Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion

Duffy the Disney Bear Adds International Flavor to His Wardrobe at Disney Parks

posted on June 28th, 2012 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

“Duffy

The story of Duffy the Disney Bear has him exploring the world with Mickey Mouse. On July 1, Duffy adds a new shirt to his international wardrobe with the release of a tee-shirt for a 17-inch bear that salutes Brazil. I’ve been a fan of Brazilian music for years (especially the jazz and bossa nova greats from the mid 1960s); and the photographer-side of me would love to visit one day. I asked Denise Edelmaier, product developer for Duffy, why Brazil was selected for Duffy’s newest shirt.

“We saw success with the Mother’s Day and Father’s Day shirts, so we decided to introduce a shirt for a country not represented in World Showcase at Epcot,” explained Denise. “We selected Brazil as we hope our Brazilian guests who are visiting Walt Disney World Resort this summer will discover the happiness that Duffy brings.”

Monty Maldovan, long time artist and designer for Duffy’s outfits, created the artwork for the shirt. There are limited quantities of the shirt being added to existing 17-inch bears. Retail for this item will be $30.00 (plus tax), and it will be released in the following locations – Disney’s Traders at Epcot; World of Disney and Once Upon a Toy in Downtown Disney Marketplace; DisneyQuest at Downtown Disney West Side; and the Emporium in Magic Kingdom Park.

“Duffy

In keeping with the international theme, I’m happy to share a first look at the upcoming 12-inch bear for the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival. This year, the event returns to Florida from September 28 through November 12. Interestingly, the 2011 festival bear was the second most popular item sold last year (with the cookbook taking first place). This year’s bear has a feature I love – a bow tie!

“Duffy

Guests attending the festival this year will also find Chef Duffy on a limited edition pin. The pin has an edition size of 4,000 and will be released at Epcot at the start of the festival. Jeanne Lewis, developer for Event Pins, also shared with me a look at two holiday pins coming this year. One pin will be released at Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party while the other is coming to Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa in Ko ‘Olina, Hawai’i in late 2012.

For more updates on Disney Parks merchandise, check out these posts:

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Epcot, Walt Disney World Resort

Julie on June 28th, 2012 at 10:57 am

I love this bear. Being half Brazilian, I love seeing things like this. I know the new Duffy shirt will do great! You guys won’t be able to keep it on the shelves.

Franco on June 28th, 2012 at 11:49 am

Hi Steven, as a brazilian I am very proud to see Duffy wearing our flag. Could it be a sign that we will finnaly have a place at World Showcase? Thare are a lots of rumors about this.

Steven Miller on July 2nd, 2012 at 11:24 am

@Franco – I’m glad to hear you like this shirt. I’m sorry but I don’t know of any such plans. The shirt was designed simply to celebrate Brazil.

stephanie on June 30th, 2012 at 4:20 am

Hello Steven,
You are very LUCKY at Walt Disney World because you have many new Duffy’s items. I love all of them.
I hope that one day we could receive all that at Disneyland Paris.

At Disneyland Paris, we recently received 2 Duffy’s items in our stores. First one is a Duffy Pins (he is dressed like the Disneyland 20th anniversary plush). And last thursday (june 28th) I sent it to you. I hope you will enjoy it.

And the second one is a 40 inches Duffy plush ! he is huge !

Have a magical day !
Stephanie
From Disneyland Paris

stephanie on June 30th, 2012 at 4:22 am

Deasr Steven,

Do you think that one day, you could re-create Duffy colorfull plushes. I mean a Pink Duffy, a blue Duffy, A white Duffy, a grey Duffy… ?

Have a WONDERFUL day !
stephanie
from Disneyland Paris

Steven Miller on July 2nd, 2012 at 11:27 am

@Stephanie – Nice to hear from you! I trust all is going well in France. Great to hear that new items have arrived. I don’t know of any plans to introduce different colored bears. There will be a new smaller 9-inch Duffy coming for Halloween (which I’ll feature in an upcoming article).

Sandra on July 4th, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Hi Steven, I plan to attend the Vinylmation event on July 6 at the Contemporary. Will I be able to purchase the Duffy Vinymations there, or do I have to purchase them prior? Thanks!

Kristin on July 27th, 2012 at 10:09 am

Shellie Mae needs to be brought to America!! Plus more Duffy merchandise, including an iPhone case :o)