The American Idol Experience at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Disney Fantasy Christening Ceremony in New York City

posted on March 2nd, 2012 by Tom Staggs, Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts

Tom Staggs, Mariah Carey, Bob Iger and Mickey Mouse at the Christening Ceremony of the Disney Fantasy

It’s hard to believe it was just over a year ago that we launched the Disney Dream. And yet here we are, marking another significant Disney Cruise Line milestone – the christening of the Disney Fantasy.

Neil Patrick Harris at the Disney Fantasy Christening Ceremony in New York City

During a star-studded celebration in New York Harbor last night, Disney President and CEO Bob Iger and I were joined by the ship’s godmother, Mariah Carey, and of course, Mickey Mouse, to do the honors and officially welcome this stunning new ship into the Disney family. As if Mariah and Mickey weren’t enough star power, Jerry Seinfeld, Neil Patrick Harris and Nick Cannon were also on-hand to help us commemorate this momentous occasion.

Now that the ship has been christened, the Disney Fantasy and her phenomenal cast and crew will head south to the ship’s new home in Port Canaveral to prepare for the upcoming Maiden Voyage on March 31.

Building the Disney Fantasy truly was a labor of love. As with the Disney Dream, our Imagineers worked closely with the team at Meyer Werft Shipyard in Germany to construct this spectacular addition to our fleet, one that builds on the creativity, innovation and artistry that are hallmarks of the Disney Cruise Line. I’d like to again thank the thousands of Imagineers, designers, artists and craftspeople who worked so tirelessly for more than two years to bring the Disney Fantasy to life.

The Fantasy has some favorite elements from the Disney Dream, like the AquaDuck and our enchanted artwork. And since guests aboard the Fantasy will spend more time with us on longer, seven-night itineraries, our Imagineers mixed in some new magic, like our two new Broadway-style shows, “Disney’s Wishes” and “Disney’s Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular” and the AquaLab, a brand-new water play area for the entire family.

With the addition of the Disney Fantasy, our fleet of ships has doubled – giving us the ability to offer more destinations and flexibility to our guests around the world than ever before. But more importantly, it gives us the opportunity to do what we do best… connecting friends and families to the Disney stories, characters and music they love to help make memories that last a lifetime.

Filed: Celebrity Visits, Disney Cruise Line

Philip on March 2nd, 2012 at 8:57 am

I like the “I love New York” shirts being worn by the dancers in the last picture.

Looking forward to sailing on the Fantasy.

Erika from MO on March 2nd, 2012 at 9:42 am

I like watching the ship come to life. I realy like the shirts and Chip and Dale are in the spot light.

Can not wait to set sail in December!!!

Carolyn from CA on March 2nd, 2012 at 10:07 am

I think it is a shame you did not webcast the christening as you did for the Dream. I was really looking forward to watching it. The recap is “nice” but really does not say much about the event.

Maybe you could post a video of the event. Please not a short cut out the good parts recap as you did for the Dream.

Kimberly from MA on March 2nd, 2012 at 10:11 am

Will we be seeing some video from the ceremony? I’m SO excited about my cruise on the Fantasy in September!! I’ve been watching this ship come to life all the way from the keel laying ceremony. Thanks for sharing!

Stephen on March 2nd, 2012 at 11:15 am

I hope you post a video of the event, or at the least some highlights.

Frank from IL on March 2nd, 2012 at 11:43 am

I agree, it was a shame you left out your fans and didn’t webcast it like the Dream, and hope you provide video of the event at least.

Tweeting the event?

Sharon from FL on March 2nd, 2012 at 11:45 am

I was really looking forward to a video of this, similar to what you did for the Dream. Is one coming?

Denise on March 2nd, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Cannot wait until December to ride the AquaDuck!

Andrew from NJ on March 4th, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I agree with some of the others, a webcast of the evening would have been much more enjoyable for those of us who have supported DCL since it first started sailing back in 1998. I for one, and I know others did, felt left out of the whole Christening experience.

Edmund from FL on March 5th, 2012 at 6:28 am

I really like the way Disney celebrates events and I am sure this one was spectacular as well. The video of the Christening was good, only way too short. I have sailed on the WONDER, MAGIC and this year I will sail on the DREAM…looking forward to sailing on the FANTASY on 09/21/2013, only 565 more days!!!

Diane on March 7th, 2012 at 11:49 am

It was so cool to see the ship close up when it was here in NY. I was in awe of it’s size and want to take another Disney cruise