Expedition Everest at Disney's Animal Kingdom Park

Re-Imagined Test Track Will Put Guests in the Designer’s Seat This Fall at Epcot

posted on January 6th, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Beginning this fall, Epcot guests will be able to enjoy a re-imagined version of the popular Future World attraction, Test Track presented by Chevrolet.

Re-Imagined Version of the Future World Attraction Test Track Presented by Chevrolet Coming to Epcot this Fall

This new version of the attraction will transform the current testing workshop into the sleek “Chevrolet Design Center at Epcot,” where guests can become immersed in the fun – and fast – world of automotive design. Here, guests will become automotive designers and create their own custom vehicles. Next, they’ll buckle into a six-person SimCar ride vehicle and test out their design on the challenging track of the Test Track course.

Afterward, guests can take a fascinating look into the future of transportation by viewing a collection of the latest Chevrolet vehicles in an all-new showroom.

This fun new experience is the result of a renewed, multi-year business relationship between Disney and General Motors, companies that have worked together for more than 30 years.

Filed: Epcot, Walt Disney World Resort

Jacquelyn on January 6th, 2012 at 10:05 am

Love this!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on January 6th, 2012 at 11:07 am

Good to me!

Adam from LA on January 6th, 2012 at 10:05 am

As cool as this idea sounds, I think I’d rather the current Test Track. I hope it’s still there when I visit.

Jason on January 6th, 2012 at 10:06 am

Does this mean it will be down when I visit in May or is it separate from the main attraction?

Luis from TX on January 6th, 2012 at 10:06 am

Can’t wait, Test Track is my favorite ride at WDW!!

Larissa from SP on January 6th, 2012 at 10:08 am

Wow, that’s amazing! :O But that means Test Track will be soon closed for refurbishment? Oh no, I don’t wanna miss it when I visit Disney in May! :(

Laurie from IL on January 6th, 2012 at 10:09 am

I don’t think I get it, does that mean we won’t be going into the regular cars and on the outside track anymore? that’s our favorite part!

Chuck on January 6th, 2012 at 10:12 am

Are you saying it will no longer be an actual ride, but a simulated ride?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on January 6th, 2012 at 11:08 am

It’s an actual ride.

Darian on January 6th, 2012 at 10:13 am

I’ll be there in late May will it be closed by then?

Jackie on January 6th, 2012 at 10:15 am

Concept sounds very fun. Regarding the name “Chevrolet Design Center at Epcot,” is that going to be Test Track’s new name? Or is that just the name of the preshow area where guests design their vehicle… or the new name of the pavilion building?

Christopher on January 6th, 2012 at 10:19 am

Interesting, does that mean the ride will be different each time (a la Star Tours) or will it be the same track set up as it currently is with a few different props?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on January 6th, 2012 at 11:09 am

We’ll have to wait and see!

Jen from NJ on January 6th, 2012 at 10:23 am

I know it closes summer of 2012 for a multi month refurb.. dunno if thats considered may or starts in June.

I would like more details on this.. I am rather confused myself about the outcome of this refurb. we still ride the actual ride right? This isn’t Sum of All Thrills?

And didn’t TT just install a bunch of newly designed vehicles? :(

Lori from MI on January 6th, 2012 at 10:23 am

Test Track is one of my favorite rides. Not looking forward to seeing it changed.

James on January 6th, 2012 at 10:25 am

So is it a Simulated ride or still a ride like the last one? And is the ride currently down?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on January 6th, 2012 at 11:11 am

Not simulated.

Kathleen on January 6th, 2012 at 10:28 am

We also will be traveling to Disney in May. I hope it will be completed by then. I would also hope they keep the ride as is maybe a few unexpected new twists would be cool. But I guess as is in everything you need to update to keep with the ever changing technology. Go Testtrax! Great Ride!

