Halloween at Walt Disney World Resort

Video: Godmother Mariah Carey Christens the Disney Fantasy in New York City

posted on March 2nd, 2012 by Jason Lasecki, Public Relations Director, Disney Cruise Line, Adventures By Disney, Disney Vacation Club

Wow, what a Thursday night in New York City for Disney Cruise Line. As Tom Staggs shared earlier, we christened the newest ship in our fleet, the Disney Fantasy, with a grand ceremony that included celebrity performances, the introduction of a world-class crew and the official announcement of the ship’s godmother, Mariah Carey. Disney CEO Bob Iger and Tom once again presided over the gala ceremony. Here’s a look at the festivities.

And the best part is that there’s more to come. The Disney Fantasy begins sailing on March 31, 2012. She will sail from Port Canaveral, Fla., on seven-night Caribbean itineraries. Be sure and check the Disney Parks Blog for more on the maiden voyage.

Filed: Celebrity Visits, Disney Cruise Line

Alice on March 2nd, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Gosh, I hope to take this cruise one day with my grandchildren!

john on March 2nd, 2012 at 2:03 pm

can”t wait to cruise on her in september

john on March 2nd, 2012 at 2:10 pm

can”t wait to take the family on her in september the 22nd. then after the cruise stay in disney at the polynesian resort

barbara from FL on March 2nd, 2012 at 2:28 pm

So looking forward to the maiden. #51 for us and only 15 days till #50 on the Magic. Still angry the christening was in N.Y. when the ship will call Port Canaveral home. Shame on you Disney, you just slapped your biggest supporters in the face.

tim on March 2nd, 2012 at 2:33 pm

The days of when a child would go on a cruise and have nothing to do are over. I went on one 35 years ago and had to find stuff to keep me entertained. Someday I’ll be able to take one of these cruises and have fun!!!

Sue on March 2nd, 2012 at 2:36 pm

April 28th…..can’t wait!

Stephanie on March 2nd, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I don’t live in New York, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and I think it’s nice that Disney has given other cities a chance to experience a Christening. I would hope some day to be able to see one of the ships in SF and sail away on it!!

Danielle on March 2nd, 2012 at 2:58 pm

We just sailed on the Dream to the Bahamas in January and can’t wait to be able to go to the Caribbean on the Fantasy…hopefully in the next few years!!

Paula on March 2nd, 2012 at 3:00 pm

How exciting is this!!! I am taking my grandsons on the Fantasy April 7th……I can’t wait!!!!

Manuel on March 2nd, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Fantastic show. Where can I see the whole event.

2012 NYE Fantasy Cruise, here we come !

Mashelle on March 2nd, 2012 at 3:35 pm

WHAT A BEAUIFULL SHIP CAN’T WAITE UNTIL I SAIL ON HER IN SEPTEMBER 22 MY BIRTHDAY TWO HUNDRED AND THREE DAYS AWAY

Robin from IN on March 2nd, 2012 at 4:38 pm

The ship looks amazing!!!I can’t wait to sail on Sept.15,2012.We sailed the Disney Dream last Sept.I can’t wait to compare!!!

Ryan on March 2nd, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Exciting video, I cannot wait to sail on Disney Fantasy later this year.

D. Eks on March 2nd, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Hmm, someone angry about the ship being christened in NYC. Another ticked about choices over who the godmother is. Well…back to the stuff that REALLY matters – we have a new ship to sail on and she looks beautiful. Looking forward to sail on her later in the year.

leanne from act on March 2nd, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Hey Brent the Cruise Director – I recognise that accent. You’re a long way from home! Have to admit – your style reminds me of the Wiggles – and well – those guys are fantastic! Good for you, mate

Bradley from Western Australia on March 2nd, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I think Jennifer Hudson as Godmother of the Dream was a genius move, given her DCL background.

But this? I just don’t get it! Surely someone with a strong Disney history would have been a far better choice – Julie Andrews, Jodi Benson, Russi Taylor, Kathryn Beaumont…

leanne from act on March 2nd, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Hey Brent the Cruise Director! I recognise that accent – a long way from home. Love your style – good for you!

Janet on March 3rd, 2012 at 1:12 am

The new ship looks wonderful. One day I hope to sail on her. Congratulations, Disney, on the new addition to your fleet.

Jon from TX on March 3rd, 2012 at 9:42 am

Congrats Mariah! I couldn’t think of a better Fairy God Mother. I think it is wonderful how the DISNEY COMPANY stays modern with all their decisions concerning P.R., Safety, going green, and cast member support. I never thought this forum would print such negative guest views. The blog is how I start every day. It begins my day with magic and positive addiction. Just like the parks, I am in love with this daily magazine and all it offers. Thank You to the hard working people of DISNEY PARKS BLOG.

Tammy from LA on March 3rd, 2012 at 10:21 am

Sailed last year with my daughter on the Dream, and hope to sail on the Fantasy to the Caribbean…maybe in a couple of years.

Alecia from LA on March 4th, 2012 at 9:56 pm

The video captured a tiny piece of the fabulous chandelier on the Fantasy. I can’t wait to see it and the entire ship in person when we sail later this year.

Diane on March 7th, 2012 at 11:50 am

Beautiful Ship would love to see the inside, the outside looks spectacular Love Dumbo on back ;-)

Mouse Fan Diane

Patricia from PA on March 7th, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Ssiling on June 30, 2012. Can’t wait. This will be my third different Disney ship. Still need to try the Dream.

Brittany on March 8th, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Awesome!! What does Mariah Carey being the godmother mean?

annabel on March 21st, 2012 at 2:16 am

We have the MAGIC under our belts (2011), so now we anxiously await our date with FANTASY on 09-22-12! Disney knows what they are doing…..and what they do is ALWAYS AMAZING! WE BELIEVE!