Sunset Over the Tree of Life at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Leap Year 2012 Brings ‘One More Disney Day’ to Disney Parks

posted on January 1st, 2012 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Leap Year 2012 Brings ‘One More Disney Day’ to Disney Parks

Happy New Year from Disney Parks!

As you may have just heard on Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest, we’re kicking off 2012 with a special announcement – an extra day of magic for you called “One More Disney Day.” For the first time ever, both Magic Kingdom Park and Disneyland park will stay open for 24 hours straight. That’s right, from 6 a.m., February 29 to 6 a.m., March 1, 2012, local time, you can fill the extra day of leap year with a marathon of Disney Parks fun.

Leap Year 2012 Brings ‘One More Disney Day’ to Disney Parks

We’re also launching our new OneMoreDisneyDay.com site this morning with a few surprises. Beginning today through Feb. 29, one guest per day can win a memory-making Disney Parks vacation. You can find details about the sweepstakes opportunity as well as information about a special package offer for guests of Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts on the site.

So, what would you do with “One More Disney Day?” Let us know in the comments and be sure and follow the conversation on Twitter. You can get involved now using the Twitter hashtag #Disney24.

Tagged: , , , ,

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort, Magic Kingdom, Special Events, Walt Disney World Resort

Janet on January 1st, 2012 at 12:11 am

Oh, that sounds like so much fun. I’m going to have to check my vacation schedule to see if I can squeeze it in.

Craig on January 1st, 2012 at 12:15 am

Sounds fantastic!
Happy New Year everyone!

Christine from CA on January 1st, 2012 at 12:17 am

This sounds so awesome! Looking forward to 2/29/12!!!!!

Ryan from FL on January 1st, 2012 at 12:19 am

WOW! What an opportunity. I really hope to make it.

Sherry on January 1st, 2012 at 12:29 am

I would party hard – it would be amazing to be in the park in the real “magic hours”! What a fun way to celebrate Leap Day!

Debra from CA on January 1st, 2012 at 12:33 am

One more day at DLR or WDW, hhhmmmmmmm……
I think I would have fun trying to see how many “Hidden Mickey’s” I could find.
Never have taken the time to do that yet.
Ooorrrrr……..
Make a list of my favorite rides and things to do in descending order, then start at the top and make my way down.

Holly on January 1st, 2012 at 12:39 am

That sounds awesome!! Wish I could be there!! That would be amazing!

Gianna on January 1st, 2012 at 12:48 am

I would ride Star Tours ALL day in an attempt to see all 54 scenarios!

Jessica on January 1st, 2012 at 1:09 am

this is great! we always love to come to the park from opening till close, and its never long enough! so excited :)

Fred from CA on January 1st, 2012 at 3:07 am

Very cool!

Nicholas from CA on January 1st, 2012 at 3:34 am

Open for 24 hours on a Wednesday…. how awesome!

Sonia on January 1st, 2012 at 5:58 am

This is the most exciting news we’ve heard in a while! (Plus, that aerial shot of the area surrounding Sleeping Beauty Castle is magnificent) Will everything be open during these 24hrs? Attractions, restaurants, shows, character meet-and-greets? My daughter would love to be able to see the princesses during this time!

Nancy on January 1st, 2012 at 8:09 am

Wow saw this on Dick Clark’s New Years Eve last night. We can not ride more rides and see more shows. Magic Carpet ride, Peter Pan and may finally get into Toy Story Mania! and have time to play at the pool! What a great New Years gift. Thanks.

Edgar on January 1st, 2012 at 8:26 am

With one more Disney day i would be sure to take allot of photographs at the unique time when the park is not normally open!

dianne from FL on January 1st, 2012 at 8:33 am

Go on every ride and see all the shows, and say thank you to every cast member I see.

Ian from Essex on January 1st, 2012 at 8:39 am

Wasn’t the park open for almost that long on Christmas Day and New Years Eve?? So, what happens on the other 365 days of the year for the year long celebration? Also, why can’t people from outside the USA enter competitions?