Cara on January 6th, 2012 at 10:40 am

Sounds like it just might be a new queue to me. Something to look forward to for our next trip!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on January 6th, 2012 at 11:10 am

Nope, it’s a re-imagining of the whole attraction. :)

David on January 6th, 2012 at 10:42 am

I JUST GOT HERE AND THEY ANNOUNCE NEW STUFF X’D

patty on January 6th, 2012 at 10:44 am

I think they will just refurbis the test track now and add the simulated 1 in the show room cant wate

Andy on January 6th, 2012 at 10:45 am

Test Track is on of my favorite rides and i really hope that the ride stays. i think it would be great if they are both able to be there on property because i have a mother who hates simulators because of different phobias and she loves test track! I hope there is a way to keep both of them?

Sarah on January 6th, 2012 at 10:49 am

No! Don’t change test track! I realize it’s getting a bit dated but it’s fun. Hopefully they keep the outside track part.

Jeffrey on January 6th, 2012 at 10:54 am

This is nice and all…… But I was hoping that the TRON refurb rumor on Test Track was going to turn out to be true. Walt Disney World needs TRON somewhere!!

Robert on January 6th, 2012 at 10:59 am

It sounds similar to what they did at the Haunted Mansion by adding will an interactive queue area. I think ride will be the same. They maybe will update the video that plays during the pre-show and replace the characters.

Karyn from NJ on January 6th, 2012 at 11:02 am

I hope this simulator is in addition to the regular Test Track. I would hate to lose the original ride to a simulator version. If it’s just going to be added to the pavilion then great, but I don’t want to lose the original ride. I love it to much!

Charles from IA on January 6th, 2012 at 11:02 am

It sounds like a virtual ride, no more actual ride. I am bummed. I like the wind in my face as we go on the victory lap, feeling the hot and cold, etc.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on January 6th, 2012 at 11:10 am

Nope, it’s still a “real” ride.

Kyle on January 6th, 2012 at 11:03 am

It will be closed from April thru late September.

The ride itself will remain–this is an extensive refurbishment of the queue and post-show with some changes to the ride itself.

Chris on January 6th, 2012 at 11:05 am

Glad Test Track is getting some attention. I gather this will be the same ride? Just new story or concept? Either way – glad to hear about this!

Carrie from CA on January 6th, 2012 at 11:07 am

Sounds like the only difference will be a new interactive queue where you “design” your vehicle before going on the same old ride. I doubt there will be any actual customization of the ride experience considering that each car holds 6 people who will all want to experience their own design.

Sarah on January 6th, 2012 at 11:21 am

Jennifer, how does a “SimCar” work on a “real” ride? This is a bit confusing…

Laurie on January 6th, 2012 at 11:25 am

So, each guest gets to design their own car but still ride an actual ride? I’m not quite sure how that would work, but my guess would be the actual vehicles people get inside to ride will all be the same. Maybe there will be monitors in front of each seat so people can watch how their designed car looks on the actual track?

Also, any information on when the current ride will close and the refurbished one will open?

Kevin from WI on January 6th, 2012 at 11:35 am

Any idea when the ride will close?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on January 6th, 2012 at 3:42 pm

It will go down in April and reopen this fall.

Jason on January 6th, 2012 at 11:37 am

My friend Leslie wanted me to ask if during the refurb you could refurb a car to make it handicap accessible. She loves this ride but it’s extremely difficult for her to get into the cars.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on January 6th, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I’ll pass that along. Thanks!

Sharon on January 6th, 2012 at 11:47 am

Are there closure dates yet for the test track? We are coming in October and I wanted to see whether or not it will be open.

Tayner on January 6th, 2012 at 11:54 am

Does this mean Test Track will be closed when I go in the end of August 2012? :”( NOOO,

Paul from NY on January 6th, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Jennifer, since you’re saying it’s not becoming a simulator, perhaps you could clarify for us what exactly “SimCar” means? Not to mention how every guest is going to be able to design their own experience, when the “SimCar” holds 6 people? Thanks!

