Halloween at Walt Disney World Resort

Behind the Scenes: A Fresh Snowfall for the Matterhorn at Disneyland Park

posted on May 7th, 2012 by Erin Glover, Social Media Director, Disneyland Resort

Since the beginning of this year, the Matterhorn Bobsleds at Disneyland park have been closed due to an extensive refurbishment – not only of the attraction, but of the entire mountain itself. In this video, go behind the scenes with Walt Disney Imagineering to learn how they created the new “snowfall” that will cover the mountain when it reopens in June.

For more news about Disneyland park, check out these posts:

Tagged: , , , ,

Filed: Behind the Scenes, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

William on May 7th, 2012 at 1:14 pm

WDI is amazing! Can’t wait until our DL trip this fall to once again ride one of the original and best “E” ticket attractions!

Fred from CA on May 7th, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Awesome. I’m so glad that the Matterhorn got a full re-paint.

I’ve seen it at the park recently, and the mountain looks fantastic!

Rochelle on May 7th, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Is the Matterhorn going to reopen the same time as California Adventures’ expansion? I remember when it was an open roller coaster inside so you could see the sky buckets (did I just age myself).

Jason on May 7th, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Yes it opens June 15th, same day as Carsland (and hopefully Buena Vista St).

Matterhorn is my favorite of the ‘big kid’ rides, I’m so excited for it to reopen!

Brian on May 7th, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Can’t wait to ride the new bobsleds! Love the update on the snow…Walt would be proud. Hopefully Matterhorn Yodelers will still be playing in the queue!

David on May 7th, 2012 at 2:33 pm

The Matterhorn looks incredible. Any word on whether the climbers will return or is there a concern they could damage the beads?

scott on May 7th, 2012 at 4:43 pm

We’re heading back to DL for the second time (from Australia) in September this year. So much has been added and improved since only a couple of years ago when we last visited. I can’t wait!

Emily on May 7th, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Can’t wait!!! My favorite ride of them all since I was a little girl! Love the glass bead effect, really is more realistic!

brett from CA on May 7th, 2012 at 8:51 pm

OMG i cant wait for this ride to open is it new tracks too ? i just love this ride

Cory from AB on May 8th, 2012 at 12:49 am

I’m sad I’m going to miss riding it on my trip coming up here in one week (we leave Friday!), since the Matterhorn Bobsleds is one of my favourite rides, but it’s great to see the new paint job. Looks sharp!

Colleen from TX on May 8th, 2012 at 8:45 am

Yay! My matterhorn is coming back. Can’t wait to jump on board. It is amazing the detail just to the SNOW!!! Thanks for the all the incredible renovations. My dad will be SO excited about the seat changes.

Casey on May 8th, 2012 at 9:37 am

I’m so glad that my mountain has gotten the love it deserves! The pics look great and so bobsleds look amazing! I’m sad that the height requirement was raised 7 inches, but, you’ve gotta be safe.

Samantha on May 8th, 2012 at 10:46 am

It looks great! I can’t wait until I’m out there next time (first time for my husband) so we can ride it together. :D Keep up the good work!

Thea from CA on May 8th, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Once again the Disney magic is shining through!!! Can’t wait to for it to open in June!!

DIANA from CA on May 8th, 2012 at 3:43 pm

does anyone know if the height requirement will go up?

Eric from MI on May 8th, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Diana, I read elsewhere that the requirement will increase to 42 inches.

Christine on May 10th, 2012 at 1:11 pm

David, To answer your question, Yes, the climbers will be coming back to the mountain this summer. Enjoy!!