Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion Stretch Painting

Favorite Quick-Service Vegetarian Options at the Disneyland Resort

posted on February 9th, 2012 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

I just spent a week tasting my way through the Disneyland Resort and some of my favorite tastes were vegetarian – deliciously beyond salads and pastas.

Over a tofu scramble for breakfast at Tangaroa Terrace – Casual Island Dining (with a splash of Thai hot sauce), I counted off some of the best vegetarian finds of the week.

Other breakfast finds included the egg white and spinach burrito at Taste Pilot’s Grill at Disney California Adventure park, generously loaded with Portobello mushrooms, bell peppers and feta cheese, wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla.

At Disneyland park, I love anything sweet from the new Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe, but opted for the savory Jolly Holiday Caprese sandwich with tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, lettuce and basil vinaigrette on toasted focaccia – a stick-with-you breakfast.

Fried Green Tomato Sandwich, A Quick-Service Vegetarian Meal at Hungry Bear Restaurant at Disneyland Park

For lunch or dinner, it’s the fried green tomato sandwich at Hungry Bear Restaurant at Disneyland park, the fried tomatoes layered with fresh ones, topped with cheese, creamy remoulad and jicama-mango slaw on a multi-grain bun. You can share this one. Also at Disneyland park, we liked the vegetable po’boy at River Belle Terrace, a warm, tomatoey jumble of veggies on a sub roll.

Over at Disney California Adventure park, skip the dog and go for a Portobello mushroom Philly at Award Wieners with grilled portobellos, onions & bell peppers sautéed in Hefeweizen (wheat beer), topped with pepper jack cheese. Or the soft tacos with roasted veggies topped with cheese at Cocina Cucamonga. Yum!

Crispy Tofu Salad, A Quick-Service Vegeterian Meal at Tangaroa Terrace - Casual Island Dining at Disneyland Resort

Finally, it’s back to Tangaroa Terrace – Casual Island Dining, where I’ll mention just one salad: the crispy tofu salad with ginger-soy marinated tofu fried crispy in coconut panko bread crumbs, sitting atop fresh greens with a citrus vinaigrette. Behaving on vacation was never this easy.

What’s your favorite Disneyland Resort vegetarian meal?

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disney Dining, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

32 Comments 1 Reply

Elizabeth on February 9th, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Thanks so much for writing this post! I’ve been a vegetarian for over 8 years now and a Disney fan for life, so it’s really nice to see a decent guide to the good vegetarian options in the parks. :) It can get frustrating sometimes, not having the same ease of grabbing food as non-vegetarians.

I currently live in Florida, is there any chance of getting a post like this written for Walt Disney World? It would be very helpful!

Ashley on February 9th, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I’m not a vegetarian but I do happen to adore pretty much anything delicious such as the Hungry Bear Restaurant’s fried green tomato sandwich. I could eat one a day for the rest of my life, as long as it is accompanied by those amazing sweet potato fries. If I had the choice of the world’s greatest steak and this sandwich I would pick the sandwich. In my stomach’s opinion it is the best thing to happen to the refurbishment to Disneyland’s menus. Keep the great food coming! I can’t wait to try your new items.

Elizabeth from FL on February 9th, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I agree, Ashley! That sandwich is soooooo yummy! I wish I had had it more than once on my recent trip, but I was trying to sample different things.

Fred from CA on February 9th, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I agree! The fried green tomato sandwich is delicious!

Shari on February 9th, 2012 at 3:33 pm

That fried green tomato sandwich looks amazing! I am planning a trip to Disneyland in May for my anniversary and I am definately going to try that one!

Darren from CA on February 9th, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I was told by a cast member at Hungry Bear that the fried green tomato sandwhich comes with a sauce that has anchovies in it (but of course can be made without that sauce). Very helpful that the cast member pointed this out as I ordered……which was several months back so maybe that is not the case now. Just pointing out that anchovies usually don’t go with a vegetarian diet.

Pam Brandon on February 13th, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Hi Darren – The anchovies have been removed from the sauce on the fried green tomato sandwich, so not to worry! The way it is now being served is truly vegetarian.

