Spaceship Earth at Epcot

We Direct Your Attention High on the Icy Slopes of the Matterhorn at Disneyland Park

posted on May 8th, 2012 by Shawn Slater, Communications Manager, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Creative Entertainment

Matterhorn Bobsleds has always been my favorite attraction at Disneyland park. Nothing beats the giddy thrill of hurtling through caverns of ice, encountering the Abominable Snowman and splashing down in an Alpine stream.

Mountaineers Scale the Matterhorn at Disneyland Park

One of my earliest memories in the park is of walking down Matterhorn Way and stopping in my tracks when I realized there were people actually climbing the famous Swiss peak. Having real mountain climbers on the mountain is a tradition started by Walt Disney in 1959 when the attraction opened. Over the years, climbers going by the names Hans, Otto and Fritz took on the challenge of reaching the summit.

I’m excited to tell you that this summer, brave mountaineers will once again scale the icy slopes of the mighty Matterhorn. Look for them starting June 15 when the Matterhorn Bobsleds attraction reopens. Seeing them is one of those only-in-Disneyland experiences that will make you yodel with joy!

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Kristen on May 8th, 2012 at 5:08 pm

YAY! I always loved seeing the mountain climbers. It’s just one of those disney moments that make being at the parks so magical!

Shawn Slater on May 8th, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I agree! It’s going to be so cool to see them again.

carlos on May 8th, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I am absolutely ecstatic about the reopening. The park hasn’t been the same since I couldn’t come in and ride this, but frankly to see it remodeled and re-imagined is going to be such a great feeling. They have done such a good job on cleaning up ol’ matty. Will there be any new merchandise to commemorate the new opening?!

Matthew from CA on May 8th, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Yes, yes, YES. What great news! The Matterhorn climbers have been missed these past few years, and I am so happy to hear they are returning. It is fun and mesmerizing to watch them climb, and they add a touch of realism as well as fantasy to the park’s iconic mountain. Like you say, it is an “only-in-Disneyland” tradition. :)

Fred from CA on May 8th, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Awesome news!

I just hope that the mountain climbing doesn’t dirty up the fresh, new paint job!

Jaime on May 8th, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I remember Goofy climbing too. Any pictures of that anywhere??? I want to say Mickey was with him but Goofy stands out in my mind.

Emily from CA on May 8th, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I’m so excited! Mountain climbers is one thing I’ve always heard about yet never seen and always wished would come back. I can’t wait to finally experience it!

Adam on May 8th, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I remember during the 50th Anniversary they had Mickey scaling the peak! I have some great pics from that. I love how Disneyland embraces their history while always looking to the future – always nostalgic while always innovative. Pure Magic. :O)

Amy from CA on May 8th, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Will climbing characters return as well? They were the best!

Shawn Slater on May 8th, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Mickey and other Disney characters have climbed the Matterhorn in the past, but this year they’ll be plenty busy with other things around the park, like greeting their guests and appearing in the Hoedowns back at the new Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree in Frontierland!

Connie on May 8th, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I can’t wait!This is something I remember when I was younger and now my kids can experience Disney Magic only found in Disneyland.

Lyndsey on May 8th, 2012 at 7:30 pm

That’s exciting news! The Matterhorn is my dad’s favorite ride (he’s missed it during this rennovation!) and he used to love those mountain climbers, and whenever we talk about past Disneyland attractions, he always asks me why there aren’t mountain climbers anymore. He’ll be excited to hear that they’ll be back! :)

Dan on May 8th, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Will there will a show like they did during the 50th Anniversary. I always loved that!

Dan on May 8th, 2012 at 7:54 pm

FINALLY, the basketball court in the Matterhorn will be used again!! :)

Brian from CA on May 9th, 2012 at 1:23 am

Question, what is Matterhorn Way? … And oh yea… I can’t wait for the finish, opening. Is the the path you defined the back-east face or the Southern face of the Mountain?

Shawn Slater on May 9th, 2012 at 9:20 am

Brian, Matterhorn Way is the name of the path that leads from Sleeping Beauty Castle into Fantasyland, along the edge of the Matterhorn. As for what path the climbers will take for their ascent, you’ll just have to wait and see. It’s sure to be an adventure!

Steven on May 9th, 2012 at 9:04 am

Yes! Love that the climbers are coming back! I have fond memories of seeing people climb the Matterhorn as well as seeing Tinkerbell fly around. Maybe Tink can also make a comeback? :)

Shawn Slater on May 9th, 2012 at 9:18 am

Good news, Steven! Tinker Bell is still part of the fireworks spectaculars at Disneyland. She flies high above Sleeping Beauty Castle during both Magical and Remember… Dreams Come True. Fireworks aren’t scheduled every night, though, so check the entertainment schedule at Disneyland.com before you go.

Jeffrey on May 9th, 2012 at 9:13 am

Since the skyway is gone – maybe they can put a zip-line experience that goes thru it? Or a rock-climb for the guests like the harness Trek at Animal Kingdom in Florida. Just dreaming……Imagine the view!

Jim from OR on May 9th, 2012 at 11:16 am

I was lucky enough to see Micky climb the Matterhorn, with Minnie and Goofy at the starting point of the climb. This was during the 50th Anniversary Celebration…and 50 years to the day after I first got to go to Disneyland in middle of October 1955. Also got to view Fantazmic from what was then the Guest Relations balcony at the Disney Gallery. What a wonderful surprise to see this, with Mickey planting a flag on the summit, and Minnie and Goofy with the 50 and the key…great memories…

Warren from CA on May 9th, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Is the basketball hoop still there in the upper break room? Funny how things take on a life of their own.

Kyra on May 9th, 2012 at 9:05 pm

That’s so magical!

Devon on May 11th, 2012 at 4:27 pm

it has always been a dream of mine to be one of them!! is there any info on how to be one?