The American Idol Experience at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Collect, Wear or Share New Mini MousekeEars at Disney Parks This Fall

posted on August 31st, 2012 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

“New

Last fall, you may recall I discussed new Disney character-inspired ear hats. These hats kicked off unprecedented growth in 2012 for all things ear hat related, including the recently released Orange Bird ear hat at Magic Kingdom Park in Florida, to a new collection of resin holiday ornaments. As fall approaches, the ear hat team is shrinking several ear hats with the introduction of MousekeEars. These new collectible ear hats can fit into the palm of a hand. I spoke with product developer Megan Kachur about their creation.

“We have been working on the new MousekeEars for over a year,” Megan explained. “We wanted something guests could collect, share or wear. The ear hat is one of the most recognizable Disney Parks merchandise items so it seemed like a natural fit [laughs].”

“New

Long time Disney Design Group artist Mark Seppala used the artwork he created for last year’s full-size designs as a starting point.

“Our guests have told us how much they loved the character ear hats we released last year, so that seemed like a good place to start,” said Mark. “The first samples that arrived at our office were spot on; we didn’t need to make many modifications.”

“New

The first two MousekeEars collections will be introduced in October. One will contain Disney characters, including Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Pluto and Goofy, while the other collection will feature bright “pop color” hats. Additional designs, including country flags from World Showcase at Epcot, are planned for future release. Hats will be $12.95 each.

“Instructions

Disney artist Dave Keefer designed the window box packaging for MousekeEars, which resembles a stage (a great way to display the hats). Each hat also comes with a removable chin strap, key chain and hair clip (I smell instant Halloween costume).

Look for these hats this fall at select Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort locations. A selection will also be carried via the Disney Parks online store.

For more news about Disney Parks merchandise, check out the posts below:

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Jess on August 31st, 2012 at 11:34 am

You can’t say Disney doesn’t know their market…This is brilliant on their part. We all know Disney collectors can’t be stopped when it comes to collecting. This is clearly going to be the next pin/vinylmation craze. I for one love them and will probably have a hard time buying just one…

Nakoma from AZ on August 31st, 2012 at 11:35 am

Too Cute! Can’t wait to get one!

Teri on August 31st, 2012 at 11:39 am

Will these hats be embroider-able?

Steven Miller on September 4th, 2012 at 4:42 pm

@Teri – I asked the development team who said, “No, not at this point.” They would need to test first as the hats are significantly smaller than regular sized hats.

Colleen from TX on August 31st, 2012 at 11:44 am

Yay! A lime green one! All you need is the little fabric pink flower they used to put on top in the seventies and it would be perfect.

Jackie from WA on August 31st, 2012 at 11:51 am

These are about the CUTEST things on the planet!!! I haven’t gotten hooked on the Vinyls, but these are definitely going to get me! Oh boy…I’m going to need a new shelf for these!

Tarin from ON on August 31st, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Can’t wait for a Stitch one, Chesire Cat, Mad Hatter (Original or Johnny Depp :-) and hubby already wants the Donald one :-) YEAH!

Annette on August 31st, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I love mickey ears so naturally I love these. Do you have any news on the pirates of the caribbean iphone case??

Steven Miller on September 4th, 2012 at 4:44 pm

@Annette – I asked the D-Tech team who said that the phone case recently arrived at Disneyland and should be at Walt Disney World by now. They unfortunately weren’t able to carry it via the Disney Parks online store. Sorry.

Dana on August 31st, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Hi Steven :)

Thanks for the exciting news!!!! Love them!!!!

Now, by ANY chance (sorry if I missed it in the above) are they going to be Limited Edition???

Looking forward to the release, and by chance another question, will there be artist signings?

Thanks as always!!!

Dana – S FL

Steven Miller on September 4th, 2012 at 4:46 pm

@Dana – They are not limited edition and we do not have any plans for artist signing events at this time.

Tamela on August 31st, 2012 at 2:39 pm

This is the perfect accessory. I have many hats and more, but this will be comfortable with the Florida heat. I agree, it will be hard to stop with just one. If it is embroider-able that will take the cheese.

Don on August 31st, 2012 at 3:39 pm

GREAT Idea Steven! I am sure they will do really well!

Eric from MA on August 31st, 2012 at 5:05 pm

How many even remember the “Pop color” ears as coming from the old 70′s Mickey Mouse Club revival? :)
Am I the only one with pangs of pre-Space Mountain nostalgia?

Steven Miller on September 4th, 2012 at 4:47 pm

@Eric – I remember that! I still own a 33 1/2 long playing record featuring the Mickey Mouse Club from the 1970s sporting the hats. Such great memories :-)

Michael from AZ on August 31st, 2012 at 6:12 pm

There were Oswald the Lucky Rabbit hats at this year’s San Diego Comic Con (promoting this fall’s new Epic Mickey videogame). Any chance those might ever be available for purchase?

Lauren on August 31st, 2012 at 9:59 pm

These are really cute. I wasn’t sold on the idea though, until I saw that there was a hair clip option. My problem with the regular sized ear hats is that I never want to wear them with the regular chin strap, so these smaller ears will be perfect. Any chance we’ll get a Figment MousekeEar to match the regular sized one that came out last year?

