Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Happy Holidays from Disneyland Resort Paris

Vintage Walt Disney World: A Carousel Holiday in 1975

posted on May 24th, 2012 by Nate Rasmussen, Archivist, Marketing Resource Center

No need to look at your calendars, it’s not Christmas time just yet. That is unless you’re inside Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress at Magic Kingdom Park where our Audio-Animatronics family celebrates the holiday everyday.

“Audio-Animatronics

A few weeks ago, blog reader Amanda asked if I could find a vintage look into the final scene of the Carousel, and after some digging, I found what Christmastime looked like back in May 1975 (Believe it or not, that final scene is actually set on New Years Eve).

“Audio-Animatronics

And while the message of the Carousel of Progress hasn’t changed after all these years, it looks like Jimmy traded in his plaid pants for some jeans, Patricia opted for ski boots over her guitar, and Rover, well, he hasn’t moved much in almost 37 years.

Filed: Disney History, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Keith on May 24th, 2012 at 9:14 am

Best. Attraction. Ever.

Thank you for the vintage pic!

Nate Rasmussen on May 24th, 2012 at 11:20 am

You’re welcome. :)

Jason on May 24th, 2012 at 9:28 am

What I’d really like to see is the vintage pic, the current pic and an artists drawing showing the long overdue upgrade to this last scene.

Nicole on May 24th, 2012 at 9:31 am

I LOVE this ride!! It is a must to sit & watch it every time we are there. It is a classic, and I hope it stays. Thanks for showing us pictures of it when I was a kid !!

Mark on May 24th, 2012 at 9:34 am

I’m sure mom is hoping for an upgrade on her laptop for Christmas!

Nate Rasmussen on May 24th, 2012 at 11:16 am

Hahaha. Yes. She’s missing out, isn’t she?

Kimberly from MA on May 24th, 2012 at 9:36 am

I agree on the long overdue update!! They are all dressed like it’s 1990 still!!

When was the last update of this attraction anyway?

Nate Rasmussen on May 24th, 2012 at 11:18 am

1994

Jeff from OH on May 24th, 2012 at 10:11 am

Nate, thanks for sharing this. I love looking back on Walt’s ideas and how they look today.

One of my favorites

Andrea from OH on May 24th, 2012 at 10:58 am

Great photo, thanks for posting. Agree with Keith: best attraction ever.

James on May 24th, 2012 at 11:07 am

I dig what appears to be a macrame tapestry on the center wall. And I’m supposing that the tree is a bright and shiny aluminum. Maybe with a rainbow light fixture? All that’s missing is are avocado tinted kitchen appliances and a burnt orange counter top.

Nate Rasmussen on May 24th, 2012 at 11:19 am

I love the plaid pants the son is wearing. Very fashionable!

Mary-Kate on May 24th, 2012 at 11:12 am

Christmas 1975 was my First Christmas!!

Katherine from ON on May 24th, 2012 at 1:53 pm

My family always enjoys CoP, but our 11 yr girl truely LOVES it. I have to agree on the previous comments about the attraction getting the TLC it deserves though- esp the theatre itself… there is something about the smell of “burnt turkey” that just seems to linger forever ;)

Jim on May 24th, 2012 at 3:04 pm

As I recall, instead of turkey, Dad was making Omelette du fromage avec jambone Now is the time… °o°

Jim on May 24th, 2012 at 3:10 pm

And, if my little-kid memory serves, didn’t there used to be lines in the dialog something like, “Yessir, those folks over at GE sure have made out lives easier…” ?

Al on May 24th, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Favorite ride. Thank you for posting the memory pic and comparison.

Mr on May 24th, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I agree on the need for an update, but I still miss the old song from my childhood, “The Best Time of Your Life”, that was replaced in the last update in 1994.

/~ Now is the time, now is the best time, now is the best time of our lives… ~/

I know the current song, “There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow”, is really the original from Disneyland (and the World’s Fair before it), but I loved the CoP as a child and the song is inextricably tied to it in my head. So I’m always just a little disappointed when I hear the new song and it doesn’t match my memories. Not that I don’t still enjoy it. ;-)

Angela from PA on May 24th, 2012 at 8:42 pm

We visited this attraction twice on our vacation to Disney World last year. This attraction has a special place in my heart because my mother saw it at the New York World’s Fair where it originated. Thank you for the vintage photo!

JoAnn on May 24th, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Definitely a classic.

Skip from FL on May 24th, 2012 at 11:33 pm

………”right here and now, you’ve got it made, we’re in there forward marching now we’re in the parade”.

Darren from CT on May 25th, 2012 at 7:51 am

Let’s not forget the Hidden Mickey over the fireplace – it’s a Mickey Mouse nutcracker.

Walt on May 29th, 2012 at 9:12 pm

There’s a great big beautiful tomorrow and tomorrow’s just a dream away! I think I still have a pair of those pants in my closet. I use to travel with singing groups and choirs. Every time we were on Carousel of Progress we would sing along with the attraction. What fun!!!! Great Memories!!! I always got to be Father. Now I am enjoying my favorite job title GRANDPA and we still SING!!!

Friend on June 8th, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Upgrading the Carousel back in 1975 was a great pleasure for me, as I had grown up with the show, and the family was made up of friends I worked with literally. The boy had my boss’s feet, some of the faces of our secretary’s were used, as well as arms and legs. All those great antiques made a trip to the “One of a Kind” shop pleasurable if you could find one like something in the show. My GE oscillating brass bladed fan was a find. Would love to see it return to California’s Disneyland with a 2015 final scene.

mark on June 21st, 2012 at 10:23 am

did you know that all the animatronics characters lines are scrolling along on the home computer in the background as they are being said, there is also a note on the bulletin board that says marty called, wants change. ;) could be cool to take the whole thing retro instead of trying to keep up.