The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at Disney California Adventure Park

Disney Cruise Line Announces Pixar-inspired California Coastal Cruises

posted on May 30th, 2012 by Jonathan Frontado, Disney Cruise Line

If you‘re a fan of Pixar Animation Studios’ award-winning films, you are going to love the new offerings announced today for Disney Cruise Line’s seven-night California Coastal voyages this fall.

Disney Cruise Line Announces Pixar-inspired California Coastal Cruises

During these voyages, Disney Cruise Line guests will be able to interact with and explore the world of Pixar and their beloved characters while the Disney Wonder sails to popular port cities along the coast of California. Special entertainment and offerings designed for both children and adults include:

• Artists and filmmakers from Pixar Animation Studios will provide an inside look at the creative process used to develop an animated feature which includes a look at the making of Pixar’s newest release “Brave” and a sneak peek at footage of future Pixar films.
  • Storyboards, character sketches, environment paintings, maquettes and other inspiring concept art used to design Pixar films will be on display in a special art exhibition at sea. This collection of art has only been seen outside of Pixar Animation Studios when displayed at leading art museums around the world.
  • Guests will be able to enjoy the entire Pixar library of films while onboard, including a selection of delightful animated shorts. The voyages coincide with the theatrical premiere of “Finding Nemo 3D,” which guests can enjoy at either of the two theatres equipped with state-of-the-art Dolby 3D projection systems.
  • For the first time, more than a dozen Pixar characters will meet with and greet guests throughout the cruise including Mr. Incredible, Remy, Woody, Jessie and Buzz Lightyear. There will be a special Pixar-themed dance parties in the Atrium Lobby and a host of other opportunities for guests to reconnect with their favorite Pixar pals.

Guests sailing on the Pixar-themed voyages will also receive a commemorative lithograph created by Pixar artist and “Brave” co-director/screenwriter, Steve Purcell. These Pixar-inspired California Coastal cruises set sail Sept. 16, Sept. 23, Sept. 30 and Oct. 7 from the Port of Los Angeles.

Which Pixar offerings on Disney’s California Coastal cruises are the most enticing to you – character encounters…artist and filmmaker presentations and sneak peeks…the onboard film fest or the Pixar art gallery?

Tagged:

Filed: Disney Cruise Line

Grace on May 30th, 2012 at 10:33 am

This sounds fantastic! I would love the chance to get the inside scoop on the creative process behind these films. The artists and filmmakers must have some great stories to tell!

Marsha on May 30th, 2012 at 10:50 am

Gee, I hope they do a “soft” run on the cruise from Vancouver to LA!

Alison on May 30th, 2012 at 10:59 am

I had a blast at Pixar Weekend in Epcot. I wanna do this whole thing! It all sounds great!

Gayle from IN on May 30th, 2012 at 11:30 am

YIPPEE!! The only reason we are on the first Cali sailing is because the other ships weren’t going where we hoped/wanted. So we thought, yeh, we’ll do to Disneyland for the first time. Also, although we usually never get off the ship, San Francisco & San Diego are great stops.

After reading this blog update, I’m super extra excited for this sailing! Way to go Disney for using your local resources!

Nancy from NM on May 30th, 2012 at 11:31 am

I am already booked on the Sept 16 cruise..this is so great! Even more excited now…if they would just add a Pixar Excursion the planets would all align.

Lori on May 30th, 2012 at 11:32 am

This is a wonderful idea (no pun intended). I hope it will expand to future cruises across all ships with all different character themes. The best park character dinner my family experienced was the Villians dinner. It was discontinued because of young kids reactions. How fun would it be to do a Villians cruise in the adult restricted areas during Halloween and a not so scary version for the family areas.

Robert from MO on May 30th, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Awww man, if I could scrape up the cash that would be great, if only to meet Mr. Fredrickson. Why isn’t he at any of the parks any more? He should meet guest with Dug and Russel in Animal Kingdom or on the Wilderness Trail.

Michelle from CA on May 30th, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I just wish they were shorter. I’ve never been on a cruise and don’t want to spend a week being seasick, just in case I’m prone to it. On a three-day, we’d be able to tell if cruising is for us.

Allie on May 30th, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Lori: your request for a villains cruise makes me think of the book “Kingdom Keeper V: Shell Game” by Ridley Pearson. As KK fans know, villains can get out of hand on a cruise ship, particularly when they’re real and out for revenge… LOL!

Liz on May 30th, 2012 at 9:34 pm

That sounds AMAZING! I wish I could go to one but that’s unlikely to happen this year…hope there’s more in the future!

Beverly from CT on May 31st, 2012 at 7:34 am

Michelle….we’ve done 13 cruises now, only 1 really rough trip. Theses ships are large, and very stable, very few people on our trips have complained about ship motion. There are some good prescription products your doctor can prescribe if motion sickness is a problem. I really would not let that concern keep you off one of these cruises! They are way too much fun, and the crews leave you feeling very pampered!

Ardythe from OK on June 1st, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I really hope this is offered again. It was just to short of notice for us to be able to go. Please, do it again!!! :0)

Sara on June 14th, 2012 at 12:32 am

Dying to plan this cruise with my 2.5 year old! I would like to go next year sometime, the only bummer is they only post for Sept and Oct of this year! “/