Vegetarians rejoice! This delicious spin on the classic shepherd’s pie is one of our Disneyland Resort test kitchen favorites for the menu at Flo’s V8 Café in Cars Land – and now you won’t have to wait until the grand opening on June 15 to try it.
Made with veggie crumbles instead of ground beef and topped with a mound of mashed potatoes and gooey melted cheese on top, we think even our carnivorous pals will love this satisfying dish.
Chef Sean Layne shows how easy it is to create this one-dish wonder. If you can’t find bulgur wheat, you can substitute whole-wheat couscous. And you’ll find the veggie crumbles in the supermarket produce aisle.
Veggie Tater Casserole
3/4 cup bulgur wheat
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2/3 cup diced onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 2 small cloves)
2/3 cup diced zucchini
2/3 cup diced yellow squash
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
2 1/2 cups vegetarian sausage crumbles, such as Morningstar Farms
Coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 cups prepared mashed potatoes
6 deli-style slices cheddar or 3/4 cup shredded cheddar
- Place bulgur in a large, heatproof bowl; cover with boiling water. Set aside for 15 minutes; drain excess water and set bulgur aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan; add onions and cook until translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high and add zucchini, squash, and peppers. Cook, stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in sausage crumbles and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes more.
- Add bulgur to pan, stirring to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into a 9×9 baking dish, packing firmly with a spatula.
- Spread mashed potatoes over mixture, then top with cheddar.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and light brown at the edges. Let cool 3 to 4 minutes, then cut into squares and serve hot.