Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion

Sneak Peek: Kids Will Star in the Show at the Big Top Tent at Dumbo The Flying Elephant

posted on June 4th, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Walt Disney Imagineering just shared new details with the Disney Parks Blog about the new interactive queue area that will open at the big top tent at Dumbo the Flying Elephant in New Fantasyland this July.

This innovative queue area will completely redefine what it means for guests to prepare for a Disney attraction. Here’s how it will work: Guests arrive at Dumbo’s big top and receive a circus ticket pager that virtually holds their place and notifies them when it’s their turn to board the attraction. Kids (and kids of all ages) can then become part of the show inside the tent by enjoying circus-themed play experiences, while Dumbo flies high above.

Here are some photos of what you can expect!

“First-Ever

“First-Ever

First-Ever Interactive Queue Area Coming to Dumbo The Flying Elephant at New Fantasyland First-Ever Interactive Queue Area Coming to Dumbo The Flying Elephant at New Fantasyland

For more New Fantasyland updates, see the posts below:

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Marissa on June 4th, 2012 at 11:21 am

This looks WONDERFUL! I’m so glad it will be open in July, right on time for our family trip in late July/early August!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 4th, 2012 at 11:27 am

I think it looks great, too! Can’t wait to take my toddler. :)

Jessica on June 4th, 2012 at 11:34 am

Yay!! This looks so cool! :) My 3 year old is going to love this! December can’t come fast enough!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 4th, 2012 at 11:36 am

You’ll have much to look forward to in this area!

Amber on June 4th, 2012 at 11:38 am

I can’t wait to see this!! Our 2 1/2 yr old will lose his mind! Yay Disney!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 5th, 2012 at 3:20 pm

It looks like a ton of fun!

Dustin on June 4th, 2012 at 11:43 am

Love the idea of having a place holder. I know in other interactive queues I always felt bad having to move my son along and away from what he was playing with so we wouldn’t lose our spot in line. This is perfect now he can play until it’s our turn to ride. Looks like so much fun. Man, I wish I was a little kid now. lol

Douglas from MS on June 4th, 2012 at 11:43 am

Wow, this is going to be a place for the little tykes to go circus-wild. Removing the worst part of the old experience – standing outside in the heat was a great idea.

Justin on June 4th, 2012 at 11:46 am

What a great idea! Breaking up the tedium of waiting in a line is something I’m sure most people will be happy to see.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 4th, 2012 at 12:51 pm

This area looks like it will make for some cute pics, too.

Erin from RI on June 4th, 2012 at 11:46 am

My only challange beyond racing the half and the full marathons marathon weekend is deciding when to visit Magic Kingdom to see all of the fabulous new stuff in Fantasyland! I can’t wait to visit Dumbo in his new home! Any way we could take a ride on Dumbo during the races? That would be fantastic beyond belief!

Eric on June 4th, 2012 at 11:52 am

Combines a queue area with a play area so the kids can blow off steam while not standing around bored. Pretty ingenious if you ask me. And it looks spiffy too!

Emily on June 4th, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Wow! It looks spectacular! This is completely different than what I was thinking, but it seems like it will be a very cool experience (and I love that it is in the air conditioning!). Thank you so much for posting these pictures!

Arielle from NC on June 4th, 2012 at 12:16 pm

The pager is a great idea! It was always tricky holding your spot at the Winnie the Pooh queue. So glad Walt Disney Imagineering figured out a way to allow guests to enjoy interactive queues without having to lose their spot in line!! I hope they utilize that technology at other attractions!

Michelle from CA on June 4th, 2012 at 12:28 pm

This is not only ingenious (sp?) but a much kinder way to make the little ones wait – especially those with special needs who have a hard time standing still in a long queue. Bravo, Imagineers!

Eddie on June 4th, 2012 at 1:03 pm

My son and daughter will love this. Hope they still want to go on the ride once they start playing in here.

Danielle on June 4th, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Oh my goodness! I love it! This looks amazing. We are taking our daughter to WDW in August for her 3rd birthday. I’m sure she will love this!! Can’t wait!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 4th, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Have a great time, Danielle!

David on June 4th, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Whoa! Nice. Imagineering is really digging deep into the creative well for NF so far, really looking forward to seeing the whole thing complete. Keep up the good work, folks!

Dave

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 4th, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Dave – It’s going to be amazing!!

Paul on June 4th, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Looks amazing!

Will my kids and I be able to walk in and play for a bit and not ride? They don’t like the spinning ones, but would probably love this!

