The American Idol Experience at Disney's Hollywood Studios

New Wooden Toys Add Nostalgia To Disney Parks

posted on July 24th, 2012 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

New Wooden Blocks Available at Disney Parks

As a child, I loved playing with wooden blocks that my grandfather made by hand. I would stack them just to see how far I could get before they fell over. They were one of my favorite toys, and now my son plays with those same blocks on occasion. In this time of technological toy wonders that fill my children’s rooms, I think wood toys are some of the most classic toys around. Recently, Disney Theme Park Merchandise partnered with Melissa & Doug, a company who has made wood toys for 24 years, to create three unique items especially for Disney Parks. Cody Hampton, Associate Developer for toys and games, gave me some additional insight into the development.

New Wooden Blocks Available at Disney Parks

“We’ve been working on the wood toys for about three years,” explained Cody. “Wood toys are nostalgic, so we thought they would complement our overall toy assortment very well.”

Disney Design Group artists Quynh Kimball and Mike Sullivan co-designed the artwork for the blocks. There are 30 blocks in a tray with wheels. Each block has a letter, number and a Disney Parks icon or character. The blocks can also be used to create a puzzle that matches a Mickey Mouse image printed on the block cart.

Wooden Stacking Train Available at Disney Parks

I like the stacking train designed by Quynh due to the long history that trains have played at Disney Parks (Cody said that was an intentional choice). I know the train is designed for kids, but I couldn’t resist playing with it while taking pictures (clearly, I had fun with the blocks too – some things never change).

Minnie Mouse Magnetic Dress Up Set Coming to Disney Parks

One final item arriving in the coming months will be a Minnie Mouse magnetic dress up set. This kit has a wooden doll, a stand and 33 mix-and-match magnetic pieces. This time, Quynh worked with artist Cody Reynolds to design the interchangeable Disney princess dresses (which include Cinderella, Aurora, Belle and Tiana). Minnie Mouse also has a few outfits.

Look for these items at select locations at Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort. I recently found the blocks and stacking train at Once Upon A Toy located in the Downtown Disney Marketplace.

Do you recall your first toy?

Check out these other posts about toys at Disney Parks:

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Danielle on July 24th, 2012 at 2:54 pm

And I was just starting to think, “What should I get my daughter for her 2nd birthday and Christmas?” Thanks!

Steven Miller on July 24th, 2012 at 5:34 pm

@Danielle – You’re welcome. I hope she has a wonderful birthday!

Jaime on July 24th, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I LOVE these toys! My fav is the Minnie dress up doll. So Cute! Hopefully my 4 year old isn’t too old for it. If so I will just have to play with it myself. :)

Sean from GA on July 24th, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Love the look of classic toys. Awwwww

Lisa on July 24th, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Oh my gosh, I LOVE the blocks! I have recently been looking for unique wooden alphabet blocks for our future child and these are PERFECT! I’ll be visiting WDW in November, but if I can’t wait until then, do you know if the blocks will be available online at the Disney Store? Thank you! I love your updates–you bring us Disney fans some of the coolest news!!!

Jennifer on July 24th, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I love the new wooden toys! I especially love the tiki room design on the wooden blocks and chip n dale on the blocks on the train set!

Steven Miller on July 24th, 2012 at 5:38 pm

@Lisa – I’m glad you like them. I’m checking with the Disney Parks online store team to see if they will be carried online. More to come. And thank you for reading the blog!

@Jennifer – Yep, that was done on purpose. I heart the Enchanted Tiki Room!!

Catherine from CA on July 24th, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I used to play with Tinker Toys for hours. I’m getting the wooden block. They are great!

Christine on July 24th, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Love the blocks! Hope to pick them up during our trip out there next month. :)

William on July 24th, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I think these look great and encourage you to do more. Pop-guns, yo-yos, the whole bit. This is because wood toys like this are durable. They hold up. Sometimes you kinda wonder if things you buy will survive the trip home. These have a certain “quality” about them.

Elizabeth from MI on July 24th, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I love these toys too, I hope you can gt them at the Disney store. I have baskets to make for a Relay for Life silent auction and these items would be real eye catchers!

Linda from CA on July 24th, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I think I’m going to be buying that train, even though it may be just for my own enjoyment. : )

Nicole on July 24th, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Oh my! Love these! Disney is really pulling out some great new products! We just had our first granddaughter so all of these will be under the tree for her! Even though the Minnie Mouse dress up will have to go on the shelf( or her mom & I will be playing with it! ) it will be great collection piece. Steve, thanks so much for showing all of these great new things!

robert on July 24th, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Very cool…may get a set of the blocks and of the train…looks like it would be a fun display item

Steve on July 25th, 2012 at 7:22 am

Are these toys made in the U.S.A.?

Jason from NY on July 25th, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Hello Steve,

First time on this blog, and not to repeat the last post, but am I curious as well to know where these toys were made/painted, as a concerned parent who would love to “ask Santa” to deliver these toys to my daughter on Christmas morning. Thanks in advance for you kind response.

Steven Miller on July 25th, 2012 at 3:04 pm

@Elizabeth – I do have another option for you since I’m unsure at this time when/if the online store carry these items.

You can contact Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Merchandise Guest Services at 1-877-560-6477 or via email – merchandiseguestservices@disney.go.com

Reference the following item numbers:

Train – 400006455475
Block Cart – 400006277695

The Minnie Mouse dress up set won’t arrive until sometime during the fall.

@Nicole – You are welcome. Thank you for the kind words. I enjoy sharing these things via the Disney Parks Blog as I get just as exciting seeing these great things.

@Steve (great name!) & Jason – I spoke with our development team. They shared that Melissa and Doug is a US-based company, headquartered in Wilton, CT. They have been developing wooden toys for about 24 years (which is one reason why the toy team wanted to partner with them – long history of creating safe, quality products). These particular items I discussed are manufactured in China.

Tracy from MA on July 25th, 2012 at 9:58 pm

oh great… there goes my pay check!!! we are going to Disney in November with my nephew Elliott for the first time. well his first time.. he will be 1 and a half… and i wont be able to resist.. GREAT!

Stephen on July 26th, 2012 at 9:59 am

I notice that Figment is shown on one of the blocks in the Block Cart – 400006277695. Is Figment also pictured on the Train Set – 400006455475 ? Any other new Figment sightings? Thanks!!