Mickey and Friends at Disneyland Park

Disney’s Art of Animation Resort Merchandise Comes to Life

posted on May 14th, 2012 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

Disney's Art of Animation Resort Merchandise Featuring Shirts

With the opening of Disney’s Art of Animation Resort only a few weeks away, I sat down with Disney Design Group Artist Bob Holden to review some of the new merchandise we’ve developed. You may recall that Bob and I have previously discussed his work with merchandise for Disney Vacation Club Resorts and Disney’s Aulani, a Resort and Spa in Ko ‘Olina, Hawai’i. Bob told me that Walt Disney Imagineering was a key partner for the creation of this merchandise.

Disney's Art of Animation Resort Merchandise Featuring Souvenirs

“The Walt Disney Imagineering team was an outstanding partner,” exclaimed Bob. “They provided the art files that we used for the merchandise. The designs that you see on the shirts and other items were lifted directly from artwork that guests will see at the new resort.”

Disney's Art of Animation Resort Merchandise Featuring Drink Hat

You can see the main art we used on merchandise on the outside of Animation Hall, the check-in building at the Resort. Bob also used the colorful diamond pattern found at the resort as a background for on several items. The shirt images were also taken directly from the resort (look for the Ariel image and others inside Animation Hall).

There will be two pins created for the opening. The open edition pin uses an image of Crush from the Disney•Pixar’s “Finding Nemo” wing. The limited edition pin has an edition size of 500 and will be released at the Ink and Paint Shop in the resort on May 31.

Disney's Art of Animation Resort Merchandise Featuring Decals and Tumbler

As for my favorite items, I liked the paint brush pen and the tumbler with a straw. Since I’m a fan of roadside architecture, I thought the wall decals of the Radiator Springs’ signs was a fun addition.

As for future items, Bob said they are still developing retail versions of lamps and shower curtains that are similar to items that will be found in guests’ rooms. Those retail items will be arriving at a future date.

Bob said he was most impressed with the colorful details found throughout the resort.

“I really found myself being immersed in a colorful and fun environment,” explained Bob after he visited the location. “The details made me feel like I was being transported to each character’s world, which is what we do best at Disney.”

For more updates on Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, see the posts below:

• Disney’s Art of Animation Resort: One Month From Opening
  • Pixar Animator Tours New ‘Finding Nemo’ Wing at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort
  • Time-Lapse Video: Will You ‘Find Nemo’ At Disney’s Art of Animation Resort?

Tagged:

Filed: Hotels & Resorts, Walt Disney World Resort

Christopher from TX on May 14th, 2012 at 10:03 am

Two thumbs up for resort specific merchandise!!! More of this please!!!

Theresa from TX on May 14th, 2012 at 10:19 am

I am sooo excited to be the on opening day!! 17 more days and I will be wearing alot of that wonderful new merchandise!! Thanks for sharing!

Jessica on May 14th, 2012 at 10:22 am

Thank you for releasing images of the items!! Is the purple Ariel shirt a women’s or a girl’s?

Lon on May 14th, 2012 at 10:46 am

How big are the Cars Wall Decals? I’m redoing my son’s bedroom as a Cars themed room and those would look awesome if they are large.

Steven Miller on May 14th, 2012 at 11:02 am

@Jessica – The purple Ariel shirt is a ladies’ tee. It will have a size range of XS-2XL.

@Lon – The master, double-sided decal sheet measures approximately 10.25″ wide by 16.25″ long. The individual decals are smaller (maybe about 4″ or so).

Tom on May 14th, 2012 at 11:04 am

Do we know what time the store will open on the 31st? What time will guests staying at the resort be allowed to enter the resort grounds that day?

I’m checking in on that first day after staying at Pop Century, so I’ll just be walking over with my bags to check-in.

Thanks for any and all info!

Steven Miller on May 14th, 2012 at 4:50 pm

@Tom – I spoke with one of the area leaders for merchandise who said that the merchandise location and the food court will be opening at 6:00 a.m. that morning. I hope that is helpful.

Lori on May 14th, 2012 at 11:08 am

Please consider expanding this idea to include all WDW resorts. Part of the fun of shopping for me is finding unique items connected with each trip (7WDW,1DL and 2DCL). My other passion is scrapbooking. Most of the items would make great embellishments. Finally, please consider doing the apparel for Pooh and Baloo sized folks above 2x. Thank you.

Pamela on May 14th, 2012 at 12:42 pm

There was an antenna topper created for the opening of Pop Century. Will there be one for the Art of Animation Resort?

Steven Miller on May 14th, 2012 at 1:15 pm

@Pamela – Sorry. There is not currently an antenna topper planned for the Art of Animation Resort.

