New York World's Fair 50th Anniversary

All in the Details: Introducing Prince Eric’s Castle at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on May 29th, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

We’re back this week with a few photos of another attraction that’s coming later this year to New Fantasyland. Last week, many of you asked for a glimpse into Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid, so here’s a sneak peek at the building that will house the attraction – Prince Eric’s castle!
“Prince

Starting at the top, this Mediterranean-style castle features a Spanish-tile roof and a regal “E” monogram – a nod to the castle’s royal resident.
“Prince

This castle’s towering balconies reflect a maritime touch with seaweed-themed support beams.
“Prince

And this photo is my favorite of the three. This is a shot of the ground level. The walls here feature hand-painted artwork that depicts the history of man’s perilous journey on the sea.

So, which royal residence are you more excited to see for yourself when New Fantasyland opens – Beast’s castle or Prince Eric’s?

Thanks again to Walt Disney Imagineering for supplying these great photos!

For more New Fantasyland updates, see the posts below:

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Carrie on May 29th, 2012 at 10:26 am

Eric’s castle looks amazing – I love the hand-painted artwork! I’m excited to see this castle, but most excited to see Beast’s castle!

Martine from VA on May 29th, 2012 at 10:28 am

We were just there last week and had hoped to see it more up close, but could not. Thanks for the photos-any new info on opening date predictions?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 29th, 2012 at 10:35 am

None yet. I’ll be sure to share the dates as soon as I get them.

LisaMarie on May 29th, 2012 at 10:32 am

This Just Made Me SOOO EXCITED! Ariel is my favorite! Thank you for sharing these photos! I plan to visit early October for my Birthday and I hope Ariel’s section will be opened! :)

Michelle from IL on May 29th, 2012 at 10:41 am

Would that be a hidden mickey in the clouds!?!?

Jean from VA on May 29th, 2012 at 10:50 am

I’m more interested in Beast’s castle, though I can’t wait to take my little Prince Erik to Prince Eric’s castle. Seeing as we’re in SoCal now, we’ve seen The Voyage of the Little Mermaid here. It’s a great ride and will be a great addition to the new Fantasyland. I’m so sad none of it was open when we were there in March. :(

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 29th, 2012 at 4:01 pm

That will be exciting. I’m sure my son would LOVE if there was a castle with a prince that had his name (or one similar!).

Linda from LA on May 29th, 2012 at 11:33 am

I can’t wait to see Beast’s castle, since that was my favorite movie, but I have to take my two boys, Sebastian and Aric, to see Prince Eric’s castle!

Kalya on May 29th, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Much more excited for Prince Eric’s castle than the Beast’s, but super excited for Gaston’s Tavern :)

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 29th, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Yes, I can’t wait to find out what kind of food/drinks they’ll serve at Gaston’s AND Be Our Guest!

Drago on May 29th, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Jennifer -

Can you give us any scoop on what’s going in at the old Skyway Station?

Rumor has it that Rapunzel’s tower will be over there, built with the restrooms and such.

I know you can’t spill all the beans, but can you give some hints as to what’s being built over there near Haunted Mansion? The construction site is much too big for it to just be new restrooms, but not big enough for a ride…so a royal meet and greet seems appropriate.

Any scoop on this?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 29th, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Not yet. Let me see what I can find out…stay tuned!

Lauren on May 29th, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Definiteyly more excited for Prince Eric’s castle!!!!!!!! I am a HUGE Little Mermaid fan and have been waiting for a ride from the movie in Walt Disney World for 23 years since the movie first came out. I have been taking photos of the construction of Prince Eric’s castle from over the walls since construction first began, but it’s really nice to see these amazingly detailed close-up photos. Keep the photos and info about into Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid coming!!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 29th, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Thanks, Lauren. I love the details in these photos.

Jeffrey on May 29th, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Both, but I think Eric’s as you have more artistic license given your not trying to recreate a specific room from the movie.

Otto on May 29th, 2012 at 1:24 pm

This doesn´t look like it was just build but just excavated. It looks magical, can´t wait to go under the sea.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 29th, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I’m sure the Imagineers would love to heart that!

Natalie on May 29th, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Cant wait for this!!!! It looks amazing!!! Is the castle just going to be a show building for the queue? Or will there be a meet and greet for Ariel and Eric near by too???

marnie from MI on May 29th, 2012 at 2:07 pm

More , more please! Love the sneak peaks but it left me wanting to see more! PLEASE!
Thankyou!

Jessica on May 29th, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Oh my! Now I’m excited for both castles! Thank you for another fantastic blog, Jennifer!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 29th, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Thanks, Jessica!

Lois on May 29th, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Definitely more excited for Prince Eric’s castle. I am very interested in seeing more and hearing more information about the hand painted artwork that features “the history of man’s perilous journey on the sea” and what the Imagineers’ thinking was behind these paintings. It just seems to me that the idea behind these paintings is less connected to The Little Mermaid and more tied to the location of this ride’s previous resident, 20,000 Leagues. Is there any way you could find out some more info on this for us? Thanks.

Nancy on May 29th, 2012 at 2:37 pm

They are both great and I cant wait to see it all. We will be there December 1st through the 8th….Do you think either one will be open…I truly hope so.. Thanks so much for the pictures

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 29th, 2012 at 7:58 pm

All we’ve heard is “holidays 2012″ for a lot of New Fantasyland, so visiting in December would give you a good shot.

