Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Happy Holidays from the Walt Disney World Resort

A Historic Occasion: Spending 24 Hours at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on February 28th, 2012 by Nate Rasmussen, Archivist, Marketing Resource Center

A presidential election. The Summer Olympics. Leap Day. These three things are very different, but they all share one thing in common: they happen in the same calendar year. And this Leap Day is extra special at Disney Parks, as Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort will be open for 24 hours starting tomorrow, Feb. 29, at 6 a.m.

“Magic

I’m known as the guy who brings you Vintage Walt Disney World every Thursday here on the Disney Parks Blog, but tomorrow I’ll be on special assignment. I will be attempting to make 24 memories in my 24 hours at the park while I film it to share with you here on the blog later this week.

“Nate

So while I head home and get a good night’s sleep, I have a question for you. What would you do first with 24 hours of fun inside Magic Kingdom Park?

Filed: Disney History, Magic Kingdom, Special Events, Walt Disney World Resort

12 Comments 1 Reply

Peter on February 28th, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Would definitely head to Crystal Palace for breakfast as this is a perfect start to any 24 hours.

Saudade from FL on February 28th, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Take my very first photo in front of the castle as I enter the park to document all the way until hour 24. After that, I will probably get breakfast to fuel our “Ride all the rides!” motto for the day.
See you tomorrow!

Sarah on February 28th, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Hit all the mountains before the lines get crazy! I’d love to have a refreshing wake up on Splash Mountain!

Nate Rasmussen on March 5th, 2012 at 8:41 am

Sarah, I took your suggestion. The first thing I did that day was hit Splash Mountain. Great idea!

Amy on February 28th, 2012 at 4:45 pm

watch the sunrise from high atop the PeopleMover-it’s always my first ride. Good luck tomorrow, Nate! Stay caffeinated! :)

Jordan on February 28th, 2012 at 4:45 pm

is the first time that Disney 24 has ever happened at the Magic Kingdoms?

Mike on February 28th, 2012 at 5:19 pm

First stop: The Main Street Bake Shop on Main Street USA for LARGE amounts of coffee, an egg & cheese croissant and a chocolate crosiant or two to go. :) That should do for about the first 4-6 hours! Can’t wait!!,

Margaret on February 28th, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I am going to straight to get my Leap Day Ears! I hope to be watching the sunrise inside the Magic Kingdom shortly after that. There are so many things to do and finally, so much time to do them all! I can’t wait. I need to head off to bed. The alarm is set for 3am, so that I can be there for rope drop. Yipee!

Peter on February 28th, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I would “live” the day in the park……starting off with a shave and haircut at the main street barbershop and slowly working my way through all the lands.

Carlos on February 28th, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Anybody know if they are passing out wrist bands & if so what time?

Shaili from IL on February 29th, 2012 at 12:31 am

Ride the Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion at 3 or 4am! Dry off with Space Mountain before 5am, and watch the sun rise as you stroll up Main Street for some Main Street Bakery pastries or cupcakes. Have fun!!

MONICA on February 29th, 2012 at 10:08 am

Have so much fun Nate!!! I would ride carousel of progress at least 3 times…I cannot get enough of that show! love it! For sure enjoy sun rise on main street!!!

Emily on February 29th, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Hmmmm… I would probably ride “Pirates of the Caribbean” first thing, head over to the bakery for an icecream sammich, thunder mountain, then head over to tomorrow land for the best of the best rides! I wish I was there!!!