Fireworks at Disneyland Park

A Colorful Debut for Disney’s Art of Animation Resort

posted on May 31st, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Disney’s Art of Animation Resort is open for business!

Earlier this morning, Meg Crofton, president of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Operations, U.S. & France, officially dedicated this new resort while surrounded by a cast of colorful characters from the films that inspired the resort’s animation theme.

For anyone who ever dreamed of being a Disney animator – myself included – this place is a dream come true. Let’s take a tour:
“Animation

Starting at Animation Hall, the resort’s lobby boasts decor that reflects animation in various stages, from pencil sketch to final product.
“The

To the left are the Ink & Paint Shop and Landscape of Flavors food court. Check out this fun light fixture, which includes pencil sketches of “The Little Mermaid,” “The Lion King,” and more. If you visit, be sure to search for the John Lasseter signature on one of the “Cars” sketches.

“The

Just through the doors, guests are swept into the story of “Finding Nemo,” and are reduced to the size of a fish at The Big Blue Pool. Here, they can splash alongside Nemo, Crush, the jellyfish, and other ocean friends. Walt Disney Imagineering really thought of everything in planning this under-the-sea adventure – they even have audio from the film piped into the pool that guests can hear when they’re under the water.

Here are some additional sights you can see around this Big Blue World:

Disney's Art of Animation Resort Opens Today Disney's Art of Animation Resort Opens Today Disney's Art of Animation Resort Opens Today Disney's Art of Animation Resort Opens Today

Read more about Disney’s Art of Animation Resort in the posts below:

Tagged:

Filed: Hotels & Resorts, Walt Disney World Resort

Katlyn on May 31st, 2012 at 11:51 am

I’m so excited for the opening! My family is going to be at WDW next week. Are we able to visit and walk around the newly opened grounds?

Brook from IL on May 31st, 2012 at 12:13 pm

We are so excited!!! We are going to be there September 21st and stay in the Little Mermaid rooms, I am hoping to catch some of the grand openings of those rooms when we get there!!!! We love checking out all the updates on the resort! I have to say this has been one of the most exciting parts of out trip, staying at the NEWEST RESORT!!!

Lisa on May 31st, 2012 at 12:21 pm

This resort looks so wonderfully immersive into the Disney Experience! I CANNOT WAIT to stay in the Little Mermaid room in November when my parents and I will be making the trip! I think we’re going to have to take a Full day to just walk around the resort and marvel at the detail!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 31st, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Have a blast, Lisa. I can’t wait to stay there, myself.

Rachel from PA on May 31st, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I’m so excited already and I won’t even be there until September! Can’t wait…getting married at Walt Disney World and staying at the new resort! Maybe I’ll even get a sneak peek at New Fantasyland!

Rebecca on May 31st, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Thanks so much for this fantastic post! I’m not sure when we’ll get back, so I love that I can still experience Disney magic from home through these pictures. I can appreciate extra details in the pics that I miss when I’m there in person. I love all of your posts and your zest for Disney, thank you for your enthusiasm! It’s contagious!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 31st, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Thank you so much, Rebecca. I’ve loved Disney for years. :)

Dina from AB on May 31st, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Thank you for sharing!!!! I am beyond excited – we are travelling with another family next spring for a WDW/DCL vacation…and this is the resort we are staying in! Soo sooooooooo excited!!! ;)

Nicholle on May 31st, 2012 at 2:10 pm

We will be there in 7 days…staying in a Finding Nemo suite! I CANNOT WAIT!!!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 31st, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Congrats – have a blast, Nicholle. The guests I saw today were running back and forth exploring. They were all so excited!

Eric on May 31st, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I’d always thought this was “the other half of Pop Century”, but looking at the big vista photo, I’d noticed something I hadn’t up till now:
No “outside” door balconies on the big Nemo-mural walls like Pop and All-Star buildings, just windows…Do the buildings have “inside” doors now from an interior hallway, or just open-air corridors like the Moderates? Or are the Suite buildings going to be different from the Singles?

(Silly point, but I’m still hoping to make it my next stay, and see how new and different it is from the other Values.)

Thomas on May 31st, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Once again, Disney has created a wonderful venue for children of all ages. We hope to visit again this year and will be sure to wander through this new place. Congratulations.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 31st, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Thank you, Thomas. Hope you can make it.