Jessica on June 4th, 2012 at 3:10 pm

July? Wow, I’m on the edge of my seat for this!! Thank you again, Jen!!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 4th, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Thank our Imagineers and their AMAZING creativity!

Randy on June 4th, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Will there be a way to bypass this for adults with no children who still love Dumbo?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 4th, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I’ll look into it.

Julie on June 4th, 2012 at 3:16 pm

This looks great! Planning on going the second week in December and hopefully Fantasyland is all open! Any news on when ADRs might be available for Be Our Guest?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 4th, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I promise that as soon as I know, you will all know.

Allie on June 4th, 2012 at 3:32 pm

This sounds incredible! It’s so exciting… and not just for little kids! I’m a college-age Disney fan, and I’m REALLY looking forward to seeing it on our next trip!

The interactive queues are so clever, and so fun too! I love the lines for Haunted Mansion and Winnie the Pooh. The place-holding feature in Dumbo is ingenious, too!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 4th, 2012 at 4:44 pm

The Haunted Mansion one is the BEST, isn’t it? I love all the hidden details at that one.

Stephanie from AZ on June 4th, 2012 at 3:59 pm

What a clever idea! It will be great to see how this works out and if it’s something they can bring over to other rides.

Jamie on June 5th, 2012 at 12:34 am

You have my dream job. Any ideas on how to get in the Disney door? Please and thank you!

rhonda on June 5th, 2012 at 12:56 am

This looks so fun ! I can’t wait for our trip this holiday season :) my daughter loves dumbo ,it is her favorite ride at Disneyland. I can’t wait for her to experience this at disneyworld ! Thanks for all of the new fantasyland updates Jennifer. We always look forward to your blogs .

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 5th, 2012 at 10:39 am

Thanks very much, Rhonda. Blogging about New Fantasyland is a lot of fun.

Michael on June 5th, 2012 at 10:34 am

SO COOL!!! I’m jealous of my kids!

Robert on June 5th, 2012 at 4:02 pm

This looks awesome – leave it to Disney to make even waiting in line more fun!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 6th, 2012 at 8:56 am

Samantha on June 5th, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I hope they mean early July for the opening. We will be at WDW July 7th – 10th and would so love to experience this!

Rindy on June 6th, 2012 at 1:12 am

Jennifer Fickley-Baker -… do you know if they have plans for a similar waiting area at Disneyland? I know the perfect place for it, the old Skyway to Tomorrowland station!!! A big top tent would look so great next to Casey Jr. and definitely close enough to the dumbo line! Our family often skips Dumbo because the kids can’t deal with the line :/ . I know Disneyland goers would greatly appreciate it :)!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 6th, 2012 at 8:55 am

I do not – sorry!

Joey on June 6th, 2012 at 10:51 am

Randy: Why would you want to bypass the area entirely? Just sit in the parents’ zone instead.

Also, are there any height, age, or weight restrictions (at either end) to any portion of the interactive queue?

Amy on June 6th, 2012 at 11:02 am

The pagers are such a great idea! We are looking forward to taking our 3 year old this fall, and the interactive queue will make waiting in line so much more fun.

Jen from PA on June 6th, 2012 at 12:46 pm

We’re going on a big family vacation at the end of July and we’re all so excited for these changes, especially for one of our favorite rides! Interactive queues are the best, regardless of what age you are!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 6th, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Have a blast!

Denise from KS on June 6th, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Disney NEVER ceases to amaze me with innovation and their dedication to excellence! Nice job!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 6th, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I’ll pass on the compliment!

Jennifer on June 6th, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Sounds like a great idea! Is there a time limit as to how long you have to get over to the ride vehicles once your pager goes off? Hopefully you don’t have to race there too quickly; sometimes it takes a kid a few extra seconds to climb down from their favorite height. But then again, I know that you wouldn’t want to take 10 minutes to get to the ride, either because then someone else’s pager might be going off. Can’t wait to try this out next time we go. Unfortunately we’ll just be missing it by a few weeks.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 7th, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I’m sure they’ll take this into consideration, especially since there will be tons of kids in this area.

Joey on June 7th, 2012 at 12:02 am

Are there any height, age, or weight restrictions (at either end) to any portion of the interactive queue?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 7th, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Not that I know of…let me check.

Walt on June 8th, 2012 at 4:21 pm

WOW!!! This is the best way I have ever seen to wait in line for an attraction!!! Will this type of interactive be coming to Disneyland? or to any other of the Disney Theme Park around the world.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on June 8th, 2012 at 10:50 pm

We’ll see how this goes…fingers crossed for more air-conditioned queue areas!