Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Main Street, U.S.A., During the Holidays at Disneyland Park

VIDEO: Constructing the Sorcerer Mickey Topiary at the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival

posted on March 9th, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

If you head out to the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival this year, one of the first sights you’ll see is an eight-foot-tall Sorcerer Mickey topiary, which sits just inside the park’s gate.

Standing atop a 12-foot-tall floral mountain cliff, Sorcerer Mickey directs a riot of dancing broomsticks, buckets, mushrooms, hippos, alligators and elephants. The scene, inspired by Disney’s “Fantasia,” is constructed out of pink geraniums, white poppies and violet petunias, among other flowers.

Here’s a behind-the-scenes look at how the topiary – one of the largest ever featured at the festival – was constructed.

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Behind the Scenes, Epcot, Special Events, Walt Disney World Resort

Dale from MD on March 9th, 2012 at 5:21 pm

The horticulture team has totally topped themselves this year! Can not wait to see this in person in April with our extended family (all 11 of us!)

Erik from CA on March 9th, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Sorcerer Mickey…my favorite! Congratulats to the Disney horticulture team for creating what surely will be true Disney “flower power” magic this year!

Laura on March 10th, 2012 at 7:13 am

Kudos to the entire team who designed and implemented this beautiful “attraction”! DIsney’s commitment to imagination, artistry, and entertainment from design to implementation sincerely inspires me every day! Thank you to each person for doing your part and thank you for posting this video!

Lacey on March 10th, 2012 at 10:33 am

I’m disappointed I won’t be able to see this in person, I love when Disney brings back the classics!

Paul on March 10th, 2012 at 9:29 pm

We walked by the empty planter the night before, and were amazed to see a beautiful, brand new, display installed the next morning at 8am. What an amazing coordinated effort between the design staff, horticulture team and operations crew!

Salvatore from FL on March 11th, 2012 at 9:00 am

This looks so cool. Great job as always. I’ll be at Epcot next weekend for St. Paddys weekend. Can’t wait to take some pics of this and all the other great topiaries.

john from FL on March 11th, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Once again you hit it out of the Park.Mickey LOOKS GREAT and with the Brooms it just makes the whole piece..

Robert from TX on March 12th, 2012 at 11:50 am

so pretty! Wish I could go see it in person this year…..

Brian on March 14th, 2012 at 9:32 am

I can only imagine what my daughters would think if they were there one day and the planter was empty, and come back the next morning to see this have “magically appeared”. It would be like Christmas Day for them!
This is part of the true magic of the Disney Parks, and part of why I keep returning.

Courtney on March 14th, 2012 at 9:34 am

I hope someone from the horticulture team gets to read these comments, and they know their work is truly appreciated. And whoever worked on the dancing hippos – I’m sending you a hug from Virginia! I have to say though, it was odd to see Spaceship Earth NOT lit up…