'World of Color' at Disney California Adventure Park

Disney Parks After Dark: The Big Drop at Splash Mountain at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on August 9th, 2012 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

If you’re a Splash Mountain fan, you know the moment captured in this week’s “Disney Parks After Dark” photo series. That’s the big-drop gasp!

The Big Drop at Splash Mountain at Magic Kingdom Park

And in those first seconds before splashdown into Br’er Rabbit’s pond, an adrenaline rush is expected. Notice the rider covering her face. But it’s certainly best to keep both eyes open on this Magic Kingdom Park attraction at night to see some spectacular views of the park and Cinderella Castle.

Is this your favorite attraction to ride when the sun goes down? Let us know in the comments.

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Kyra on August 9th, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I love the Imagination Pavilion and Spaceship Earth during Extra Magic Hours. Both are indoor rides, but there is absolutely no wait, and they’re so much more magical. And it’s always cool coming outside to a dark, empty park. I love the lights in the sidewalk in Epcot!

Joshua on August 9th, 2012 at 8:29 pm

When it’s that humid in Florida, I’ll ride splash mountain as many times possible! Especially since they after After-Hours admission to Resort Guests :)

Matthew on August 9th, 2012 at 8:32 pm

This is my favorite ride anytime, but when the sun goes down is nice too. Especially during the fireworks

David from CA on August 9th, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Nothing can top the beauty of Radiator Springs Racers at night

Sara from IL on August 9th, 2012 at 9:31 pm

120 days and I’ll be that rider covering her face and loving it! :)

Jessica on August 9th, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I, too, love the view from Splash Mountain when the sun goes down! Thunder Mountain and Dumbo are my favorite at night though.

Chris on August 9th, 2012 at 11:07 pm

OK So what settings did you use for this shot? Been trying to get something similar but haven’t had as much luck myself yet…

Brandon on August 10th, 2012 at 4:18 am

After the sun goes down my favorites are Matterhorn for great views of Disneyland, and Big Thunder for atmosphere!

Amanda on August 10th, 2012 at 6:16 am

That is an amazing picture! One of my favorite Disney memories was as a child riding Splash Mountain at night as the fireworks were going off with my Granddaddy.

Kelly on August 10th, 2012 at 7:35 am

My favorite any time!!!

Danielle on August 10th, 2012 at 9:08 am

Nice shot. Can I ask what camera you use? My favorite ride at night is Big Thunder. It is a whole other experience at night. Would love to be able to ride Everest in the dark too.

Judson on August 10th, 2012 at 9:35 am

Big Thunder Mountain is awesome at night! One time in ’98 my Brother-in-Law rode it 5 times in a row while the fireworks were going on – no lines!

Joshua on August 10th, 2012 at 9:38 am

Every ride (even indoor ones, strangely) is generally better at night. Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, The Haunted Mansion, and Pirates of the Caribbean are tops. I’m hoping to try The Jungle Cruise at night later this Fall.

Otto on August 10th, 2012 at 9:48 am

I love, love, love, love to ride Tomorrowland Transit Authority at night (and during the day to). At night the lights and sights are even more magical!

Aaron on August 10th, 2012 at 10:26 am

Future world in Epcot at night is a place I could exist for all eternity.

Katie from WI on August 10th, 2012 at 10:48 am

My favorite attractions to ride at night are Jungle Cruise, Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Thunder Mountain, and Tower of Terror!

Jill on August 10th, 2012 at 11:24 am

This may seem odd, but we always make it a point to ride the Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover (or blue line or WEDWay Peoplemover..lol). We love the nighttime view from there! That said, Big Thunder and Splash are favorites too!

Belinda from NE on August 10th, 2012 at 11:39 am

The Jungle Cruise is really fun after dark! I also love the TTA!

jennifer on August 10th, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I love splash mountain for a whole different reason. We have the most wonderful picture of our son at 7 years old. While everyone else has their mouth wide-open, in full scream…he has the biggest smile on his face!!

Ilona on August 11th, 2012 at 2:04 am

yeah it is cool.

Ilona on August 11th, 2012 at 2:05 am

also big thunder mt. rr.

Branden on August 12th, 2012 at 1:01 am

There was once a alligator in the water at splash mountain but it is a great ride with a awesome view of the castle. Plus if you stare at the castle going down the big drop you wont even realize your falling.

Terry from PA on August 14th, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Funny story… the first couple of trips to the Magic Kingdom I didn’t ride Splash Mountain. I looked and thought that I wouldn’t ride it because I figured that it was just going to be a regular log flume ride and I didn’t want to walk around wet all day.

I watched a WDW DVD that kept showing this elaborate showboat filled with singing animals and I thought ‘whoa! Is that insaide of that mountain?’

So next time I rode it and loved it! You don’t get that wet on it and its a great ride. Sometimes you have to ignore your preconceived notions and just enjoy yourself, especially at Disney World.

Tommye on August 27th, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Gorgeous picture. Breathtaking color.

Jacqueline on August 27th, 2012 at 7:57 pm

I did this when I went with my friends last year! That was amazing! We went for the Extra Magic Hours and we had prime spots for the fireworks during both showings. The first time we were on the PeopleMover so we sat back in our seats and watched a beautifully clear show. Then we went over to Splash Mountain and just as we were climbing to the top the show started. There was literally no one else on line or in the log with us and I swear the guy stopped the ride for a bit. We stayed up at the top and just as it was coming to a close we dropped!