Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom Park

Vintage Walt Disney World: Disney’s Doug Live! Debuts

posted on March 8th, 2012 by Nate Rasmussen, Archivist, Marketing Resource Center

On March 8, 1999, Disney’s Doug Live! debuted in the ABC TV Theater at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, bringing 12-year-old Doug Funnie, his dog Porkchop, best friend Skeeter, secret crush Patti Mayonnaise, and class bully Roger to life.

Disney’s Doug Live! Debuts in the ABC TV Theater at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

In the show, Doug, who lives on 21 Jumbo Street and is an avid journal writer, wins tickets to see his favorite band, The Beets, in concert and tries to muster up enough courage to ask Patti to go to the concert with him.

Disney’s Doug Live! Debuts in the ABC TV Theater at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

After trying hard to impress Patti, Doug ultimately wins Patti’s affection by just being himself. Patti even shares her Red Hots (right out of the box) with Doug. Young love is so cute.

Filed: Disney History, Disney's Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World Resort

Kimberly from MA on March 8th, 2012 at 10:37 am

I used to LOVE Doug!! Never saw the live show though… Some cartoon characters don’t translate into real life very well……

Stephen from Warwickshire on March 8th, 2012 at 10:53 am

This was the start of the decline of the ABC Theater attractions.

Doug on March 8th, 2012 at 11:16 am

I never got to see this show in person, but I’ve seen videos and heard the songs, and I really like it! Thanks for highlighting this forgotten attraction!

Nate Rasmussen on March 8th, 2012 at 1:14 pm

You’re welcome. :)

Samantha on March 8th, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I love Doug. I never saw the live show! I would love to see it. Gotta start on that time machine. lol!

Franki on March 8th, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Wow, I was just thinking about this the other day. I used to love going to the live show. So many great memories. :)

Randy on March 8th, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Also, didn’t this studio house some of TV shows like “I love lucy and Home Improvement” as well too? Plus, we all know that it’s currently housing “The American Idol Experience”. ;) :)

Nate Rasmussen on March 9th, 2012 at 8:24 am

Yep, it was all part of a show called Superstar Television which is how the theater got its current name.

sherry on March 8th, 2012 at 5:48 pm

My oldes was four and we sat in there to watch Doug Live this was one of his favorite cartoons.

Valerie on March 9th, 2012 at 12:55 am

I can’t even count how many times I saw this show! It was my son’s favorite show both on TV & at the Studios. We have videos of it and they still will talk about how much they loved it. Thanks for highlighting one our favorites from the past!

Kim from NY on March 9th, 2012 at 9:21 am

Our son was 4 and he loved Doug both on tv and at the Studios as well. I can vividly remember him in his shorts, t-shirt and his vest completely with his baseball cap that had Doug on it watching that show in person. When it was time to pick extras from the audience a group of high school boys sitting behind us picked our son up and was trying to get him picked. He wasn’t picked but we still have very fond memories of Doug, Patti, and the Beets and still talk about it today! :-)

Marshal from FL on March 10th, 2012 at 2:01 pm

*starts to sing* “Down on 21 Jumbo Street!”