Alecia on May 29th, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I am definatly more excited for Eric’s castle. I have loved the Little Mermaid since I was 2 years old and can’t wait to see this hopefully in October!!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 29th, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Not sure which is my fav. I loved Mermaid…until B&B was released!!

Anonymous on May 29th, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Although I’m very eager to experience all of New Fantasyland and the castles, I am much more excited for Prince Eric’s than Beast’s. I work in Antarctica most of the year and am planning on landing a seasonal job at WDW this holiday season so that I can experience it all and take it in slowly :) Thanks for the pics and info! They’re wonderful ways to brighten my world until the sun rises again in August!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 29th, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Wow, that’s an amazing plan! What an interesting life you must have – time split between Antarctica & Disney?! Cool (no pun intended).

Jill from NY on May 29th, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I am very excited about the new additions to the park, but I am curious…

What are the height requirements for the new rides in Fantasyland?

My daughter is going to cry when she realizes that Snow White is gone, I can’t imagine the drama if she can’t go on the other rides either…

I’m a nervous Mommy. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 29th, 2012 at 7:57 pm

No word on height requirements yet. I’m sure she’ll be closer by the time the attraction opens in 2013. Don’t forget, we’ll still have character meet and greets with Snow White!

Aaron on May 29th, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Walt Disney World will never be finished. This expansion and work is a testimony to Walt’s vision, passion and desire to build the best and most happiest place on earth. Thank you for continuing his vision!

David on May 29th, 2012 at 9:59 pm

As I mentioned in another post, It definately has to be Beast’s Castle as My Wife is a big Fan.

Allie on May 30th, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I have to pick Beast’s Castle, just because Belle is my favorite princess. But I’m SO excited for both of them!

These pictures are awesome. When I was in WDW in January, the Beast’s castle looked pretty complete, but I couldn’t really tell what Eric’s castle would look like yet. This makes me even more excited!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 30th, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Me, too!

Allie on May 30th, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I REALLY hope that Drago is right! A Tangled tower would be AMAZING!!!!! That’s one of my favorite movies. Rapunzel is one of my favorite princesses, and Flynn Rider is definitely one of my 2 favorite princes (Naveen is up there too…). When I went to Disneyland, they had an awesome Rapunzel tower meet-and-greet. Disney World should get one too, especially now that Merida has taken over her old spot!

Skip from FL on May 31st, 2012 at 7:49 pm

#18 – Anonymous

Wow! Antarctica!! Maybe we could swap jobs for a couple of weeks,…….
……. now if I just had a Disney job with which to swap with!

Brook from IL on June 1st, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I was hoping that this section will be open late in September when we come, Beauty and the Beast is one of my all time classic movies!!! Any ideas when this will open and if we will be able to eat at Be our Guest??

THERESA on June 1st, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Hello Jennifer,

New Fantasyland is going to look truly amazing once complete! Do you know if the new Fantasyland will be all complete by the end of 2012? My family is planning to go in early 2013.
Thanks! Theresa

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 6th, 2012 at 9:29 pm

No – a very large portion of it will be open. Princess Fairytale Hall opens in 2013, and the Mine Train will open in 2014.

Jennie from CA on June 2nd, 2012 at 2:58 am

So excited for TWO new castles. I’m super excited to see both of them. Here’s hoping the Princess Half Marathon will go by both so I can get a photo by Eric’s in my Ariel costume complete with 3 foot tail and my BFF can get one by Beast’s in her Belle running gown complete with full length gloves. Lol Disney does a never ending job of bringing the kid out in all of us.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 6th, 2012 at 8:58 am

Those would be cute photos!

Kyra on June 2nd, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I literally cried when I saw the pictures. To see something from my favorite movie come to life like that is incredible! I’ve been watching this movie religiously ever since I can remember. If you play the movie, I will say all the dialogue and sing all the songs along with it- word for word. I cannot wait until I can go and be immersed into my favorite story.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 6th, 2012 at 8:57 am

Wow, sounds like you’re a huge Mermaid fan! I hope you love the area when it opens. It looks amazing and we’ve only seen a tiny bit.

SORAYA on June 3rd, 2012 at 11:51 am

Hi! I’m travelling to Disney in september. Will be open one of castles on that date? Thanks!

Melissa on June 5th, 2012 at 9:15 am

Prince Eric’s castle looks amazing but I cannot wait for the Beasts to emerge…my daughter is a huge Beauty & The Beast fan and I cannot wait for her to see it all!!! Hopefully it will be well on it’s way in December when we head down. Thanks for sharing!!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 7th, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Don’t forget her princess dress! You’ll want some pics of her in this new area!!

Deborah on June 5th, 2012 at 10:22 am

Wow! I can’t wait to get a sneak peek when we are there this summer! Do you think we will get a good look?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 6th, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Yes. The area that’s being constructed is so large that it’s difficult to miss it.

THERESA on June 6th, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Hello Jennifer-

Thanks

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 7th, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Here’s the most updated info we have at this time:
-Holidays 2012: Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid, Enchanted Tales with Belle, Be Our Guest Restaurant, Gaston’s Tavern, and Ariel’s Grotto.
-2013: Princess Fairytale Hall (meet-and-greet area)
-2014: Seven Dwarfs Mine Train attraction

Skip from FL on June 6th, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Jennifer Fickley-Baker

Thank you for re-visiting your blog entry beyond the day it was posted.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 7th, 2012 at 9:13 pm

No problem! :)

Margot on June 27th, 2012 at 4:06 am

They should have a Cinderella area too! Looks cool though!