Walt Disney at Disneyland Park

Disney California Adventure Park Guests Will ‘Glow with the Show’

posted on June 11th, 2012 by Erin Glover, Social Media Director, Disneyland Resort

Starting June 15, Disney California Adventure park guests will have the chance to light up the night when Glow with the Show Ears become available for purchase at select locations throughout the park.

For more than 55 years, the classic, black Mickey Mouse ear hat has been a Disney Parks guest favorite. In 2005, those ears got a golden touch to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Disneyland park, and there have been more than 200 different ear hats including limited-edition and novelty ear hats. Now, using the latest interactive technology, our newest ear hats will quite literally let you “Glow with the Show.” Watch as the iridescent ears change to complement and harmonize with what’s happening around you, allowing you to become a part of the magic of our nighttime spectaculars, such as “World of Color” and Mad T Party. But that’s not all – there are lots of surprises in store when you visit Disney California Adventure park with Glow with the Show Ears, so I’ll let you discover them for yourself!

Here’s a peek at what the new Glow with the Show Ears will look like:
“Rendering

“Glow with the Show now lets our guests become part of the color of our magical ‘World of Color’ at the Paradise Bay lagoon,” describes Steve Davison, Creative Entertainment Vice President of Parades & Spectaculars. “Throughout the show, the Glow with the Show Ears become a set of pixels that dance and play along with each sequence in ‘World of Color’ in a bright and dynamic way. For example, during the show, guests become part of the ocean with the Little Mermaid, a shining galaxy of stars for WALL-E and Eve, an extension of the Genie’s magic in ‘Friend Like Me,’ among other interactive explosions of color throughout the entire show. It truly brings the show’s environment out of the lagoon and into the audience in an amazing and dazzling new way!”

Are you planning to “Glow with the Show” on your next visit to Disney California Adventure park?

Read more news from Disney California Adventure park in the posts below:

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort

Kelly on June 11th, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Is this the same technology that Coldplay is currently using for their concerts? They hand out glowing bracelets to the concert goers that light up in time with certain songs.

Brad from NM on June 11th, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Oh My! I cannot wait to try these out in November. I am not even going to tell my kids what to expect… just buy them the ears and have them wearing them at the show. Can’t wait!

Barbara on June 11th, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I was wondering the same thing Kelly, it seems just like the Coldplay bracelets

Makenzie on June 11th, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Kelly, I wondered the same thing! This sounds incredible — and I love that it’s going to be a totally unique experience from anything else in the park.

How will it tie into Mad T Party, as the first part of this post states? Also, any word on the cost of these little beauties?

Erin Glover on June 12th, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Makenzie – “These little beauties” (love that line) will be available for $25, which includes tax.

As for how they will work with Mad T Party, you’ll have to see it for yourself – but I will can tell you that they will react in sync with the music and lighting effects.

Theresa on June 11th, 2012 at 7:38 pm

LOVE THESE (and please, somebody program my wardrobe to be able to pick the right colors for whatever current situation I’m in!) but I’d like to (h)ear more about the manual controls. So far, buying/wearing my own means I won’t be able to see any of the changes myself! :D It’d be nice if they’d glow outside of Disney too!

Ted from IL on June 11th, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Wow..I wish Walt Disney World Had these..

Kristal on June 11th, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I’m curious. I signed up for the “Glow in the Show” AP event on June 30th. Weren’t AP holders suppose to experience this beforehand? Not complaining, just curious. I’m still excited to go! :)

Meredith on June 12th, 2012 at 1:56 am

SO EXCITED FOR THIS.

How much are the ear hats going to be, though?

Jon from TX on June 12th, 2012 at 7:43 am

There were some great (plastic) pins for WALT DISNEY WORLD’S 100 YEARS OF MAGIC CELEBRATION that used this technology, , and I highly recommend buying a set of these “ears”! The pins reacted to the FANTASMIC performance and at one point, guests were actually turning around in their seats to watch our pins instead of watching the show. They were so amazing and even did different things on certain attractions. We were constantly amazed and delighted that we bought them. We still tell people about our “smart” pins and how they brought even more MAGIC to our vacation. What WILL the imagineers think of next?

Christopher on June 12th, 2012 at 10:40 am

so exicted….I must have a pair!

Marvin on June 12th, 2012 at 12:08 pm

There is some confusion as to when these are available. The blog states the 15th, the picture states the 18th and another blog states the 28th. Can you clarify when please?

Erin Glover on June 12th, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I’m sorry for the confusion, Marvin. The Glow with the Show Ears will be available on June 15. I’ve corrected the error in the caption – thanks for catching that.

Kameo on June 12th, 2012 at 3:12 pm

What locations will sell the hats? Will they be available all day or only at night?

Tomm from BC on June 12th, 2012 at 3:50 pm

This is cool, we will be there on the 15th. How much are these going for, I need 5 :-P

Anonymous on June 12th, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I HAVE to have these!! I’ll definitely be picking several up when I come to Disneyland in September. Thanks for the head-up!

Jason on June 12th, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Actually Jon from TX, these were designed by the park’s Technical Services Department not the Imagineers. Im sure WDI had input, but the product was designed by Technical Services.

Christian on June 13th, 2012 at 12:06 am

Wow, thanks so much for the heads up, Kelly! Do you know where these will be sold? I’ll be definitely be picking up a pair myself on the 15th. :D

Brandy on June 13th, 2012 at 1:16 am

I will be there on the 15th. Where in the park will they be available. I already have to be at the Animation building to get the special 15th merchandise. Just need top plan my shopping route. :)

Marjaneh on June 14th, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I’m going to the Annual Passholder Glow with the Show screening at the end of the month. I thought we were invited to test the technology. Guess it’s just a private screening given that these hats will be available June 15th?

Michelle on June 14th, 2012 at 2:27 pm

We tried registering for the annual passholder glow with the show yesterday only to find out that the show had filled up to capacity one hour prior to us arriving at the ticket Booth….my question is will the annual passholder discount apply for the hats?

Aly on June 15th, 2012 at 2:27 am

Can we order the ears online? Or are the only available at the park? They are so cool!

Tiffany on June 15th, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I am really disappointed the premium shows are all full…I was really looking forward to go…are they going to open up anymore shows to pass holders??

Jason on June 15th, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Tiffany there’s over 300,000 premium passholders, trying to get in one of the events is getting rather difficult these days (over 900k of all types of passholders)

D. on June 15th, 2012 at 7:02 pm

They could take this farther…they could automatically turn say blue when in Tomorrowland or green in Adventureland…on National days (4th of July, Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day, etc) change red, white & blue!

Fred from CA on June 15th, 2012 at 8:21 pm

This is such an awesome idea!

Leonard from CA on June 19th, 2012 at 10:37 am

The ears are sold at several locations inside DCA. The AP discount applies and I recall they were around $23.30 retail before tax. (I know- a strange price.)