Kirk on January 6th, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I think this will be in the que, think of it as a ride outside the actual ride. This is like the new updated other ques’s, is that correct. I think the actual ride will remain the same!

Bree on January 6th, 2012 at 12:28 pm

so to me this sounds like we go on the same track we have been going on, but we do so with the “car” we “invented”, so it will have differences. I’m hoping thats how it is, because i really love when you go out on the open track. If thats kept in I will be a happy camper.

Chris on January 6th, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Like Uncle Walt said, the parks will never be finished. Plussing is a good thing, and it’s good to see a classic evolve with the times. Just don’t go changing it too much, ok? Test Track is a great ride in its current form. (And, please, don’t make it all eco-preachy. That would be no fun.)

Omar from PR on January 6th, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Awww,in fall….I always go in spring time….oh well 2013 it is then :-(

Jayne on January 6th, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Sounds interesting, wonder if its going to be a virtual ride that you design and then ride, like virtual roller coaster in downtown disney that you can make your own coaster ride up. So assume will still be test track as we know it and an additional design virtual ride. Looking forward to finding out as we will be visiting WDW for Halloween this year.

Brett from IN on January 6th, 2012 at 1:02 pm

This sounds great! Really glad to see rides being refreshed and plussed!

Anjanette on January 6th, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Sounds like a great idea, I just hope it doesn’t cause the waiting in line to become even longer. Hoping it’s basically giving you something to do while in line and you get to ride in “your car” when you get to the actual ride.

Alan from Devon on January 6th, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Will the single rider line be retained when Test Track re-opens?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on January 6th, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I don’t have any info on this. Will let you know when I hear something.

Lisa-Rose on January 6th, 2012 at 1:34 pm

When will the current ride close for refurbishment? I already found out that Big Thunder Mountain will be closed when we’re planning to go – please don’t tell me THIS will be closed, too.

Jennifer on January 6th, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Noooooo!! I’m taking my boyfriend on his first Disney trip in August!! It HAS to be open!! :(

Amy from NY on January 6th, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I’m just as confused as Paul is. If there is an actual track still and it is an “actual ride” how can it be different each time without it being simulated like Star Tours? Plus the word “Sim-car” has me confused as well.

Eric on January 6th, 2012 at 2:03 pm

To, er, keep down the panic mode:
I’m assuming this refers either to the “factory” preshow, or the “exhibit” postshow that most thrill riders just completely zoom by on the way out without noticing?

Stephen on January 6th, 2012 at 2:23 pm

It’s great to hear that the attraction is getting an update. I’m excited to see what they come up with as far as the re-theming goes, although at first glance the interactivity element sounds a bit gimmicky – hopefully there’s more substance to it. Obviously a bit of downtime is the price we have to pay for updated and refreshed attractions. However Test Track has to be one of the most popular attractions at WDW so naturally lots of people are keen to know whether it’s going to be closed on their upcoming trips – or (for those of us that have booked far in advance) – whether the new version would be open. I wish Disney would actually announce specific dates for when it closes and re-opens – otherwise you’re just encouraging people to only book their vacations at the last minute.

alissa on January 6th, 2012 at 2:25 pm

what are the refurb dates????

Adam on January 6th, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that the ride will not be designing the look of the car as much as it will be designing the way the car rides. Suspension, weight profile, engine specs, etc and using the “SimCar” to simulate those settings to feel how changing the design of a car affects how it drives.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Scott on January 6th, 2012 at 2:43 pm

This is AWESOME! It sounds incredible! I can’t belive this idea has intersected with any objection! It sounds like an amazing new ride expieriance more in tune with the future world aura! CAN’T WAIT!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on January 6th, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I’m happy you’re excited, Scott!

Robert on January 6th, 2012 at 2:45 pm

This is my 5 year daughter’s favorite Ride! When we were there for her Birthday – they actually let us go on twice in a row and it made her trip!! We can’t wait to get back and see the changes!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on January 6th, 2012 at 3:43 pm