Disney Parks Blog Celebrates the 15th Anniversary of Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Eight Lands to Explore at the Expanded Disney California Adventure Park This Summer

posted on February 8th, 2012 by Erin Glover, Social Media Director, Disneyland Resort

Birdseye View of New Lands Coming to Disney California Adventure Park at Disneyland Resort

Today marks the 11th anniversary of Disney California Adventure park, and we’ve got some exciting news to share! When the expansion of the park is complete this summer, guests will have a total of eight themed lands to explore. With the addition of two new areas — Buena Vista Street and Cars Land — and slight changes to the names of some existing areas, the total number of themed lands will increase to eight and include:

• “a bug’s land”
  • Buena Vista Street
  • Cars Land
  • Condor Flats
  • Grizzly Peak
  • Hollywood Land
  • Pacific Wharf
  • Paradise Pier

As you already know, each of these lands will be filled with even more to do and see at Disney California Adventure park, including Mad T Party and Ghirardelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop. All of these new lands and experiences will cap off a five-year expansion which has included the addition of Toy Story Mania!, Mickey’s Fun Wheel, “World of Color,” Silly Symphony Swings, The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, Goofy’s Sky School, Paradise Garden Grill and Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta.

The new themed lands will be added to guide maps when the expansion is complete this summer. In the meantime, keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog for continued updates on all the new experiences coming to Disney California Adventure park!

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort

22 Comments 1 Reply

Bobby from CA on February 8th, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Is there an exact opening day for Cars Land, Buena Vista Street, and the Ghirardhelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop?

Makenzie on February 8th, 2012 at 4:10 pm

That map looks amazing! I am so excited about the soda fountain shop — I literally just tweeted back @DisneyParks because they mentioned the one in WDW, and said DLR needs one too. Can’t wait — will definitely be worth navigating summer crowds. :)

Fred from CA on February 8th, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I’m so excited! I can’t wait for Buena Vista Street and especially Cars Land!

I heard on the news today that Disney announced Cars land will open in June, but there is still no official word on an exact date.

Dan on February 8th, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Someone saud that Cars Land will be open June 14th. Is that still true or did they delay the opening?

Dean on February 8th, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Can’t wait until August…

Jessica on February 8th, 2012 at 8:00 pm

June 15th is opening day for the public,June 14th is for the media!

Gregory from PA on February 8th, 2012 at 8:16 pm

When did Hollywood Pictures Backlot officially become “Hollywood Land”?

Mya on February 8th, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Love it!

Kevin on February 8th, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I like this change, though it is strange to have a land (Pacific Wharf) without an actual attraction.

Which land would the Golden Vine Winery fall into?

Erin Glover on February 9th, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Hi Kevin – The Golden Vine Winery will be part of the Pacific Wharf area.

Jaye on February 8th, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I WISH that somewhere Disney would make a “Villain Land” !

Shaunnon from GA on February 9th, 2012 at 3:16 am

So, what do you do for an encore? :)

Fevzi from NY on February 9th, 2012 at 4:07 am

Hi,

Could you at least write the month please.

See you…

Gerald from MD on February 9th, 2012 at 6:16 am

Just an FYI: The real “Hollywood Land” in California was all one word. The original sign as erected in the 1920s read “HOLLYWOODLAND”. “LAND” was removed a few years later.

Darren on February 9th, 2012 at 11:41 am

I can’t wait for June 15th! We have our reservations already! I’m sure we’ll have to wait all day just to ride Radiator Springs Racers! Oh well! What a blast!

Diane from BC on February 9th, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I can’t wait for November….it is going to be a great time

David on February 9th, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Hi Erin, This looks really cool, I’m particularly excited about Cars Land. I live on the east coast, so it may be a while before I make it out there. I have a question, though. I’ve seen a set of pins for the new attractions (maybe even here on the blog), but I was wondering if the poster art for Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree found on that set of pins is available online. I have seen the Red Car Trolley poster art online, but no MJJ yet. Can you help?

Jessica on February 11th, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I’m so excited!

Diane on February 11th, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I can’t wait to get there and see Cars Land…. And Ghirardelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop. YAY

Alison on February 13th, 2012 at 3:18 pm

When does Carsland officially open? We are planning a trip, but do not want to miss Carsland!

Chloe on February 13th, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I dont understand why they are make “Buena Vista” street I think it was a stupid idea. I felt that the california landmarks such as the golden gate bridge and the big california letters and sun waterfall really gave the feel of living in southern california. Also why would they put a trolly in that only takes you to the first land(hollywood) in the park and not the ones way in the back? Come on now people.

Fred from CA on February 14th, 2012 at 6:49 pm

“Also why would they put a trolly in that only takes you to the first land(hollywood) in the park and not the ones way in the back?”

For ambiance. Its all for the atmosphere and themeing. And its no different than the horse-drawn street cars at Disneyland, they only take people from Main Street to the hub, but that doesn’t mean its not a cool attraction that adds kinetic energy.

I think that the biggest reason why they are making Buena Vista Street is to transport people to a different time and place.

After all, every other Disney park to date has an entrance that transports its guests to a different time period. Its how Los Angeles looked when Walt Disney first arrived.

The original entrance to California Adventure was nice, but ultimately, it was too contemporary and did not transport people to a different time and place.

Mark on February 15th, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Not too keen on the Mad T Party idea. I would have loved to see another California 20′s themeed attraction, especially something like a “Silent Movie” stunt spectacular featuring “Douglas Fairbanks” and Buster Keaton or something.

If trying to keep with Disney theme, perhaps move it up to the 50′s and include stunt spectaculars featuring early Disney live-action films and shows such as Zorro, Davy Crocket, or something.