Japan Pavilion at Epcot

Time-Lapse Video: New Fantasyland Springs To Life at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on April 11th, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Who’s up for a fun look at the New Fantasyland expansion?

Walt Disney Imagineering just shared an updated time-lapse video with us that offers a bird’s-eye view of how this area is shaping up. See for yourself!

For reference, the area on the left will be Enchanted Tales With Belle, Beast Castle (which will contain the Be Our Guest Restaurant), and Gaston’s Tavern. The buildings and rockwork on the right side will house the Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid attraction.

To learn more about any of these attractions, check out the following posts:

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Jacki on April 11th, 2012 at 10:29 am

We will be at WDW Feb. 6th to 13th 2013 will either of these attractions be open by then?

Abby on April 11th, 2012 at 10:32 am

I love this! I was trying to guess what “season” it was based on the weather and the crowds congregating around Dumbo.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on April 11th, 2012 at 10:39 am

Jacki- We should know some opening dates soon. Keep checking back to the blog. (In case you missed it, 1/2 of the new Dumbo and the new Barnstormer have already opened).

Mark on April 11th, 2012 at 10:52 am

So stoked at this expansion! I think people who haven’t been keeping up with this are going to be shocked at what an undertaking this is! Now to wrap it up perfectly MK needs to say a fond farewell to the Tomorrowland Speedway and create a Cars based attraction like in Cali.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on April 11th, 2012 at 11:03 am

I agree, Mark. People who haven’t been here in 2 years or so will have a whole new area to explore! They won’t know where they are at first. :)

Jessica on April 11th, 2012 at 10:57 am

I’m excited for this section to be complete! I’m bringing my 3 year old daughter in December. I hope the Beauty and Beast section will be open by then. That’s her FAVORITE movie!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on April 11th, 2012 at 11:03 am

We’ll see!

Joan from PR on April 11th, 2012 at 11:01 am

I hope some of the new attractions have open when we go on June, besides Dumbo and Barnstormer

Meredith from VA on April 11th, 2012 at 12:03 pm

So wild watching them dismantle Dumbo! It’s been hard to imagine what how new Fantasyland will flow from old Fantasyland but this helps. Gosh I hope some of this is soft-opened by Thanksgiving when we are there! Can a girl dream of getting a reservation at Be Our Guest for the last week of November? Guess I’ll have to find a star to wish on…

Jess on April 11th, 2012 at 12:31 pm

That was amazing…I remeber taking my friend for her first trip in 2010 and when i made her ride dumbo I spent the ride peaking over the wall. going back Dec. 2013 I’m prepared to be blown away!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on April 11th, 2012 at 4:46 pm

It’s going to be amazing, Jess. :)

Brian on April 11th, 2012 at 12:36 pm

We go a lot to Magic Kingdom and wish they would put windows in the big green wall that hides the construction so we could see the progress. That would be fun.

Jessica on April 11th, 2012 at 2:11 pm

What can we expect to see in October?

Onna on April 11th, 2012 at 2:43 pm

This is awesome! I can’t wait to visit when it’s all done. It will be fun to explore someplace new and discover all the little Disney details!

Michelle on April 11th, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I’m so excited!! All the changes will be such a great addition to an already magical place!! Can’t wait for my family’s trip in December!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on April 11th, 2012 at 4:46 pm

That’s the spirit, Michelle!

Shelby on April 11th, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I just wish August could be considered a part of Fall. Haha. :-D I’ve got a honeymoon then, and would LOVE to be able to dine at Be Our Guest with my hubby! …Maybe you’ll surprise us all and open more of the new Fantasyland early??? Now that would be a dream come true! :-D

Misty on April 11th, 2012 at 5:10 pm

We will be at WDW April 26-30 (in just a couple weeks). What WILL be open in Fantasyland? Will the old rides/attractions still be there and will they be open? My daughter is really looking forward to many of the Fantasyland attractions…

Jack on April 11th, 2012 at 5:41 pm

What are the plans for the old sky ride area next to It’s a Small World? I see activity there for the first time in a long time.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on April 12th, 2012 at 9:39 am

Let me look into it.

Tonya on April 11th, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Our family reunion will take place here in August, is there any chance that BE OUR GUEST will be open by then? We are hoping that Disney can work their magic and have this open! Is there any kind of date that you could give us?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on April 12th, 2012 at 9:34 am

Keep watching the blog – we should have opening dates to announce soon!

