Spaceship Earth at Epcot

Citrus Swirl is Back at Walt Disney World Resort!

posted on April 17th, 2012 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

With this week’s happy announcement of the return of the Orange Bird to the Sunshine Tree Terrace in Magic Kingdom Park, the original Citrus Swirl makes its official comeback too. Gone for more than a quarter of a century, it’s nice to have them back where they belong for the 40th anniversary celebration of Walt Disney World Resort.

“Citrus

Who remembers that icy swirl of frozen orange and soft-serve vanilla ice cream, a duo of delish in the heat of summertime? There was a knock-off for a while at Aloha Isle, but this swirl is the original recipe, a sweet-tart tower in a cone or cup ($3.19 and on the Disney Dining Plan).

“New

And check out the adorable orange bird sipper cup – for kids of all ages. Oh, Orange Bird and Citrus Swirl, welcome home!

See the posts below for more news about dining at Walt Disney World Resort:

Filed: Disney Dining, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

ryan from FL on April 17th, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Citrus Swirl? Is it that good?
Never had it, since I’m sorta a new Disney Parks fan.
Didn’t even really know much about Orange bird, but now that I’m old enough to go to WDW as much as I want, I want to know more! ^^

Jodi from WI on April 17th, 2012 at 1:31 pm

First time I went to WDW in 1978 there was a stand right outside the Tiki Room that sold OJ in little oranges like this (but without the bird face). I think I drank a hundred of them that trip. Boy, this brings back such great memories!!!!!!

Kyle on April 17th, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I will have to try this on my next trip. Looks like a yummy way to cool off on a hot day.

Kyle

Countdown To D23

Brian on April 17th, 2012 at 2:23 pm

So glad you are bringing back the swirl. Now I can have a dole swirl and a citrus swirl.

Rachel on April 17th, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I am so glad they brought it back!! Every time my boyfriend and I go to the Magic Kingdom, he always wants one because they bring back memories from his childhood. The Dole Whips are good but just don’t campare to the Florida Ctirus Swirl.

jimmy on April 17th, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Walt Disney World, Orange Bird, and the Citrus Swirl are a natural fit. Hooray!

Kevin on April 17th, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I was wondering is the frozen lemonade drink available at the theme parks and also is there possibility for a lemon swirl desert to be created for the magic kingdom :D.

I would want a lemon swirl but this has to do for now ;)

MICHAEL on April 17th, 2012 at 7:52 pm

It’s great to see that the Citrus Swirl is back! Is there any chance that Aunt Polly’s will reopen on Tom Sawyer Island? :)

Allie on April 17th, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I always get Dole Whips when I go to the Magic Kingdom, but now I’ll have to try a Citrus Swirl, too! :)

Cynthia on April 17th, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Going in June. Can not wait to have a Citrus Swirl!

Laura on April 17th, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Citrus swirl looks great!
Is there anywhere online where we can see the new menu?

I hope they didn’t take away the orange and raspberry lemonade slushes again!!!

Cheryl on April 18th, 2012 at 11:27 am

Thank GOD! I was so upset when the citrus swirl went away…pineapple is not the same! And this is Florida – home of the orange :)
I am so glad you brought them back Disney. I can’t wait to go get one!

Keith from FL on April 18th, 2012 at 11:56 am

My favorite. It should have never gone away in the first place.

Peggy from OH on April 18th, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Kudos to WDW for bringing back the ORIGINAL Citrus Swirl. There is nothing else like it in the World! The knock-off with the orange sherbet just didn’t cut it! I am so looking forward to one on my next trip! :)

Emily on April 18th, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Yum! I can’t wait to try this!

Melissa from IL on April 18th, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Best news of the day!!!! My family has missed the original citris swirl…we check every trip to see if they have brought it back.

Dan on April 19th, 2012 at 8:13 am

Best news ever! One of my fondest childhood memories from WDW. I remember a few years ago, I ordered what I thought was a Citrus Swirl. The cast member handed me a pale orange and ivory mixture of two soft-serve products. I said, “What is this?” She looked at me with a blank stare, already taking the next order. I tasted one spoonful and promptly threw it in the nearest trash can. Awful! Thank you thank you thank you for bring back the original! (And it beats the pants of the Dole Whip – we need our own t-shirt!)

Kyra on April 19th, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Yum. Yum. Yum.

Michele on April 30th, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I can’t begin to tell you how excited I was when I spotted the Orange Bird on the Sunshine Tree Terrace sign when I visited the Magic Kingdom last week!!! I did a little happy dance when I saw that they had the little orange bird sippy cup and the orange swirl on the menu. I was completely deflated when I was told by the server that the orange swirl machine had JUST BROKEN!!!! I had to console myself with the sippy cup, a Dole Whip, and the hope that the machine will be repaired for my trip next fall.

Christine on May 2nd, 2012 at 7:44 am

My family loved the so called “knockoff” at aloha, it was our favorite snack!! We hope it is still there in Sept!