Hyperion Theater at Disney California Adventure Park

A Marquee Milestone at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort at Walt Disney World Resort

posted on February 21st, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

I’m happy to start off the week by sharing a fun update on Disney’s Art of Animation Resort.

Walt Disney Imagineering Adds Finishing Touches to Disney's Art of Animation Resort's Marquee

Last week, Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) put the finishing touches on the new resort’s marquee. Measuring in at 46 feet, six inches, the resort’s sign now holds the record as the largest freestanding marquee at Walt Disney World Resort. (Incidentally, it’s 18 inches taller than the famous “HOLLYWOOD” sign in Los Angeles, Calif.).

The photo, supplied by WDI, shows three layers of development the marquee went through in its creation – from digital design, to model, to full-scale installation.

Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, which will feature four wings dedicated to popular films Finding Nemo, Cars, The Lion King and The Little Mermaid, will open in phases beginning May 31.

Filed: Behind the Scenes, Hotels & Resorts, Walt Disney World Resort

Barbara from MI on February 21st, 2012 at 11:48 am

Can’t wait to stay there someday!

stewart on February 21st, 2012 at 1:49 pm

looking very good cant wait to stay there in january 2013 kids very excited

christine on February 21st, 2012 at 2:35 pm

We are staying there beginning June 16th. Can’t wait!!!

Theresa from TX on February 21st, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Can’t wait to check in on opening day!!! May 31rst only 100 more days! I’m bringing my sister, her husband, their 2 year od daughter and my 19 year old daughter! We are sooo excited to see it!!

John from TX on February 21st, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Looks awsome.thought it was a value resort.but the prices are a lot more than the moderate resorts . Whats up with that?Jennifers post are cool though.Good updates.THANKS JOHN.

Nicholas from OH on February 22nd, 2012 at 8:30 am

‘s is in the name. Thought Disney was going with just Disney on everything.

Sergio on February 22nd, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Staying there in december 2012 with the family¡¡¡ Can´t come soon enough¡¡¡

William on February 22nd, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I saw it last week while I was driving around the WDW Resort. It looks wonderful. Can’t wait to stay there someday.

Ryan on February 22nd, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Checking in on May 31st! CAN’T WAIT! OPENING DAY!

Pamela from FL on February 22nd, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I drove past this weekend and could see the sign from the road through the shrubbery. It looks really fun. Hopefully, we will get to stay there when they open.

Bridget from IA on February 24th, 2012 at 1:32 am

Definantly will be staying here on our next trip!

Skip from FL on February 26th, 2012 at 11:31 pm

#5 – John from TX
The prices you are seeing are probably just for the first phase which are family suites, the standard rooms open later (see October blog for more details).

#6 – Nicholas from OH
Is that a new policy?

Dustin on February 27th, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Frankly, I’m still puzzled about the rationale behind there being a wing for Finding Nemo and a wing for Little Mermaid. Both are undoubtedly outstanding franchises, but I would think they’re too similar (esp with just four wings) to both be included. Any insight Jennifer? Still, I’m sure The Mouse will make the wings spectacular…

Doug on February 29th, 2012 at 11:48 am

can’t wait to stay there starting June 17th. everything looks awesome.

Devon on March 1st, 2012 at 9:37 am

We’re checking into a Cars family suite on Dec 9th. We’re oh-so-excited. And I read the blog post on the food court and it sounds awesome.

JoAnne on March 14th, 2012 at 11:20 am

We’re checking into a Lion King Family Suite on December 3rd, and I can’t wait!! We stayed at Pop Century last time we were there and realized we needed more room. The suites here give us the extra space we need at an affordable price. I love what Disney has done so far with the resort, and I can’t wait to check in and check out all the magic first-hand!