday to one of my biggest idols Walt Disney. I couldn’t imagine my life without all the creative things Walt did in his short lived life. Happy Birthday again Walt.

On a side note…Jennifer, how many pictures are there in the headers for Walt’s birthday?

Aaron on December 5th, 2011 at 2:04 pm

What a legacy to leave to the world, thanks for the present you gave us sir.

Patrick on December 5th, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Happy birthday Walt Disney and many thanks!!

nicole on December 5th, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Happy Birthday Walt, you are truly America’s greatest icon. Thanks for all the joy you have brought to me, and so many others.

Dean on December 5th, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I Love Them ALL!!! Thank You Walt! Happy 110th!

Veronica from CA on December 5th, 2011 at 8:34 pm

My favorite picture is a young, handsome Walt at his desk (probably at the Hyperion studio) looking over some sketches and looking very tired…but determined! Thank you for making wonderful cartoons with class!! Happy 110th Birthday Uncle Walt :)

Krista on December 6th, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Darn! I, of course, remembered his birthday but I didn’t see this post till today and missed the Walt headers. It is backed to holiday headers :(

Jan from NC on December 11th, 2011 at 8:39 am

December 5th is my daughter’s birthday too! She just turned 8! Every year we have an extra piece of cake to celebrate for Walt too. We will spend her third birthday at Walt Disney World next year. That’s our tradition…. every 3rd birthday at WDW! So far we were there for her 3rd & 6th birthdays. She is only 8, but has made 18 trips to WDW so far. We will be adding Disneyland to those statistics in March.
Sometimes I think she was born 2 months early just so she could share a birthday with Walt. She loves Disney parks!