Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Happy Holidays from Disney's Contemporary Resort at Walt Disney World Resort

Weaving Costumes into the Storytelling Fabric of New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on March 2nd, 2012 by Shawn Slater, Communications Manager, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Creative Entertainment

Some of the first areas of our New Fantasyland expansion at Magic Kingdom Park will be opening by late March, featuring a re-imagined version of The Barnstormer and a relocated Dumbo the Flying Elephant attraction. When they debut, cast members working in these areas will be wearing new costumes inspired by the “Big Top” setting of Storybook Circus.

The Creative Entertainment Costuming team worked with Walt Disney Imagineering to develop these designs to bring the environment of Storybook Circus to life. The bold colors evoke the spirit of the ringmaster or sideshow barker, while the tails and detailing provide a period look of the 1930s.

In this video, you’ll see how the partnership between Walt Disney Imagineering and Creative Entertainment has produced an entire collection of unique costumes to be worn by cast members in each area of New Fantasyland, creating a rich sense of place and community.

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Behind the Scenes, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

14 Comments 1 Reply

Andrea from AL on March 2nd, 2012 at 11:07 am

These are awesome! I hope they look as good in real life as they do in the concept art! I’m pretty jealous of the Storybook Circus lady costume.

Christopher on March 2nd, 2012 at 11:45 am

In 2003 I was an CP Cast Member in Fantasyland. I worked the snack stands… I would have killed to wear these cool costumes. These are amazing costumes. Way to go disney Costume Dept. Very Disney Fairytale Worthy.

Rei on March 2nd, 2012 at 11:47 am

Wow, these look fantastic! I saw the construction here when I was at the Princess Half-marathon–the new scenery reminds me so much of my adventures in Europe. I’m really excited to see this art up close.

Looks like I’ll have to come back for another run so that I can see the new work! :)

Samantha on March 2nd, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I love this post and video! It gets me so excited and makes me feel so creative! Thank to everyone who took the time to make the outfits so perfect!

Julieanne on March 2nd, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I’m currently a CP, and I know a lot of girls who are uncomfortable wearing dresses but have to for their roles. Its great to see that these new costumes offer pants rather than the customary Fantasyland dresses. I wish some of these were my costume!

Otto on March 2nd, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Your attention to detail is just amazing.
The costumes look wonderfull!
I also like to hear a bit more about the sounds and music in the new expension.

Colleen from TX on March 2nd, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Can’t wait to visit the new fantasyland. It will be so exciting. Thanks for all the sneak peeks.

John on March 2nd, 2012 at 1:30 pm

So I’m a former CP who was lucky enough to get an AWESOME costume during my program, but these are beautiful!! I want to own the Gaston’s Tavern Costume, and like wear it every day of my life.

Eric on March 2nd, 2012 at 1:56 pm

As a CM costume-spotter, I like all the Belle’s Village costumes…
But what about Snow White, Little Mermaid and the Princess building?–Will they just get versions of their Disneyland equivalents?

Shawn Slater on March 2nd, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Eric, the beautiful costume designs we previewed today will be seen throughout the New Fantasyland area, including locations like Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

Cindy on March 4th, 2012 at 4:25 pm

As a former cast member of Fantasy Land I look forward to seeing the innovative costumes that will add to the Magic the New Fantasy Land it will be a wonderful addition of Magic Kingdom.

In the meantime stop by some of the shops at main street east and enjoy the ambiance of small town America.

regina on March 4th, 2012 at 6:17 pm

My daughter has been working on the new part of Fantasy Land. She tried on a couple of the costumes for us last night. The are really cute. I love the circus one so much.

Jennie from CA on March 4th, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I’m so excited for the new expansion to be finished. These costumes look fantastic. Well,done as always Disney.

Robin on March 4th, 2012 at 7:19 pm

These costumes are really fantastic. I know they will really enhance the experience for us guests. Can’t wait for the new Fantasyland expansion to open!

sam on March 11th, 2012 at 12:35 pm

One of the things I always look forward to when a new ride or attraction opens up is seeing the new costumes. A big high five to the designers for what they created. The “look” of the Cast Members throughout the parks adds to the magic.