Laura on April 11th, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Misty – The rides that are there now will be open when you get there. Dumbo is open, but it is moved over by the Barnstormer.

Deidra from OH on April 12th, 2012 at 12:06 am

I’m going with friends in October and then again in December. I’m excited for Be Our Guest and hope it will be open soon.

Mark on April 12th, 2012 at 6:04 am

Jack, The old Sky Way will be new Bathrooms and the old bathrooms by Peter Pan will be used to extend the Que

Tracy on April 12th, 2012 at 9:24 am

This was so cool to watch on the local news last night.
Of course they didnt show the whole thing which is why it is great to see it on this blog!!!

The use of moving trees to provide blocking or noise reduction, the moving of Dumbo, even the way the buildings went up was just so fun to watch!

Missy on April 12th, 2012 at 9:38 am

We are headed down Sept 9-16th and are hoping to eat in the Beauty and The Beast Restaurant. I have all my reservations set already, but would change them in a heartbeat to eat there. I hope I see the announcement so I can make my reservation. I’d hate to hear about it late and it be all booked. I’m sure it’ll be just about impossible to get reservations there for a few years. My kids, son and daughter both, LOVE that movie!

Ken from England on April 12th, 2012 at 12:12 pm

We will be visiting again in October 2012, which of the new attractions will be open?

Miranda on April 12th, 2012 at 2:25 pm

What will be open in October 2012?

James on April 12th, 2012 at 7:31 pm

It’s nice that they are FINALLY adding on, but it’s a shame that Disney has to take out a popular atraction, Snow White’s Scary Adventure to make room for a princess meet and greet.

Allie on April 13th, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I can’t wait for the New Fantasyland area to open! :) It looks amazing!

We’ll be going to WDW in October 2012, too. I’m hoping that more of it will be open by then! Can you give us a hint about the opening dates, or at least about the announcement of the opening dates?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on April 17th, 2012 at 3:17 pm

More should be announced soon, Allie.

Allie on April 13th, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I forgot to say this in my last post:

The video is so cool! My family goes to WDW a couple of times a year, and I’ve been enjoying peeking over the wall from the top of Dumbo and from higher vantage points in Fantasyland. I can’t wait until it’s complete!

Emily on April 13th, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Thank you for this great video! It is really neat to see the progress from Cinderella’s Castle. I can’t wait to see the finished Beauty and the Beast area and Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid later this year!

Susan on April 15th, 2012 at 8:12 am

We will be in WDW in Aug 11-18…Will anything else be open in the new Fantasyland…..

Charles from NY on April 15th, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Any guess as to what will be open the week of September 16th, 2012?

JAMES on April 16th, 2012 at 8:40 am

my wife and i will be celebrating our five year wedding anniversary, and have booked a trip to disney in october of 2012. we are really looking forward to the new fantasyland. my wife has promised to ride dumbo with me. i hope it will be a magical vacation for us both. any ideas on when be our guest restaurant will be open, and will it be on the dining plan? what other rides will be open in the new fantasyland area?

Michelle from PA on April 16th, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Please please, can you give me an idea of when the “Be our Guest” is going to open for reservations? We are coming in November and to miss this attraction would be horrible!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on April 17th, 2012 at 3:17 pm

We have no opening date info yet…keep checking back!

melissa on April 17th, 2012 at 10:41 am

i was there in Dec 2011 and was excited to see how far they had come since first breaking ground and now the updated video shows even more completion – SO EXCITED!!! i am hoping to be back in Jan 2013 for the Half Marathon weekend and to visit the park to see what a difference these new improvements have made to the park.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on April 17th, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Sounds like an excellent plan, Melissa!

TJ from PA on April 22nd, 2012 at 11:48 am

This is amazing. I’m visiting in October and I’m hoping the expansion will be open when we arrive! It’s great to see how Fantasyland has changed over the past few months. It looks like great progress. One more way Disney is offering a one of a kind experience for families! Also, I really like that this video gives visitors a chance to look as to how things have changed.

Amber on April 22nd, 2012 at 3:16 pm

We are coming to disney world in May 2012. I really wished they would have the new castles done by then. I am a big Mermaid and Beauty & the Beast fan.

adina on April 24th, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Anybody know how soon can we expect reservations for the restaurant to open before the actual opening of the restaurant?

Ed on April 25th, 2012 at 1:49 am

Jennifer, will New Fantasyland (or anywhere else in WDW) be featuring the new Pixar “Brave” film?