Mariah from CA on February 9th, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I’m going vegetarian (more vegan) along with gluten free and was really happy with the choices I had this last weekend. Disney is great with food allergies (and I have a LONG list). Couple other places I enjoyed for quick service in DCA are Lucky Fortune Cookery and Paradise Grill.

Kyra on February 9th, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Stop making me hungry, Pam!

Caitlin on February 9th, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I know this is a mostly US-parks-focused blog, but it’d be lovely to get a post like this for Tokyo Disneyland (or DisneySea)! Mostly because I’m a vegetarian of 11 years and can only ever find vegetarian-friendly snacks, if even that, at the restaurants here. :(

Nicole on February 9th, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I used to love the fried green tomato sandwich, but I was told by an employee that there are anchovies used in the sauce (and I was very happy to be informed), however I miss the sandwich dearly. So I was wondering, since it made this list, if the sauce is no longer made with anchovies?

Kim from CA on February 9th, 2012 at 9:15 pm

My daughter LOVES the vegetarian gumbo in New Orleans Square. She has it at least once every time she visits the park. Would LOVE the recipe.

Craig from CA on February 9th, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Wow! When did they get fried green tomato sandwiches at Disneyland? I’m going there next time for sure!

Doris on February 9th, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I’m not vegetarian, but do enjoy fried green tomatoes, didn’t know where we could get them in the park, so thanks for that tip. My husband is diabetic, so has to eat more than his share of veggies, whether he wants to or not, so these tips are great to keep in mind for when we visit again.

Krista on February 9th, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Thank you so much for this! I hate to be a bother but could you do one for vegan food at Disneyland? It is so hard for us to find what is safe to eat there.

Neysa on February 10th, 2012 at 12:37 am

I LOVE this list! I’m so excited! But I do want to add, for you other vegetarians out there, there is some amazing vegetarian chili available (and in a delicious breadbowl!) at the Pacific Wharf Cafe in California Adventure. I try to get some every time I visit- obviously I’m hooked. And I think you would be too! Also here’s a link to all the restaurants at the Disney Resort that have veggie options. Happy eating! :)

Aimee on February 10th, 2012 at 1:48 am

Mmmmmm…This makes me soooo very happy. The last time I was at Disney I was pretty limited as to what I could get for vegetarian options. Now this will make my trips to Disney even better!!

I agree with Elizabeth. I am going to WDW for the first time this year and I have no idea on where to go to get vegetarian food. Any chance we will see a menu of options in the near future?

Liz on February 10th, 2012 at 3:48 am

I’m a veggie (of 16 years) and just got back from WDW. We were on the Dinning Plan (which I would never recommend for someone with special food wants/needs – it’s just too limiting) so I didn’t get to try many things that I really wanted. I can say that every restaurant has (at least) one entree option for vegetarians.
My favorites were:
• The Noodle Bowl at Hollywood Brown Derby in Disney’s Hollywood Studios (made with wok fried coconut tofu, soy beans, sugar snap peas, bok choy, and Shiitake mushrooms in red curry broth). I ordered mine minus the curry, mushrooms and bok choy (pickiness along with veggie). I’m not a tofu person but this tofu was simply amazing (if you like coconut).
• Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney was fantastic and had several choices
• Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe in Magic Kingdom has a veggie burger which isn’t special BUT there is a whole area to dress your taco salads so load up that veggie burger – I added pepperchinis, lettuce and mustard!

Hope this helps those of you who are visiting WDW. We are going to Disneyland in just a couple weeks so I’m really looking forward to trying some of these items.

Mariana on February 10th, 2012 at 10:24 am

Would be great to see a post like this about WDW. =)

Krista on February 10th, 2012 at 10:39 am

Actually, I was thinking what would be even better is if you had a list on Disneylands webpage of vegan and vegetarian items, in addition to the wonderful blog post.

Melisa on February 10th, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Last year we enjoyed the veggie soft tacos and yummy tortilla chips with salsa for dinner. For lunch Dh had vegetarian chili in a sourdough bread bowl. I’m not as strict with myself so I had clam chowder in the sourdough bread bowl, which is one of my favorite DL foods. I’m looking forward to trying some of these foods mentioned since we will be in the parks for three days this time.

