Sunset Over the Tree of Life at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Meet the Authors Behind ‘Poster Art of the Disney Parks’ on August 18 at The Disney Gallery in Disneyland Park

posted on August 6th, 2012 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

'Poster Art of Disney Parks' Features Attraction Posts and More from Disney Parks

A few months ago, I told you about a new book featuring attraction posters and more from Disney Parks. I’m happy to report that the book has finally arrived at select locations in both Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts. To celebrate the arrival, we are holding a special event on August 18 at The Disney Gallery located on Main Street, U.S.A., in Disneyland park. Guests will have the opportunity to meet Imagineers and book authors Vanessa Hunt and Danny Handke from 9 to 11 a.m. Tony Baxter, senior vice president of Creative Development for Walt Disney Imagineering, who wrote the book’s introduction, will be attending, along with some of the Imagineers and poster artists, such as Larry Nikolai and Will Eyerman who created some of the beautiful attraction posters featured in the book. In addition, we are honored and excited to share the news that Disney Legend and Retired Imagineer, Rolly Crump will also be joining in the festivities.

I asked Danny if he recalled any memorable stories from the writing process.

“One of my favorite stories is from Disney Legend Rolly Crump about his Flying Saucers attraction poster and Walt Disney’s take on it,” replied Danny. “I don’t want to give away the story, but it was really cool to have Rolly share a personal interaction with Walt for the book.”

Walt Disney Imagineer and 'Poster Art of the Disney Parks' Book Author Vanessa Hunt

Being a long time fan of Disney history, I can’t express how much I love this book. The colors are vibrant, which Vanessa explained was intentional.

“We wanted fans to see the posters as they were originally designed,” explained Vanessa. “In addition to the artwork files, the Walt Disney Imagineering Art Library provided Pantone color call-outs to the printer to ensure the colors matched the original posters. It was a long process but the end result was worth it!”

Vanessa also recalled a memorable moment.

“One memorable thing for me was discovering dozens of poster concepts by Disney Legend Sam McKim,” said Vanessa. “These Walt Disney World Resort poster concepts had not been seen by anyone in a very long time. Sam created about 16 different posters concepts for the Jungle Cruise in Florida. Six of those posters are featured on their own page in the book. He also created concept artwork for Tropical Serenade, America the Beautiful and Disney’s Polynesian Resort, just to name a few.”

If you are in California on August 18, I hope you are able to attend this event.

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Art of Disney, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Jon from CA on August 6th, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Cannot wait! What an awesome event!

Katie on August 6th, 2012 at 7:15 pm

This book looks amazing! I hope it will be available at WDW.

I do have a question for you about the Star Wars Celebration this year. Is there any exclusive Disney character action figures or Disney Racers being released? And is there any Disney Pins being released?

Steven Miller on August 7th, 2012 at 10:45 am

@Katie – I saw your question on other article. Sorry for the delay. Please stay tuned Please see this article: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/08/disney-parks-merchandise-to-attend-star-wars-celebration-vi-event-in-august-2012/

Christopher on August 6th, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Where in Disneyland is this great book available at? Thank you.

Steven Miller on August 7th, 2012 at 10:44 am

@Christopher – Here is a list of locations where the book is carried. Please note that availability is subject to change.

DISNEYLAND RESORT

Disneyland Park
- 20th Century Music Company – Main Street, U.S.A.
- Disneyana – Main Street, U.S.A.
- Disney Gallery – Main Street, U.S.A.

Disney California Adventure Park
- Off the Page

Downtown Disney District in California
- World of Disney

WALT DISNEY WORLD

Uptown Jewelers – Magic Kingdom Park
MouseGear – Epcot
The Writer’s Stop – Disney’s Hollywood Studios
Animation Gallery – Disney’s Hollywood Studios
World of Disney – Downtown Disney Marketplace
Once Upon a Toy – Downtown Disney Marketplace
Disney’s Wonderful World of Memories – Downtown Disney Marketplace

Shawn on August 6th, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Sounds like an awesome event. Wish I could be down there for it!

At least I have my copy of the book preordered! Looking forward to seeing it in September! Been waiting for a book like this.

Michelle on August 7th, 2012 at 9:24 am

Is there a way to buy this book online? I don’t know if I can wait until my trip to WDW in December to pick up a copy!

