Walt Disney World Resort, The Haunted Mansion

‘The Magic, The Memories and You!’ Celebrates Summer at Disneyland and Magic Kingdom Parks

posted on May 24th, 2012 by Shawn Slater, Communications Manager, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Creative Entertainment

They say, “Time flies when you’re having fun!”

Well, I can tell you that working with the Creative Entertainment team at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts is an absolute blast! I can hardly believe it’s Memorial Day weekend already. That means summer is here, and it’s time for another update to our award-winning projection show, “The Magic, The Memories and You!

“The Magic, The Memories and You!” was introduced early last year as part of our “Let the Memories Begin” campaign. It takes place nightly, magically transforming the facades of “it’s a small world” at Disneyland park and Cinderella Castle at Magic Kingdom Park and incorporating Disney PhotoPass images of our guests that day making memories. Throughout the year, the creative team has introduced various seasonal enhancements to the show, and for the sequence being added to the show this summer, they’ve really outdone themselves!

“Producers storyboarded the show as if it were a short animated film,” explains Disneyland Resort Creative Director Alan Bruun. “They weaved music, story, photography, video and animation into a new kind of nighttime entertainment.”

“'it's
“'it's
“'it's

“Cinderella “Cinderella

“Cinderella

During the new sequence, “it’s a small world” becomes everything from a sandcastle to an ancient, vine-covered ruin. Cinderella Castle undergoes similar transformations, “dancing” along to the beat at one point in the show and becoming finger-painted in the style of artist Peter Max during another.

“Goofy

Popular Disney characters show up along the way, too. Look for Goofy surfing and water-skiing across the facades, Timon and Pumbaa singing “Hakuna Matata,” and Ariel and Sebastian’s “hot crustacean band” jamming under the sea. There’s even a cameo appearance by the ultimate boys of summer, Phineas and Ferb.

The new sequence becomes part of “The Magic, The Memories and You!” on May 25, along with many of the most popular, continuing segments of the show. In fact, fans of the “romance” enhancement added in February will be pleased to know it’s slated to continue running throughout the summer, as well.

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Makenzie on May 24th, 2012 at 4:51 pm

It’s things like this that make me wish I’d studied to be an Imagineer instead of a writer. The magic created in Disney parks never ceases to make my heart swell!

Shawn Slater on May 25th, 2012 at 7:35 am

Makenzie, there are actually dozens of different job descriptions included within Walt Disney Imagineering, including writers! You can learn more about the various roles at Imagineering by checking out some of the books published on the subject, including The Imagineering Field Guides and Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real. Job opportunities within Imagineering and other divisions of The Walt Disney Company, when available, are listed at DisneyCareers.com. Good luck!

Tanya on May 24th, 2012 at 5:48 pm

How long does it run for? We are coming to Disney World Labor Day week and would love to see this.

Shawn Slater on May 25th, 2012 at 7:38 am

Tanya, an end date has not yet been established for the summer version of the show, so there’s a possibility it could run beyond Labor Day. Regardless, though, you’ll still have an opportunity to see “The Magic, The Memories and You!” in some form during your vacation.

Lauren on May 24th, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I have a question…So will the “romance” segment be a part of this new Summer version of the show, or will they be 2 separate shows that can be seen throughout the next few months? Thanks.

Shawn Slater on May 25th, 2012 at 9:36 am

Good question, Lauren. Each new sequence that we’ve introduced is just a portion of the overall “The Magic, The Memories and You!” show, much of which remains the same from season to season. During summer, each performance of the show will feature both the “romance” and “summer” elements, along with the usual favorites.

I’m wondering, What is everyone’s favorite sequence in “The Magic, The Memories and You?” Mine is undoubtedly the moment when hundreds of photos of our Guests turn into Pixie Dust and form an image of Walt Disney, which then transitions into a video clip of him on Disneyland’s opening day. That gives me goose bumps every time I see it!

Na*o*mi on May 25th, 2012 at 8:53 am

From its first showing when I saw it at Disneyland, I’ve absolutely loved this show and try to catch it as often as possible. And while there are no plans yet to return to WDW — I look forward to our next visit so we can see it projected onto Cinderella’s Castle. Now that must be truly magical :)

One comment — not so much about the show but about the experience when we were trying to watch it during a recent visit to the resort: it’s a small world remained open during the entire program. Not only were cast members’ greetings and instructions to the riders distracting, it took away from the overall effect and enjoyment of the show. The same is true of the lights lining the platform which remained on for safety. I would encourage Disneyland to temporarily close the attraction during the program.

Kimberly on May 25th, 2012 at 11:09 am

Are any of the above images available for purchase as prints?

Kristle on May 25th, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I so wanted to see this!!!! I’m hoping for an late late summer end date so I can sneak a visit to WDW and watch it … Cinderella’s Castle as a sand castle!!!!… my favorite sequence is a tie between the rocket launch and the pirate sequence when the castle looks like its on fire, followed closely by the gingerbread castle on the holiday show :D

Debbie from NY on May 25th, 2012 at 4:59 pm

We saw it last August and absolutely LOVED IT!! We were totally amazed at both shows, but didn’t realize until the 2nd one that 2 people in our family were in photos on the castle. Wish I had videotaped it! Any way to get a copy? Maybe in the future it could come with your photopass photos. Cannot wait til August this year and I will definitely videotape it this time….just in case. Thank you for all the beautiful amazing shows.

Lorraine on May 26th, 2012 at 8:32 pm

This amazed me last year, hands down coolest thing I’ve ever seen at Disney! The castle transformation was breathtaking!

Dustin on May 30th, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I think both Shawn Slater’s and Na*o*mi’s points are both good ones. Thanks Shawn, for highlighting the many ways people can work for Disney. And excellent idea Na*o*mi, hopefully DL will make that change!

Jackie on June 6th, 2012 at 12:14 am

I’m very impressed by “The Magic, The Memories and You”! As a tech nerd I’ve thought I’ve seen it all, then you come up with this and I’m absolutely astounded! I hope it will be available in the winter, as that’s when my family plans our yearly trip to Disney World from Chicago.