Paradise Pier at Disney California Adventure Park

Scaling the Majestic Matterhorn at Disneyland Park

posted on July 6th, 2012 by Shawn Slater, Communications Manager, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Creative Entertainment

Mountain climbers have returned to the icy slopes of the majestic Matterhorn at Disneyland park this summer, continuing a tradition begun in the earliest days of the attraction. Our experienced team of climbers makes safety a top priority, and they’re able to have a little fun up there, too. In this video, Technical Director Mike Layman and the climbers themselves give us a unique perspective on this only-in-Disneyland experience.

The video also offers a glimpse of Alpine musician Happy Hans and his son, who were on hand for the grand reopening of the Matterhorn Bobsleds on June 15. While that was a one-day special appearance, you can enjoy the sight of the climbers on the mountain every day through Labor Day.

Check out these posts for more news from Disneyland park:

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Behind the Scenes, Disney History, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

12 Comments 1 Reply

Rina from TX on July 6th, 2012 at 6:45 pm

another ride I want at WDW – I think it would be great at AK

Sonia on July 6th, 2012 at 7:03 pm

It’s so cool to have this piece of Disney history back for younger generations to experience! I remember sitting at the Plaza Inn with my daughter and thinking the Matterhorn climbers were just the coolest! My number one question is: will we see Mickey and his friends on the mountain any time soon? I remember seeing him up there with Minnie and Goofy a few years ago and it was just the coolest thing that I’d love for my niece to see when we take her for the first time.

Shawn Slater on July 8th, 2012 at 8:57 am

Sonia, while Mickey Mouse and other Disney characters have appeared on the Matterhorn in the past, this summer they’re keeping busy greeting all their Guests across the Disneyland Resort and performing in new shows like Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree, Minnie’s Fly Girls Charter Airline and “Instant Concert! … just add water” starring Goofy. Mickey and the gang are leaving the mountain climbing to the pros, and it’s really cool to watch them up there. Try yodeling in their direction. The climbers may just yodel back at you!

Iris from MI on July 6th, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Heehee, I love the musicians on the Matterhorn as much as the climbers. How fun.

Mark on July 6th, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I think it would be great to climb Everest in Animal Kingdom!

Mitchell from IL on July 6th, 2012 at 10:42 pm

This was the job I always wanted growing up. Climbing and Disney combined in one job!

Katie from WI on July 7th, 2012 at 8:13 am

One of my favorite from DLR! I do wish we had it at WDW, however Everest is a much better version, but I always ride it when I get to Disneyland because there’s so many memories associated with it. Perhaps a re-themed version could go in Epcot in the World Showcase?

Jim from OR on July 7th, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Seeing this made me look at the photos I took during the 50th Anniversary celebration of Mickey, Minnie and Goofy all on the Matterhorn. Mickey carried the numbers 5 and 0 up to the top, Minnie and Goofy had the gold key…good memories of a wonderful time.

Padraig on July 7th, 2012 at 7:48 pm

My teacher used to be a climber

David-Michael from ON on July 8th, 2012 at 1:36 pm

With the forced perspective that’s used on the mountain, wouldn’t the climbers just look bigger and bigger as they approached the top? Just curious.

Joseph on July 9th, 2012 at 7:32 am

I was at Disneyland last week and we saw an Elvis tribute concert.
Who were those guys and do they tour? I would love to see them again, they were amazing!

Bethany on July 9th, 2012 at 2:47 pm

COOL! Disney, I think you need a girl climber on the crew though. I volunteer. I can pack my gear up and be there tomorrow. :-)

Kyra on July 11th, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I think it would be fun to do that- looking over Disneyland all day. Do you take female climbers?