JoAnn on January 1st, 2012 at 8:41 am

I entered for the sweepstakes right after midnight. Now, I hope the biggest decision I’ll have to make in 2012 is who I’m going to bring with me when I win. Happy New Year!

Steve on January 1st, 2012 at 9:26 am

Will this be like Grad Nite?

Sean on January 1st, 2012 at 10:08 am

“and say thank you to every cast member I see.”

Totally. There is going to be a lot of work involved in pulling this off but I know the Disney cast members are up to it. But I still like telling them thank you every chance I get.

Otto on January 1st, 2012 at 10:10 am

Nice, but I´m tired after 4 hours and can´t imagine walking around there for 24 hours!
Very disapointed your valued oversea customers from (for instance The Netherlands) are not alowed to enter in the compatition. I scrape every 3 years all my money to visit the best vacation kingdom in the world and would love to have a chance in the competition.

MARK on January 1st, 2012 at 10:38 am

I am looking at flights now, If I had 1 more Disney Day, I would go to the Walt Disney World Resorts for 10/12 hrs then fly to LAX, California (due to the time change) and spend the rest of THE SAME DAY at the Disneyland Parks.

Sounds amazing,thanks TWDC

jose from AZ on January 1st, 2012 at 10:52 am

I would like to complete every ride and show at Disney. Never done that. The extra time would allow me the chance.

Maggie on January 1st, 2012 at 11:32 am

Oh how I would love to do this! I would ride all the rides I have always wanted to but never have!

Susan on January 1st, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Yeah!!!! We are already going to be there!!!! :)

Cheryl on January 1st, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I’d walk around in utter amazement at the beauty that is Disney! I’ve never been there. Oh, and probably ride all the roller coasters TWICE.

Deborah on January 1st, 2012 at 1:02 pm

MY LEAP YEAR BIRTHDAY!! This is great! I will really,really try to get there, even if it will have to be by myself!

Ana on January 1st, 2012 at 1:05 pm

This could be fun! I hope it’s a day for all the passes to work.

Darren from TX on January 1st, 2012 at 1:06 pm

24 hours at Disneyland or Magic Kingdom? I’d have to find a quiet bench to catch a few catnaps to stay the whole 24 hours! Of course it would be filled with autographs, numerous rides on our favorites, and of course mint juleps and churros!

Mandy from IL on January 1st, 2012 at 1:07 pm

This is a brilliant way to take advantage of Leap Year and what better way than to do it at Disneyworld?! I am planning our first Disney trip as a family (kids are 4 and 7 1/2) and 24 hours in the park would be beyond our wildest dreams! To experience 24 hours of uninterrupted Disney time would be something none of us would ever forget! Happy New Year!!!

Jocelyn on January 1st, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I have never had the pleasure of going to Disneyland or Disney World. It is a longtime dream to be able to take my family.

Virginia on January 1st, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I would totally go on every disney ride and stay there all 24 hours with my sisters! im entering tht sweepstakes everyday (actually i’ll tell my sister to)!!! it would be soooo much fun…too bad i hav school on Feb 29!!! if i win hopefully my parents will just let it be me and my siblings! :)

Mitchell from IL on January 1st, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Wish we could be there, seeing the sunrise inside the parks at WDW would certainly be a great experience!

Michelle from CA on January 1st, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Every time I try to enter, it says “Sorry, a communications error occurred”.

Katie on January 1st, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I would ride all the Mountain Rides (Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain) over and over again… and spend precious time with my family and friends wearing my Turkey Leg T-Shirt that I got for Christmas :)

Constance on January 1st, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Oh my heart was in my throat when I heard this announcement. What a grand time it would have been to re-open some of the clubs on pleasure island!! A 24 hour bash! What could be better? Sadly, that was not part of this great announcement.

This is a wonderful idea though, I’ve often wondered why Disney never did 24 hour events. 8:*)
Happy new year! (see? even my smiley face wears mouse ears!)

Omar on January 1st, 2012 at 1:55 pm

We had a great and memorable Christmas at Disneyland this year.
This next November is our family trip to Disneyland. We can’t wait!!

Penny on January 1st, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I have already sent my text. Fingers Crossed!