Dina from AB on May 14th, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Love it! I’m already ‘shopping’ and I don’t arrive for 10 more months!!! Thanks for sharing ;)

Diana from NY on May 14th, 2012 at 3:01 pm

This merchandise looks great, Steven! I’ve noticed over my past few trips that resort-specific merchandise has become harder to find, except in the deluxe resorts. With Art of Animation getting new (spiffy!) merchandise, will we be seeing new merchandise across the other resorts as well?

Steven Miller on May 15th, 2012 at 9:36 am

@Diana – Glad you like the new items. I spoke with Lindsay from the product development team. She said that we continually review assortments. There was a time that we discontinued carrying some Resort logo specific merchandise in certain locations. Yet, we recently released new items in several of those resorts (like Disney’s Beach Club Resort).

Currently, we support about 16 Resorts in Florida with logo merchandise, with the newest being Disney’s Art of Animation Resort.

For those Resorts that don’t have logo merchandise (such as Disney’s All-Star Resort), Lindsay said that Guests may still be able to create items at Disney’s Design-A-Tee located in the Downtown Disney Marketplace (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/destinations/downtown-disney/shopping/design-a-tee/).

Amanda on May 14th, 2012 at 3:05 pm

ooh I love that paintbrush pen! I can’t wait to stay here on our next WDW visit.

Eric on May 14th, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Is either the aluminum sports cup or the swirly-straw tumbler going to be the Refillable cup at the food court?
    (Or do they still have those?)

Steven Miller on May 15th, 2012 at 9:37 am

@Eric – Not that I’m aware of … those two items pictured above will be carried in The Ink & Paint Shop merchandise location.

Samantha on May 14th, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I love all the merchandise! I want to buy it all! I am glad to see some resort specific merchandise. I cant wait to stay at Art of Animation Resort!

Dale from MD on May 14th, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Love the trend that merchandise has been taking lately to more specific themes, wether it’s retro-EPCOT Center, resort specific (specifically the Poly!) or World Showcase, over the generic “Disney Park” merch . . .

Kyra on May 14th, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I need to get myself one of those Ariel shirts… Or maybe the mug….

Laurence on May 15th, 2012 at 12:14 am

Please tell me that Resorts are getting back their individual identities back. We want resort specific merchandise back. While you are at it bring back park and land/area specific merchandise back.

Tim from NC on May 15th, 2012 at 9:02 am

Thanks so much for sharing the pictures! We’re looking forward to staying at the Art of Animation Resort May 2013, we might be able to sneak a trip this Thanksgiving. Love the merchandise! Can’t wait to get my hands on it.

Shelly from IL on May 15th, 2012 at 9:26 am

So glad to see resort-specific merchandise!! Please bring it back to all the resorts!

Joanna on May 15th, 2012 at 11:56 am

I’m just excited to see Ariel on adult-sized clothes, period! I had to buy a girls’ XL hoodie at Epcot last year because that’s the only Ariel attire I could get.

I’m a kid of the 80′s, Disney! Young at heart! Gimme princess wear!

Kerry on May 15th, 2012 at 1:25 pm

My daughter is a pin collector. We will be checking in at the resort on June 18. I’m afraid the collector pins will be sold out by then. Any plans of releasing more?

Paul on May 15th, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I’ll be staying at Pop Century at that time, so, I’ll be taking a walk across Hourglass Lake (if it’s open), to check this out. I’ve been watching the construction from across the lake during my stays, so it will be exciting to actually see the property finally be transformed after all these years.

Martha from NC on May 16th, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I am SO happy to see resort specific merchandise. It’s about time they went back to doing that. I used to be so many souvenirs on each of my trips – buying things specific to the resort we stayed at. But the last few trips we haven’t bought much at all – because we couldn’t find anything resort specific other than trading pins! Please go back to this for all resorts (and not just the deluxe or DVC resorts, please!)

Rebecca on May 17th, 2012 at 4:20 pm

That Ariel T-shirt is wonderful. I am in love with the simple sketching. Will definitely be getting that shirt at on my stay at the resort :)

Marguerite from NY on May 20th, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Any chance that those who have reservations already can reserve a limited edition pin. I don’t arrive until the end of August. Can’t wait! Merchandise looks great!

Steven Miller on May 21st, 2012 at 9:43 am

@Marguerite – Glad to hear you will be visiting us! I hope you have a wonderful trip. Unfortunately, we do not offer a reserve list for limited edition pins. They are sold on a first come, first serve basis.

The only other option would be to contact Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Merchandise Guest Services at 1-877-560-6477 or send an email to: merchandiseguestservices@disney.go.com

That team may be able to assist you 30-days after the limited edition pin is released (and depending upon availability). They don’t have access to limited edition pins prior to that 30-day period.

Beverly from NJ on May 21st, 2012 at 2:48 pm

This is great! I wish they would do this for all the resorts and bring back the specific resort refillable mug—-