Aviator Minnie Mouse at Disney California Adventure Park

‘Storytellers’ Statue Welcomes Dreamers to Buena Vista Street at Disney California Adventure Park

posted on June 14th, 2012 by Erin Glover, Social Media Director, Disneyland Resort

We showed you a glimpse of the new “Storytellers” statue last year during the D23 Expo, and tomorrow, Disney California Adventure park guests will be able to greet the new statue of Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse themselves when Buena Vista Street officially opens! Take a look:

“'Storytellers'

A plaque just to the right of the statue tells the story of Walt Disney’s arrival in Los Angeles in 1923 in his own words:

It was July 1923. I packed all of my worldly goods – a pair of trousers, a checkered coat, a lot of drawing materials and the last of the fairy tale reels we had made – in a kind of frayed cardboard suitcase. And with that wonderful audacity of youth, I went to Hollywood, arriving there with just forty dollars. It was a big day the day I got on that Santa Fe California Limited. I was just free and happy!

Check out more news about Disney California Adventure park in the posts below:

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort

Fred from CA on June 14th, 2012 at 7:33 pm

It looks great!

Buena Vista Street is awesome. This is what California Adventure had been missing all along!

Loren from CA on June 14th, 2012 at 7:37 pm

It’s beautiful and I can’t wait to see it tomorrow!

Janet on June 14th, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I can’t wait to see this. We will be there in July.

Ted on June 15th, 2012 at 12:31 am

I do love the statue, although I really wish it was Oswald with Walt. It would make more sense! Walt came with Oswald and would only later have Mickey when he was already in California.

Still, it is well done, I have no doubts I’ll be taking a picture or two with it next time I’m there. :3

Justin on June 15th, 2012 at 2:47 am

I’m surprised that this statue isn’t on a platform like the Partners statue is! I’m looking forward to standing next to Walt and seeing how tall I am compared to him.

Laura from MN on June 15th, 2012 at 10:03 am

As Ted said – beautiful statue, it makes me grin from ear to ear and I want a little replica for my shelf already. However, I always thought Mickey was “born” in 1928. If they didn’t already use “28″ all over everything, then maybe I’d let it slide. It’s going to “bug” a lot of purists.

Julie on June 15th, 2012 at 11:12 am

I love this statue. It’s beautiful. I can’t wait to take my picture with it. Now I need to plan a trip to Disneyland. haha

Randi on June 15th, 2012 at 11:28 am

I love it so much. It gives me chills.

Krista on June 15th, 2012 at 11:57 am

I love this statue! For those stating that Mickey was not yet born when Walt first came to California may be true but I think the statue with Mickey represents more the dream of what was to come. Whether it was revealed at that time or not Mickey Mouse was in his destiny.

Erik from CA on June 15th, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Love the new statue and look forward to seeing it some day! Surely it will inspire all to be ‘just happy and free’ and remind everyone that dreams do come true. Congratulations to the Disneyland Resort on the Grand Re-Opening of Disney Calfironia Adventure Park!

Fred from CA on June 15th, 2012 at 1:48 pm

For all of you Oswald fans, don’t worry, they sell Oswald ear hats in the stores! :)

Jaime on June 18th, 2012 at 10:50 pm

When Walt arrived to CA he had already drawn Mickey although he wasn’t publicized yet or “born.” The character’s brithdays coincide with when they publically debuted in film or short. This statue represents Walt’s and Mickey’s arrival to this whole new world that they were about to make their mark on. In a way I feel it as Mickey being Walt’s secret buddy he has with him. In a movie Walt would be the only one that could actually see Mickey at that point, but as the audience we get to as well.