Cars Land at Disney California Adventure park

Behind the Scenes: Meet the Puppeteers at ‘Finding Nemo – The Musical’ at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

posted on August 23rd, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Have you seen “Finding Nemo – The Musical” at Disney’s Animal Kingdom?

It’s an absolute must-do for my family whenever we visit the park. I love the show’s original songs, and especially the ingenious puppets created by Michael Curry. The show uses a Japanese style of puppetry called bunraku, in which the puppeteer’s body becomes a part of the puppet, and puppets in this show range from the size of your hand to the size of a small car.

I recently was able to go behind the scenes at the show to meet two of the show’s puppeteers, Jennifer and Robby, to learn more.

Check out these posts for more from Disney’s Animal Kingdom:

Tagged: , , , ,

Filed: Behind the Scenes, Disney's Animal Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Sean from GA on August 23rd, 2012 at 2:58 pm

It’s at the top of our list as well. Such an amazing show, the Puppeteers do an amazing job each and every time we see it. Great energy throughout the show! Thanks for giving us a peek behind the curtain!

Kyra on August 23rd, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I love how the puppeteers are visible. You never seem them out and about in any other show.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on August 23rd, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I like it too, their facial expressions and movements really add to the character. :)

Benjamin from MN on August 23rd, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Loved this show when I saw it at Animal Kingdom. I wish they would extend it to a full length Broadway Show!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on August 23rd, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I seriously love the songs in this show. So clever.

Ryan on August 23rd, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Absolutely loved this show when we visited for the first time last year. Returned to see it multiple times. It is such a great Disney Parks musical, with songs we had stuck in our heads many months later.
We’ll be back later this year — and I’m sure we’ll see it once more!

Melanie on August 24th, 2012 at 10:00 am

It’s one of my absolute favorites to go and see. :D

Tiffany on August 24th, 2012 at 3:36 pm

My husband and I saw this during its soft opening in 2006 and instantly fell in love w/ it. We took our son on his 1st WDW trip in Dec. 2008 for his 1st birthday. Seeing that show as a parent gave it a whole new meaning and of course made me cry like a baby.