Kenton on January 1st, 2012 at 1:58 pm

My kids are growing up fast. One just moved out to attend College. The other is a freshman in High School. How about one more family trip. One more chance to all be together.

Rosemary on January 1st, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I am so excited !! I heard the announcement and I said “oh that is so cool” and then I realized I’M GONNA BE THERE!!

Maureen on January 1st, 2012 at 2:29 pm

WITH MY EXTRA DISNEY DAY, I WOULD MAKE A RESERVATION FOR THE LUAH AT THE POLYNESIAN. THE LAST TIME I MADE MY RESERVATION FOR THIS EVENT, WE HEARD THAT THE DINNER WAS CANCELLED WHILE ON THE MONORAIL OVER TO THE POLYNESIAN RESORT. THE ENTIRE FAMILY WAS DRESSED IN HAWAIIAN ATTIRE FOR THIS EVENT AND EVERYONE KNEW THE OVERHEAD MESSAGE ON THE MONORAIL FROM MICKEY MOUSE WAS MEANT FOR US THAT THE HURRICANE IN THE ORANGE COUNTY AREA WAS TOO SEVERE TO HOLD THIS OUTDOOR EVENT. WENT TO OHANA’S THAT NIGHT INSTEAD..”OHANA MEANS FAMILY” AND THAT IS WHAT DISNEY IS ALL ABOUT!

Cathy from OH on January 1st, 2012 at 2:51 pm

So excited..We’ll be at WDW from 2/27 to 3/3. Can’t wait. It’ll be a great family vacation and we’ll be celebrating my husbands retirement. Still need to buy our park hoppers…this would be amazing to win. It’ll be the 1st trip to Disney for our daughters boyfriend. Can’t wait for this 27yr old to see Disney for the first time. YEAH

Nancy on January 1st, 2012 at 3:35 pm

My mom’s birthday is Feb. 29, and every leap year we like to do something special for her to celebrate her “real” birthday. She’ll be “eighteen” this year and I know she’d love a day at Disney (not sure about a whole 24 hours though). We were scheduled to arrive in Florida on March 1, but I think my sister and I are going to see if we can step it up a couple of days ahead to treat my mom to Disney on her birthday.

Jeffrey from CA on January 1st, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Just out of curiosity, does this mean Disneyland will be closed all day on March 1st?

Lynne from VA on January 1st, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I can think of no better way to celebrate my cousin’s birthday (2/29) than at Disney. Would love to win her a trip for her birthday.

Kathy on January 1st, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Why don’t they give the passholders an extra day too? They never have promos for passholders only have specials that require room & ticket purchase (free dining is this way also) I know that this is to get more people to come but as passholders we would stay in on premises more often if some of these specials were sent our way too.

Leslee on January 1st, 2012 at 5:46 pm

This is the most exciting news ever! I cannot wait to be there! I do have a question though. Will my premium annual pass get me in on this day, or do I need to purchase a separate ticket for that day?

Ryan on January 1st, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I always make the most of One More Disney Day; seeing as we dont have Disney Downunder yet, its always such a special holiday to plan and travel so far just to go to Disneyland. I’ve been lucky enough to share the experience on a few occasions this past couple of years with my new wife. Whilst we now have anniversaries we can share at Disney, I would love to have many more occasions and chances to spend in a magical place that is unlike any other place on Earth.

Barbara from MI on January 1st, 2012 at 6:21 pm

What a lovely idea – so much more time to soak up the atmosphere in the Magic Kingdom. There’s just something special about the Kingdom in the dark with all the twinkling lights. Love Big Thunder in the dark, how about the Haunted Mansion – so many choices and time to do them all! Good luck to me!

theresa from NY on January 1st, 2012 at 6:42 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR! This has been on my “bucket list” for over 16 years now. My wish is to celebrate my birthday (Dec 4), in DisneyWorld with my 3 closest girlfriends. At age 56 now, I still believe it will happen one day!!

Jeanette from KY on January 1st, 2012 at 6:45 pm

One More Day…..How Great would that be!!! More time to enjoy all the Magic of Walt Disney World, The Greatest Place On Earth!!