Halloween at the Walt Disney World Resort

‘Glow With the Show’ Ears Technology at Disney California Adventure Park Revealed

posted on August 3rd, 2012 by Erin Glover, Social Media Director, Disneyland Resort

For weeks, Disney California Adventure park guests have marveled at the new “Glow With the Show” Ears, which magically interact with “World of Color,” Mad T Party and other areas of the park. The technology behind the ears has been a mystery, until now! Check out the video below to learn how these new ears work their magic.

Tagged: , , , ,

Filed: Behind the Scenes, Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort

Brian on August 3rd, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Looks amazing. I hope they have something like this at WDW soon.

William on August 3rd, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what type of signal you used for the ears. Congrats to your engineers for coming up such a nice device!

Brian on August 3rd, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Hurry up add it to Fantasmic and the Fireworks at DL! And maybe to MMY!

Dinah on August 3rd, 2012 at 2:41 pm

WoC is an amazing show made even more astounding with these ears. Great innovation, wow!

Eddie on August 3rd, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Amazing! I’d love to see something like this happen at WDW. Illuminations is being updated, I think I see an oppertunity there.

Joseph on August 3rd, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I can see this technology happening with the WDW MK Castle show!! This is truly awesome!

Robert on August 3rd, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I think I wasn’t in one of the 40 zones because my ears wouldn’t sync with the show the other day

Erin Glover on August 6th, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Robert – That has happened to me as well from time to time. I’ve found that if I turn them off and back on, they will sync up.

Matt on August 3rd, 2012 at 5:31 pm

What is the name of this song?!

Shaun from IL on August 3rd, 2012 at 11:25 pm

WDW doesn’t have a single show that compares to how amazing World of Color is, in my opinion. I’ve been to WDW 19x and DL just once, last summer, and WOC just blew me away! Maybe Animal Kingdom should do this since it’s water, lasers and music. °o°

Fred from CA on August 4th, 2012 at 1:24 am

These Glow with the Show ears are such a cool idea.

I think slowly but surely they will catch on with the more casual guests.

Carol on August 4th, 2012 at 10:29 am

That is amazing! I can’t wait to to check it out!

Adam on August 4th, 2012 at 11:58 am

Will these ears still be around come late Sept.? I know you can get passholder packages through early Sept, but does that mean the ears will be going away for purchase? If so can you buy now if you don’t live near DLR?

Erin Glover on August 6th, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Adam – There is no planned end date for the “Glow With the Show” Ears, so you should be able to grab a pair during your next visit.

Shae on August 4th, 2012 at 4:15 pm

This is such an amazing video and idea! I wish Walt Disney World can have this for one of their shows!

Shaunnon from GA on August 5th, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Surprised to see it’s based on infrared. I guessed RFID chips. Still, it’s amazing. Heck, these things could be activated remotely, say through a Disney channel show to glow in sync with the tv.

As for WDW, the number of ways this could be used is astounding. Almost every show in the World could be hooked into the system, with a WOC show built to surround the Tree of Life in AK. “Rivers of Light” anyone? Mood lighting in its a small world, pale lights in Haunted Mansion, Illuminations: Reflections of Earth synced to the fireworks… the list just goes on and on and on.

And ears are probably just the beginning. Wristbands, belts, backpacks… heck, Tron costumes. You’re Imagineers, and the best in the business. You’ve been handed the keys to a very versatile technology. Push that envelope with it!

Janet on August 6th, 2012 at 1:00 pm

from a distance it looks cool, but standing in the crowd I may find it distracting from the show, I guess I will see in Dec……

Brian on August 6th, 2012 at 7:20 pm

@Janet Talking from experance the ears cause the show to be more magical. At times you look more at the ears than the show.

Michael from CA on August 6th, 2012 at 8:53 pm

They can also turn off your ears. When we went on the Little Mermaid ride, our ears turned off just after we boarded the shells. :-)

Alan on August 7th, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I’m amazed that its powered by IR, when I bought my ears they seemed like they functioned on a wireless frequency. Where are the IR beams being transmitted from. Also this means that it will be a whole lot easier for me to figure out how to control my set of ears while at home.

Terry from PA on August 7th, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I’ve never been to Disneyland but I have to say that the World of Color show looks absolutely amazing! I would love to see that in person. The light up mouse hats are really cool too and add a lot to the show, while drawing everyone into it personally.

This is the sort of thing that makes Disney parks so much better than any other parks. The technology and innovation draw you in but then there’s the emotional pull of the stories, rides and show that makes you fall in love with them. I can’t wait to go back to WDW again but I’d love to go to DL and see this too.

Brandon on August 9th, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Coldplay has been using similar technology on their current arena tour…. Every person who comes to the show gets a wrist band that lights up and is synchronized with the bands music and stage lighting…. Seeing 20,000 people with these was pretty amazing……

ken on August 11th, 2012 at 11:08 am

How much do they cost and can i get them outside of the DL park?

Erin Glover on August 14th, 2012 at 12:41 pm

The “Glow With the Show” Ears are $25 and can be purchased throughout Disney California Adventure park (and soon they will be available in Disneyland park).

Claire on August 12th, 2012 at 12:54 pm

These would be amazing in WDW would be amazing with ousbourne family lights .

Gret from BC on August 12th, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I have to admit that I’m kind of thinking along the sames lines as Janet (posted on Aug 6th). I think it looks totally amazing on the video clips but I’m a very short person… I’m not sure it would be such a perfect view from a lower angle when all you can see are lit up Mickey ears… I think I would find it distracting :-(

Louis from Hainaut on August 23rd, 2012 at 5:05 am

There should be reserved viewing for Glow with the Show owners …. it would boost adoption(and sales), and enhance the mass effect tht is needed to really make it appealing …