Suzanne on May 31st, 2012 at 4:38 pm

The resort is awesome, cannot wait to see it in person with all my family especially my grandchildren. We are scheduled to arrive in November and staying in the Little Mermaid. Counting the days 164 to go.

clyde from OH on May 31st, 2012 at 4:49 pm

We usually stay at the All Star Music Resort but this looks like such a fun resort can’t wait to stay there the week of the 9th of December not mention being out of the Ohio winter for a week!

Alicia on May 31st, 2012 at 5:49 pm

107 days until we are there in a Nemo Suite! Can’t wait!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 1st, 2012 at 7:43 am

I hope you have a great time.

BRIAN on May 31st, 2012 at 10:00 pm

WAY TO GO Imagineers!!! ANOTHER fabulous addition to WDW! I am constantly amazed at the creativity and ability of Disney! :o ) Can’t wait to come for another visit…perhaps next Sept!

Samantha on May 31st, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I’ll be there in 12 hours!!!! Yippee!

Drago on May 31st, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I think this hotel is the most beautiful one I’ve ever seen. I really am thinking about staying here on my next WDW trip.

Jennifer — do you have any info about the Haunted Mansion themed rooms that were talked about once upon a time. Haven’t heard anything about them in a while; these were rooms Disney was thinking about back when it was also testing the Princess themed rooms that went into Port Royal French Quarter.

Are the Haunted Mansion rooms still on the drawing board?

I’d love to stay in a Haunted Mansion room.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 6th, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Hmm, I don’t recall ever hearing anything about this…but that doesn’t mean it’s not true. I can look into it.

Beverly on June 1st, 2012 at 10:12 am

We have been following the plans for this resort since last year. We made our reservations in February for vacation on 8/19-29 in the Nemo Suite. My 4 yr. old twin girls can’t wait, will be their first time at Disney. Beautiful resort!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 6th, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I hope you have fun with your little princesses!

Tracy on June 1st, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Looks amazing! I don’t know if I can be enticed away from my beloved Poly, but I have a 4 year old who would think a Cars themed hotel room (just like his own bedroom) was paradise! Great job, as usual, Disney!

Kristen from PA on June 1st, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I had our reservations for December booked back in February for Port Orleans French Quarter, when I saw they were opening up the Little Mermaid rooms earlier than expected I was on the phone that night to change my resort. After seeing this video and pictures, I can NOT wait to stay here, especially with my two year old. He’s going to absolutely love it. Just wish they had standard rooms other than just the Little Mermaid for families that have boys.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 6th, 2012 at 9:33 pm

After attending the opening, I totally caved and booked a room for one night this summer! My son will love it.

mark on June 2nd, 2012 at 10:41 am

thanks for lots of pictures!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 6th, 2012 at 9:33 pm

You’re welcome, Mark.

Julie on June 3rd, 2012 at 10:41 am

We will be there October 22nd, and my 4 year old red-headed daughter can’t wait to see her special Ariel hotel room!! She is obsessed with Ariel, so I can’t wait to see the look on her face when we get there. Only four more months!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 6th, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Fun!

Tonya from TN on June 3rd, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Disney World is our family vacation every year and this year we are even more excited to be staying at Art of Animation Nemo Suites in July!!! We can’t wait to see the rest of the resort!!!!

Kathryn from CT on June 4th, 2012 at 9:53 am

This resort may be the one to release my husband from his “deluxe-only” vow! It looks fantastic, and I love that there are interior corridors. It really gives it more of a deluxe feel at a value price. Keep those pictures coming! It’ll help plan our next trip. ;-)

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 6th, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Thank you! Be sure to check back on June 18…we’re planning our coverage of the Cars wing opening! I hope to have lots of photos of that.

KYLE on June 7th, 2012 at 9:04 am

Wow these pictures and video is amazing!!! It’s so nice having cheaper suites for the bigger families so they can afford one room instead of needing two!!! We’re coming down in Dec with my 1.5 y/o little girl, but we’re staying at AKL. But it’s a safe bet we’ll be spending at least one day here exploring. It looks so cool for and I bet she’ll love it. And I bet the big kid in me will also. Great post and thank you for all the great info, as always!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 7th, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Thank you! I think I’m torn now between DAK Lodge and Art of Animation as my favorites – and I haven’t even stayed at Animation yet! They’re both so dynamic and amazing in completely different ways.

KYLE on June 7th, 2012 at 9:06 am

Oops, meant to say Oct. See that Disney Christmas has me thinking Dec! LOL. It’ll be all of our first time for Disney Halloween. Can’t wait to see that!

Nicholas on June 10th, 2012 at 7:42 am

can’t wait to take my own little princess to stay in this resort later this summer!