Steven Miller on August 7th, 2012 at 10:48 am

@Michelle – We are currently not offering the book via the Disney Parks online store. It will have a national market release in September, but it is currently available at Disney Parks before that date. However, look around and you may find it at other online stores for pre-order.

Ashley on August 7th, 2012 at 9:59 am

Hey Steven,

I know this is unrelated but have you ever heard anything about the release of the orange bird ear hats. I have gone several times to MK and no one seems to know anything about them, andI have eagerly been awaiting their release since your post. Thank you for your help!

Steven Miller on August 7th, 2012 at 10:57 am

@Ashley – Currently, the ear hats are due to arrive at the warehouse in September. I unfortunately don’t have a confirmed release date at this point. I am trying to identify one as I believe there will be interest (and I would like to avoid folks having to inquire multiple times about a date). As soon as I know more, I will share.

Jennifer on August 7th, 2012 at 10:56 am

Im so excited for this book! I have been waiting for it to come out ever since you first told us about it. What makes it even better is that my birthday trip to Disneyland falls right on that Date!!!! Can’t wait!

Will we be able to get the books signed by some of the people there?!

Steven Miller on August 7th, 2012 at 3:35 pm

@Jennifer – Wishing you many happy returns (a little early). I hope you have a great trip. Yes, you will be able to get the book signed. Here is some additional information on the official Art of Disney Parks website:

Jon from CA on August 7th, 2012 at 11:41 am

I just want to say how excited I am to see the amount of detail put into the book, like the Pantone Matching! It’ll be so nice to see all of these posters accurately! I tried to pick up a copy when it first hit shelves, but they were all gone by the time I got to Disneyland. But hearing amazing things about the book!

Shawn on August 7th, 2012 at 12:51 pm

@Michelle – I pre-ordered my copy on Amazon. It’s even discounted for a limited time prior to release (September 4th).

Looking forward to see it! I have always loved looking at the posters when entering the Magic Kingdom.

Cheers

Kristal on August 7th, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I will be in the park that day! So excited!! Will we be able to purchase the book at the signing?

Steven Miller on August 7th, 2012 at 3:37 pm

@Kristal – Lucky! I wish I could go but my jet is in the shop (LOL). Yes, we will have books available on the day of the event.

Michelle on August 7th, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Thanks Steven & Shawn – I think I’ll place my order tonight!! :)

Chuck on August 7th, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I’ve wanted a book like this since I was a kid, and I’m so excited to have a copy! Many thanks to the authors for all of their hard work! You can really tell how much care and devotion went into the book.

What I’d really like to know is that now that so much effort was put into proper color-matching, is there any chance that updated artwork could make it’s way to the Art On Demand stations at the park? I’d love to hang more than a few beautiful, vibrant and accurate posters in my home!

Steven Miller on August 8th, 2012 at 2:50 pm

@Chuck – I spoke with Vanessa about your question. She said that the Art Library works closely with teams providing them with high resolution, digitally cleaned scans of artwork. In order to ensure Guests get a color accurate reproduction, they send the printer a color match print that matches the original artwork as closely as possible. This is particularly true for imagery associated with Disney Gallery exhibitions. I know they are looking at how best to continue updating other files with Art on Demand going forward.

Llance on August 7th, 2012 at 4:10 pm

They are sold out in the Park : ( I would drive up right this second if they had some : ) Really excited about this book, been waiting for it for years!

Stacey on August 7th, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Super excited going to be in California starting Friday the 17th!! I just wanted to see if you knew how much the book is? I look forward to purchasing one and getting it signed. Love your Blog by the way!!

Steven Miller on August 8th, 2012 at 2:52 pm

@Stacey – As Shawn mentioned below, the book is listed at $40. And thank you for reading the articles I write! :-)

Shawn on August 7th, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Glad to help Michelle!

@ Stacey – the book is listed at $40. This is pretty consistent with other books released along these lines. Once again, cheaper if purchased at Amazon for presage, but if I could get it at the Parks earlier, I would pay the extra. :)

Shawn on August 8th, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Love reading your articles Steven! And what makes it even better is that you take the time to respond to what we have to write. Makes it that much better! :)

Keep up the great work!

Steven Miller on August 10th, 2012 at 4:32 pm

@Shawn – Thank you for the kind words. That means a lot to me. I enjoy talking with folks who love Disney as much as me. I’m thankful for this opportunity to share stories on the Disney Parks Blog.