Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse Walk Under the Arch of Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland Park

Disney Alaska Cruise: A Ship Off the Old Glacier

posted on July 11th, 2012 by Jimmy Lynett, Cruise Director, Disney Cruise Line

Hello Disney Parks Blog fans! I’m Jimmy, cruise director on the Disney Wonder. Originally from Scranton, Pennsylvania, I now call Gold Coast, Australia, home with my wife and three amazing children. I have been with Disney Cruise Line since December 1998, when I began working in Youth Activities on the Disney Magic.

I’m writing to you now from the pristine waters of Alaska as we make our way through the summer cruise season here. People say a picture is worth 1,000 words. In Alaska, I say a picture cannot truly describe what you see. Everything from whales, dolphins, seals, bears and bald eagles to 7,000-foot snowcapped mountains and fresh fallen icebergs is like a live-action postcard.
“The

Whales Spotted from the Disney Wonder While Sailing in Alaska Bald Eagles Spotted from the Disney Wonder While Sailing in Alaska

Yes, shoot as many pictures as you can, but do not get lost behind the lens of your camera. Take a moment and enjoy for yourself the beauty that is Alaska. Here are some personal recommendations to make the most of your Alaskan adventure:

• Be prepared for the weather! I know its summer, but this is Alaska so dress warm and layer clothing. (You can always remove clothing should it get warm.)
  • No matter what the weather has in store, be out on deck during the scenic voyage through Tracy Arm! You need all five senses to fully immerse yourself in this spectacular area.
  • Maximize your time in the Alaska ports of call with Port Adventures, without a doubt the best way to plan your time ashore. Some of my favorites are riding the White Pass Rail, dog sledding on Mendenhall Glacier, taking a float plane to the beautiful Misty Fjords and enjoying the famous Butchart Gardens. (Remember, space is limited on our Port Adventures so be sure to plan ahead.)
  • Finally, don’t blink! Without a doubt you will miss something.

Thanks for welcoming me as a new author to the Disney Parks Blog. I look forward to welcoming you aboard the Disney Wonder for your adventure to the Great Land!

Read more about Disney cruises to Alaska in the posts below:

Filed: Disney Cruise Line

Molly on July 11th, 2012 at 4:52 pm

My husband and I are going on the last 2012 Alaskan cruise for his R&R. This will be a first time for both of us, first time on a cruise, and first time on a Disney cruise. We already have everything planned, and now it’s just the process of waiting for him to get home so we can have a great start to his leave! I cannot wait to sail!

Larry on July 11th, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Hi Jimmy! Welcome to the Disney Parks Blog! I work up to nine months each year in Antarctica so no Alaska cruising for me as a vacation just yet, but I will be on the Disney Wonder for the September 16th California Coast cruise. Looking forward to it and all the Pixar fun!! See you real soon!!

Kimberly from PA on July 11th, 2012 at 6:34 pm

If there is ever a free trip to Alaska on a Disney cruise I am there. It is a dream of my husbands to do an Alaska cruise and he knows I love Disney but money isn’t there.

Lori from CA on July 11th, 2012 at 6:35 pm

We were fortunate enough to sail with DCL in Alaska last August. All in the family agree that it was our favorite cruise to date. Jimmy you are SPOT on with some of your recommendations! We added on the ABD excursion package and were fortunate to do many great adventures, including flying in a helicopter to dog sledding in Juneau, have a crab feed in Skagway and head into the Yukon and visit Jewel Gardens while in Ketchican. The best part of our trip was Tracy Arm. We loved being on our deck as we sailed into the narrow passage. Amazing trip with an amazing crew!! This was a cruise I would do again in a heartbeat!!

Kyra on July 11th, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Welcome, Jimmy.

Bradley from Western Australia on July 11th, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I think I can safely say that this is the best thing I’ve read in all the years I’ve followed the Disney blog!

An Alaskan cruise sounds magical!

Skip from FL on July 11th, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Welcome to the blog Mr. Jimmy!

Ellen on July 11th, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Let’s see… today is Wednesday, so you must have been enjoying another Tracy Arm day! An Alaska cruise was one of my dad’s major dream vacations, and my parents and I got to fulfill that dream just last month! We saw you many an evening at the Walt Disney Theatre! We all absolutely loved the entire experience. We participated in the Best of Skagway, Mendenhall Glacier Explorer and Mount Roberts Tramway, and Disney Exclusive Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show Port Adventures, enjoyed the magnificence of Tracy Arm from on deck as well as from our high tea at Palo, and also really loved the naturalist presentations by Doug Jones. There were so many great moments, and I commend you for being a fantastic cruise director! The entire trip was wonderful, even up through the disembarking process, where I was thinking about how much I laughed during your video of disembarkation tips. :) Have fun in Skagway tomorrow!

