Disney Cruise Line

Red Car Trolley Tests the Track at Disney California Adventure Park

posted on March 28th, 2012 by Erin Glover, Social Media Director, Disneyland Resort

“The

Clang! Clang! Clang! … went the Red Car Trolley as it started making test runs through Hollywood Pictures Backlot (soon to be called Hollywood Land) at Disney California Adventure park recently. Take a look at these photos from Disneyland Chief Photographer Paul Hiffmeyer!

“Fun

Paul also grabbed this shot from inside the trolley – check out these fun ads for some of the food and merchandise locations that will be featured on Buena Vista Street.

“The

The Red Car Trolley, inspired by the historic Pacific Electric Red Cars which once criss-crossed the Los Angeles area, will make its debut on June 15 when Buena Vista Street opens at Disney California Adventure park.

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Behind the Scenes, Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort

Dean on March 28th, 2012 at 6:06 pm

That’s amazing! Looks great!

Fred from CA on March 28th, 2012 at 6:13 pm

It looks awesome! I love those vintage looking ads.

Brett from CA on March 28th, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I am SO excited to see these! Transportation will bring such a magical ambiance to the streets of California Adventure. Absolutely THRILLED!

Erika on March 28th, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I can’t wait to ride this. It looks amazing and wonderful fun for the kids, and the kids at heart. It is amazing what you are doing at DCA and DL. Keep thinking of new ways to grab our attention. Love it!

Debe from WA on March 28th, 2012 at 6:49 pm

So excited to see. Be thre for DD in August.

Lori from CA on March 28th, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Plans are already in place for a Halloween trip in October. Can hardly wait to ride on a Red Car.

Roger on March 28th, 2012 at 7:02 pm

“I bought the Red Car so I could dismantle it.”
-Judge Doom, Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Looking great, Disney California Adventure!

Cory from AB on March 28th, 2012 at 7:14 pm

That looks fantastic! It definitely adds atmosphere, vitality and authenticity to Hollywoodland. Great job!

Ismael from CA on March 28th, 2012 at 7:23 pm

They look great and will add so much kinetic movement to BVS when they open. Are there still plans to call the parade corridor Camino Real?

If there is there a possibility of seeing more transportation vehicles driving up and down the parade corridor connecting BVS to Paradise Pier and the Wharf?

That would be such a great addition and give the long parade route some live when not in use

brett from CA on March 28th, 2012 at 7:24 pm

WOW I LOVE IT will it have the song in the trolley from broadway musical meet me in st. louis ?

Luke from CA on March 28th, 2012 at 7:29 pm

So you’re changing the name of the ice cream shop? No more Brr-rr-rrbank Ice Cream? Bummer. I work in Burbank, and I always appreciated the pun.
Can’t wait for the trolley, though. Looks great.

Randy on March 28th, 2012 at 7:36 pm

It looks great. What terrific interpretation.

Zachary on March 28th, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I think I’m in love! It looks fantastic!

Could we get some pictures of the other Trolley? I’d love to hear more about the historical background of the Trolleys too!

Thanks!

Erin Glover on March 29th, 2012 at 11:56 am

Hi Zachary – You can read more about the Red Car Trolley and the Pacific Electric Railway, by which the new attraction was inspired, in this recent Disney Parks Blog post: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/10/red-car-trolley-at-disney-california-adventure-park-will-be-a-ride-back-in-time/

Ryan on March 28th, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Paul has such a great job…I’m jealous! Everything is looking so great.

Mike on March 28th, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Wow! The Imagineers who are working on this project should be very proud of their beautiful creations.

ryan from FL on March 28th, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Wish we had this at Hollywood Studios. :(

Kevin on March 29th, 2012 at 12:28 am

I’m sure Cars Land will be really fun but truth be told the Red Car Trolley is easily the thing I am most looking forward to when all the DCA improvements open in June. I can’t wait!

John from NS on March 29th, 2012 at 10:35 am

Will there be any references or allusions to the Red Car Trolly and the movie “Who Framed Roger Rabbit”? Along with the Roger Rabbit ride in Toontown (if its still there) this would just be one more parallel to sweeten the ties between an awesome theme park and a innovative piece of cinema. Hopefully its welcome addition to DCA will convince the imaginEARs in florida to bring a Red Car Trolly system to DHS down Hollywood and Sunset blvds – reminicent of the horse drawn carrigaes in MK.

Amber from CA on March 29th, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I’m so excited for this attraction!

What I’m really hoping is that there will be a shirt featuring the simple, circle Red Car logo on it. Like something with the first image on this blog post

That image would look stunning on a plain black t-shirt or sweatshirt. Any chance we’ll see such an item for sale in the park?

Erin Glover on March 29th, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Amber – Keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog. We’ll have updates on Red Car Trolley and other Buena Vista Street merchandise soon.

Mike on March 29th, 2012 at 1:50 pm

This is awesome! I can’t wait for the new entry plaza to open. The trolleys are a great touch of class, and will honestly remind me more of the streetcars we have here in New Orleans than anything I’ve seen in LA. The vintage theme is going to be great, although I will certainly miss the old entry plaza; the wave fountain and massive sun sculpture really captured the feeling of a Summer day in California.

Mark on March 29th, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I am excited for this new attraction coming to Disney California Adventure Park.

As a historian I am glad to see the Red Car. The Pacific Electric Railway served many lines throughout the Greater Los Angeles area. Frances A. Nixon, President Richard Nixon’s father, was a motorman for the railway. This attraction will reintroduce this great railway of the past to world guests that visit the Disneyland resort.

Now I get to ride the Red Car like my father use to as a child living in Los Angeles.

Rebecca on March 29th, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I am so excited. :)

Kynna from TX on March 31st, 2012 at 9:54 am

I am so excited to be able to step back in time and experience Walt’s California. This is the perfect way to tie in California Adventure to Disneyland. So many of us go there because it is the first and to have a further opportunity to experience Walt Disney history is exciting.

Ryan on April 1st, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I too am a super huge Roger Rabbit fan and am wondering if there will be any Roger Rabbit tributes in the park like there are at the Disney Studios Park at Walt Disney World? Also wondering if the Jolly Trolly at Toon Town will ever be active again if you got these regular trollies up and running?

Kyra on April 7th, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Clarabelle’s Ice Cream? As in Clarabelle the cow? And the Mortimer’s place- Mortimer was the original name for Mickey.