Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland Park

The Disney Gallery: A Hidden Treasure Celebrates 25 Years at Disneyland Park

posted on July 11th, 2012 by Michelle Harker, Manager, Merchandise Marketing & Communications, Disneyland Resort

It’s hard to believe that 25 years ago today, on July 11, The Disney Gallery first opened its doors as a home to many of us at Disneyland park.
The Disney Gallery at Disneyland Park Celebrates 25 Years

For the first 20 years, this location sat high above Pirates of the Caribbean in New Orleans Square, tucked away from the world below, a hidden treasure waiting to be discovered by passersby. A place conceptually designed as Walt Disney’s Royal Suite, where he could entertain and host notable public figures and family, the location became a home to numerous exhibits that lined the walls and rooms, filled with conceptual artwork that captured our imaginations and told countless stories over the years. And of course, it’s been home to many generations of great Disney artists, Imagineers and Disney Legends who stopped by for a visit many a time, meeting many of you, our Disney fans.
The Disney Gallery at Disneyland Park Celebrates 25 Years

Taking a brief hiatus in 2007 from its original location, The Disney Gallery reopened in 2009, becoming one of the first welcoming locations you encounter when entering Main Street, U.S.A.

In its current home, The Disney Gallery continues the tradition of great storytelling through frequently changing exhibits, such as the current installation, Crowning Achievements ~ Creating Castles for Magical Kingdoms.

The Disney Gallery has been my home away from home, so I welcome you to make it yours, too!

Read more news from Disneyland park in the posts below:

Filed: Disney History, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Patricia on July 11th, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Are there any pieces by Imagineer John H. currently on display?

Michelle Harker on July 11th, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Patricia,
The current exhibit actually features conceptual artwork and renderings by Disney Legends, Walt Disney Imagineers and artists, such as Herb Ryman, Frank Armitage, Dorothea Redmond, Kim Irvine among many others, but no John Hench. But as you know the exhibits transition a couple times a year, so certainly continue to visit as new exhibits and art are added.

Crystal on July 11th, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I miss being able to visit the original Disney gallery above Pirates so much. It was one of my favorite spots to go and take in the beautiful artwork and I especially LOVED sitting on the terrace watching the hustle and bustle below and the beauty of the Rivers of America. It makes me sad to look up there now, knowing it just sits empty.

Will there be any more contests to stay in the Dream Suite?

Matthew from CA on July 11th, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I really did like the Gallery when it was open to guests in that lovely space above Pirates of the Caribbean. Now it’s closed off as the Disney Dream Suite – is anyone using it nowadays?

Joslyn on July 11th, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I too miss the old location of the Disney Gallery. It was a special place to visit.

Sean on July 11th, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I cant wait to go back to Disneyland and see the Galley again! Its motivation for me to keep pushing for my goals

Michelle Harker on July 11th, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Sean, I hope you are able to visit and see the current exhibit. It really is a jewel. I think you’ll like it.

Brian on July 11th, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I love the Gallery! I just saw the Railroad Locomotives exhibit. I’m glad I caught it when I was there. (just on the way out, right before the park closed)
Excellent detail and beautiful illustrations!

Fred from CA on July 11th, 2012 at 2:45 pm

It was nice when the Disney Gallery was above Pirates of the Caribbean, but I’m just glad that its back, and Main Street is a really good location for it. :)

Sarah on July 11th, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Looking forward to seeing the Disney Castles exhibit at the Disney Gallery when we visit in September. The gallery truly is a gem and somewhat overlooked by guests, in my opinion, which is a mistake. It’s a calm, quiet place to escape the hustle and bustle of the park and learn a little something and enrich your mind a bit while you’re there having fun.

Cheryl on July 11th, 2012 at 5:29 pm

How long will the Castle exhibit be on display? I am hoping it will still be there when we visit again at the end of November. (We were there recently, and missed the opening by two days.)

David on July 12th, 2012 at 2:32 am

I miss the old location – it was like a secret hideout peering down on the bustling masses. We often times could go in and be the only ones there with the shopkeeper. What was even better was being let in on one of the best kept secrets at Disneyland. Outside on the balcony, there were four or five tables. The Shop Keeper for whatever reason, let me and my family in on a very well kept secret. You could buy for $25, a seat on the balcony seving dessert and watch Fantasmic from the best seats in the house overlooking the Rivers of America. This is where Walt would have watched Fantasmic! There couldn’t have been more than about 20 or so seats.And I got to sit there on several occasions – way cool. I’ve heard of and seen that cast members can win a balcony night, and I suspect that Club 33 members might have access as well.
They’ve setup a simular dessert concept now down close to the River’s- but it’s not the same. Those are some of my fondest memories in my 46 years of visiting the Happiest Place on Earth!!

Dave on July 12th, 2012 at 3:33 am

I LOVE the photos and history of the Gallery on the Walt’s Apartment page

Brian on July 12th, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Michelle: would it be possible for you to have some kind of archive of photos from exhibits at the Gallery? here’s one I found of the Disney Trains

it would be great to have one place to go to for this!
?

Brian on July 13th, 2012 at 12:11 pm

you didn’t post the link.

BRIAN and KAREN from CA on July 13th, 2012 at 5:06 pm

The Disney Gallery, how we miss you in the space above Pirates. The patio was a great place to take a break from the hustle and bustle of a day at Disneyland. It was quite and tranquil. And being able to watch Fantasmic! from the balcony, was extra special. So special that I surprised my wife for our 5 year wedding annniversary and bought the balcony for a showing of Fantasmic!. And with the help of CM Martha B. (thanks again Martha), arranged a romantic dessert for two. So you can say that we have a soft spot in our hearts for the old Disney Galllery location.