'World of Color' at Disney California Adventure Park

A Look Back at the Disney Fantasy Construction

posted on February 15th, 2012 by Jason Lasecki, Public Relations Director, Disney Cruise Line, Adventures By Disney, Disney Vacation Club

Tomorrow the Disney Fantasy will set sail from Germany, starting her voyage across the Atlantic and marking yet another milestone in the ship’s construction process. As we look ahead to the maiden voyage on Mar. 31, let’s take a look back at the ship’s time in Germany.

Just over one year ago, on Feb. 11, 2011, Disney Cruise Line celebrated the Disney Fantasy keel laying at the Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg. This was when the first block, or section of the ship, was lowered into the building dock and a coin was placed under the keel for good fortune.

Disney Fantasy's Keel Laying Ceremony

The next great milestone was the mounting of the final block this past September, shifting the focus of construction to the interior portions of the ship and adding new spaces like AquaLab and Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.

Final Block of the Disney Fantasy Mounted

Then, on Jan. 9, the Disney Fantasy floated out of the enclosed building dock for the very first time, symbolizing one of the final stages of this ship’s construction and giving the world a first glimpse at the magnificent vessel.

Disney Fantasy Floats Out of the Enclosed Building Dock for the First Time

Two weeks later, she set out on a 30-mile journey down the winding Ems River to open sea.

Disney Fantasy Prepares for Transatlantic Voyage for Christening Ceremony in NYC

Today I’m sending you this update from Bremerhaven, Germany, where the ship docked after sea trials. Next up, the Disney Fantasy will begin her transatlantic voyage and stop in New York City for the ship’s christening ceremony!

Filed: Disney Cruise Line

Simon from MI on February 15th, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Great to see the ship’s progress, Jason. Looks like Meyer-Werft and Disney’s cruise team have surpassed themselves (again). Very exciting to look forward to the ship’s debut in Florida. Have a wonderful time in New York!

Sarah on February 15th, 2012 at 12:28 pm

She is beautiful…

David from TX on February 15th, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I am so excited about this ship. We get to go on her 9th sailing and it will be my very first cruise. Thank you soooo much for posting throughout the past year and updating us on her construction. This trip is going to be so amazing, I actually tear up from excitement when I see the ship! Thanks Disney! This will be a huge dream come true for me. :)

Bryan from ON on February 15th, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I can’t wait to take my kids on a Disney Cruise! My wife and I went on one for our honeymoon. It was fantastic! Nobody does it better that Disney!

barbara on February 15th, 2012 at 12:42 pm

So looking forward to the maiden voyage. It will be #51 for us on Disney. In the meantime, only 31 days left till #50, the golden cruise!!!! Love DCL!!!

Alecia from LA on February 15th, 2012 at 1:02 pm

It has been exciting keeping up with the progress of the building of the Disney Fantasy. It will definitely feel like I “know” the ship by the time my family and I sail later this year.

Marcia from NH on February 15th, 2012 at 1:07 pm

When is the christening? I would like to attend that if at all possible since it will be in NY.

becky on February 15th, 2012 at 1:17 pm

can’t wait to set sail. Never was on a new ship. Counting the days.

Paula on February 15th, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I am taking my 2 grandsons on the 2nd voyage and is very excited to go….we went on our first Disney cruise last year on the Dream….I can only imagine how great the Fantasy is going to be!!!! Sooooo excited!!!! :)

Missy on February 15th, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I can’t wait!! I will be on the Earmark Cruise March 23rd! My first cruise ever, and I get to start on the best of the best!! I heart Disney!!

Edmund from FL on February 16th, 2012 at 6:41 am

Does anyone know if there will be preview cruises before the Maiden Voyage like there was for the Disney DREAM?

Kimberly from MA on February 16th, 2012 at 8:40 am

Marcia,

The christening ceremony is closed to the public, but you can watch the ship sail up past the statue of liberty. I also plan on driving to NY that day. I believe it arrives in NY on Mar 1.

Patricia from NY on February 23rd, 2012 at 1:43 pm

has the ship arrived in nyc yet?

samantha on February 26th, 2012 at 9:49 am

im going on the fantasy on march 8th and can not wait!!! my brother is part of the magic and is on his way across the atlantic now…hope everyone enjoys it cause im sure i will!