Also, Steven, you mentioned that the Orange Bird ear hat (regular sized) was recently released. Do you know if there will be enough of these that were made to have them be for sale for a while? I won’t be in WDW until mid-September and I don’t want to miss out on the Orange Bird ear hat the way I missed out on the Orange Bird shirts earlier this year that sold out before I could get one. Any chance you could get me the SKU # for the ear hat if you think it won’t be around anymore by the time my trip comes? Thanks.

Steven Miller on September 5th, 2012 at 11:48 am

@Michael – Please stay tuned. I think you will be happy to hear some upcoming news :-)

@Lauren – I don’t believe Figment is part of the first wave of MousekeEars but you may see him in the future. As for the Orange Bird ear hat, there are quantities still remaining (as of September 5) at the Magic Kingdom. It’s difficult to say how long it will be in the assortment as that will be determined by Guest demand. But I know there are some remaining today.

The item number is 400006661524.

Trevor on August 31st, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Do we have an exact date yet? I really like these, and I’m visiting WDW for a week in 14 days, and would love to pick a few up. Any chance I can?

Steven Miller on September 5th, 2012 at 11:52 am

@Trevor – From my understanding, the hats are not due to arrive in the warehouse until October. They would be released shortly thereafter. Here are the item numbers if you are interested once they are officially released:

400006747600 – Mickey Mouse
400006747617 – Minnie Mouse
400006747624 – Donald Duck
400006747631 – Pluto
400006747655 – Goofy
400006747754 – Navy
400006747778 – Turquoise
400006747723 – Lime
400006747747 – Red
400006747761 – Pink
400006747730 – Purple

Alison on September 1st, 2012 at 1:25 am

And just like that, a new addiction is born! I can’t wait to collect these! I hope the Donald hat has the same protruding duck button that makes the large pair so funny and cute!

Alison on September 1st, 2012 at 1:26 am

Duck butt, not duck button. Although a duck butt button would be funny too!

Danielle on September 1st, 2012 at 8:16 am

I’m an ‘ear’ fanatic. So these new ears really make my day. The collector in me does a little dance. Now, all I need is to see the Glow with the Show ears ALSO at WDW, and I will be over the moon. :)

Danielle on September 1st, 2012 at 8:18 am

Eric, totally remember pop color ears. I had some as a young child. Would love to see “the 70′s era MMC” color ears back for sale at the Parks one day in full size. Of course, happy to see them come back in this mini MouskeEars size.

Erin from RI on September 1st, 2012 at 8:22 am

Can you get us a photo of someone actually wearing one of these hats Steven? I would love to see them on so I can fully grasp their potential as wearable art! Thanks!

Katie on September 1st, 2012 at 11:13 am

I have never been so excited for a piece of merchandise! I can’t wait!!

Katie on September 1st, 2012 at 11:15 am

Also, LAUREN – I cut the strap off the regular hats and use bobby pins to keep it in my head! Works great!!

Steven Miller on September 5th, 2012 at 11:54 am

@Erin – That was one of my original ideas for this article – to have me wear one. Yet I thought me holding the hat in my hands would give a better idea of scale (and worked better for the story). I’ll see if there is another way to incorporate that kind of image somewhere else :-)

@Katie – How wonderful to hear! And thanks for the tip.

Michael from NY on September 3rd, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Hey Steven,
Will these be available with the DisneyStore (US)? Do you know of a release date? These are too cute. I have to have them :)

Steven Miller on September 5th, 2012 at 12:13 pm

@Michael – I checked with the online store team who said that they will release the character MousekeEars in November.

Elaine from PA on September 4th, 2012 at 9:51 am

I sure hope these aren’t limited edition so I can pick up a few in December. I love ears! I’ve already purchased a few of the ornaments that are limited. I’ve got to get the Donald Duck one. And Mickey. And Minnie……… These are too cute.

Jennifer on September 4th, 2012 at 10:15 am

These are so adorable! I’m thinking I’ll be needing one for my next Run Disney race!

Steven Miller on September 5th, 2012 at 11:56 am

@Jennifer – I was at the Disneyland Half Marathon this past weekend and saw a few runners wearing full-size hats. I’m guessing come January that these mini-hats will be on several runners for the Walt Disney World Marathon. Great idea!

Michelle on September 4th, 2012 at 12:31 pm

These are SO cute! They also look like they’d be the perfect size for a child’s doll or stuffed animal!

Holly on September 4th, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Squee! These are so cute. Can’t wait to see the other fall non-ear hats too.

Jesse on September 5th, 2012 at 2:29 pm

THE 70s MMC mini mousekeEars can sell out very quick. big october for disney but a mouseke-october for the mouseketeers! hope u give us updates for that big month!

Daniel on September 8th, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Any chance these fit 9″ vinylmation perfectly? :)

Kinsey on September 10th, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Oh my goodness!!! So excited!!!
I will be going to Disneyland in October and LOVE all things ear hat related! But do you know which Disneyland locations?