Kimberly from IL on July 12th, 2012 at 1:00 am

Wow! This is great! I hope you read these comments, because my sisters, cousin, & friend are sailing with you right now! Please tell Sherri, Kathy, Gail, & Carla (aka the “Hush & Lo Girls”) that I miss them!! I am very jealous that they got to go, but I’m glad that they are getting to see & experience Alaska. I have sailed on the Wonder and the Magic several times and hope to let my husband & 2 1/2 year old daughter share in the joy that Disney gives me. DCL is top notch!!!

Mary from NY on July 12th, 2012 at 11:00 am

Hi Jimmy
Thank you for your wonderful insight on the Alaskan Cruise. We will be on the Wonder on August 27th and can’t wait to see all that Alaska has to offer. This is our third trip with Disney (second time on the Wonder). Looking forward to seeing you and experiencing all Disney Alaska has to offer.

Susan from CA on July 12th, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Hi Jimmy!

My husband and I will join you on Sept. 3rd! We honeymooned on The Big Red Boat. Then we took the kids years later on the Wonder to the Bahamas. Loved every minute of it. This is a combined birthday trip for us. (he’s turning 50, shhh ;) We are still deciding what shore excursions to take for Alaska. Thanks for the tips. See you soon!

Shaun from CA on July 12th, 2012 at 3:07 pm

My wife, daughter and I really enjoyed the 7 night cruise back in March to the Mexican Rivera. We will be on the Wonder again for the transitional cruise in 2013 but SO want to take the Alaska cruise; it will happen because of our DVC membership – no sales pitch here, if you enjoy all things Disney, it is SO worth the cost and you can really do so many things that would cost so much more to pay for independently. Thanks for all the fun Jimmy!

Amber from AB on July 13th, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Man I would so love to work on a cruise ship! That would be amazing :D

Elaine from NY on July 15th, 2012 at 7:34 am

Welcome to the blog! We are leaving today to take the July 16th cruise with you! We cruised for the first time last August on the Dream and fell in love with cruising. We spent 22 years in the Air Force always hoping for an assignment to Alaska but it never happened. Tomorrow we will make that dream come true! Your tips made us feel good as we are going on the railroad and on the floatplane trip that you mentioned. Living in central NY has hopefully prepared us for the Alaskan weather as you well know from living in Scranton. See you soon!

Lisa on July 15th, 2012 at 9:02 am

Loved all of your recommendations. I am cruising with my daughter on the 13th of August. She is a main stage performer. Can’t wait to come and meet all the wonderful people she talks about, and see all the wonderful sites. She did tell me to bring layers, but the beauty of the scenery definitely makes the possibility of some rain negligible.

Robin on July 16th, 2012 at 8:06 am

We will be on the Disney Wonder on the last Alaskan cruise of the season! My husband and I are both retired Texas high school teachers, and we are so excited about this trip! With the temperatures around 100 degrees every day, September can’t get here soon enough! We will be looking forward to seeing you, Jimmy!!

Donna on July 17th, 2012 at 12:18 pm

We are sailing on the 20th of August…CANNOT WAIT!!!! With our 4 year old grandson. So we are counting the days with him (and ourselves) and sooooooo looking forward to going. And reading the wonderful remarks made about the cruises since this will be our first….

Donna on July 18th, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I NEED to know if there is a formal dinner evening on the cruise. My husband REFUSES to aknowledge that this might happen. So I need to know so I can have appropriate clothing for him and Jayden.

Chris on July 18th, 2012 at 3:54 pm

It’s not that I want to go on a Disney Cruise, it’s that I NEED to go on a Disney Cruise!

Robin on July 18th, 2012 at 4:40 pm

We loved the Disney Cruise to Alaska. We went just about a month ago on June 25th. I miss it already and have already looked up some more Disney Cruises for future vacation (will take me a while to save up again though). Alaska was fanastic. It was our first cruise ever and to do it Disney was worth it. Jimmy we loved all the entertainment. I have a great photo of you with my kids.

Elizabeth from VA on July 19th, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Thank you for all of the tips (I will be sure to pack layers for everyone)! The pictures you posted are incredible. We will be sailing with you on the Wonder on the 8/13 cruise. I hope the rumor is true that the Kids Clubs are moved to one of the top decks during Tracy Arm so that they can view the glaciers while playing with the counselors? If so, my eight year old twins would love that!

Bruce on August 2nd, 2012 at 10:35 am

Jimmy, just want to thank you again for another great cruise on the Wonder. The weather in Alaska was perfect and we give you all the credit. Well, maybe a little credit to the Captain. Smooth sailing!