Nancy on February 10th, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Even though I am not a vegetarian, I whole-heartedly recommend the fried green tomato sandwich at Hungry Bear for its wonderful flavor and uniqueness. Also amazing is the veggie skewer (Safari Skewer?) at the Bengal BBQ in Adventureland at Disneyland. It’s a big skewer and the veggies are always cooked perfectly. DH and I like to get a couple of meat skewers each then share a veggie skewer for a nice, healthy meal. At DCA, I enjoy the tofu bowl at Lucky Fortune Cookery, particularly with the Thai Green Curry sauce, and the grilled tofu skewer at Paradise Garden Grill.

Barbara from CA on February 10th, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Everyone in my family is a vegetarian and we are so pleased with all of the options we now have at Disneyland. The fried green tomato sandwich is definitely our favorite with the tofu bowl at Lucky Fortune Cookery a close second. Keep up the good work. We really appreciate it!

Lisa from VA on February 11th, 2012 at 8:54 am

Mariana, there is an article on Huffington Post about vegetarian and allergy offerings at WDW. I posted the link yesterday, but the Blog did not accept it. Hopefully they post this one. You can try to Google it.

Matthew from FL on February 12th, 2012 at 8:07 am

Tangierine Cafe at Epcot’s Morocco Pavilion has a wonderful vegetarian platter (hummus, lentils, olive salad, pita bread, etc.) as well as a falafel wrap. Great quick service veggie food!

We definitely need more quick service veggie options (other than veggie burgers) at WDW. DL and DCA have loads more options it seems.

Disneyland Paris has a wonderful assortment, but as another guest pointed out – Disneyland Tokyo has almost nil. They have ONE sitdown restaurant on Main Street with ONE single entree (pasta with marinara), and that’s literally about it.

Anderson on February 12th, 2012 at 11:29 am

As a note, I was told that the remoulade in the slaw on the green tomato sandwich has anchovies in it by a cast member, so if you are a vegetarian who does not eat fish, you may want to steer clear of that.

Marcy from AZ on February 12th, 2012 at 11:55 am

Yummy!

Kathryn from ON on February 13th, 2012 at 9:28 am

After I Googled the article Mariana mentioned, I also found from the mouse’s mouth on the Disneyland site

This will be helpful as I had a wild reaction to the marinara sauce I chose specifically because everything else had things I can’t tolerate. Not good the day before a half marathon. No I didn’t ask, but what else is in marinara but tomatoes, onions, and herbs, right? Now, I won’t feel like I am a bother and I will inquire.

Kathryn from ON on February 13th, 2012 at 9:31 am

Sorry, I meant the article Lisa mentioned!

Darren from CA on February 13th, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Thanks for the update Pam (glad the Fried Green Tomato sandwhich is truly vegetarian now).

Keri on February 19th, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I was so happy when Hungry Bear (my lunch place of choice) started serving that Fried Green Tomato sandwich. It’s great to see a yummy, creative dish for the vegetarians. I hope it stays on the menu for a long time.

I’ve also had good luck at the Pizza Port with veggie pizza, already-veggie salads, or having custom salads made (for instance, making the Planetary Pizza salad without pepperoni). The Cast Members have always been friendly about doing this, but I won’t ask if they’re swamped.

Marjorie on February 20th, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I see a few hidden treasures in here that I hadn’t seen before! I’m an omnivore but there are definitely times when I don’t want meat, and a couple of my Disneyland accomplices are vegetarians, so it’s nice to see the options expanding! Something that should make vegans happy is that the Jolly Holiday Bakery will do a soymilk substitution on request. Since I have a dairy allergy, I asked, totally not expecting a yes, and it really improved my caffeine-deprived Grumpy mood. Please keep that as an option!

Jared on February 21st, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Thanks for writing this post!! My girlfriend and I have passes and go often and i’m giving up meat for lent so im glad i can still eat within the park :D