Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Happy Holidays from Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa at the Walt Disney World Resort

New Fantasyland Grand Opening Set For December 6 at Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort

posted on August 7th, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

For more than a year now, we’ve shared updates on the New Fantasyland expansion at Magic Kingdom Park and we’re just as excited as you are to experience these magical new attractions for ourselves.

Today we’re thrilled to announce that the grand opening of New Fantasyland will take place on December 6, 2012. Attractions included in this opening are Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid, Be Our Guest Restaurant, Enchanted Tales with Belle, Ariel’s Grotto, Gaston’s Tavern and Bonjour! Village Gifts.

Previews of these attractions will begin November 19.

As previously planned, the New Fantasyland expansion will continue with the opening of Princess Fairytale Hall in 2013 and the debut of a new Disney “mountain” in the form of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train in 2014.

The Storybook Circus section of the New Fantasyland expansion, which includes Barnstormer – Starring the Great Goofini, the Casey Jr. Splash & Soak Station, and Dumbo the Flying Elephant, opened to guests in July.

How soon will you visit? And which New Fantasyland attraction are you most excited to experience?

Keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog and follow @WaltDisneyWorld on Twitter for the latest on the New Fantasyland expansion. While you’re on Twitter, join in the conversation by using the hashtag #NewFantasyland.

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

connie on August 7th, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Can’t wait…My family and I will be DW the preview week..my grands are going to be so excited….Will the restuarant areas be open then for run throughs?

Ricky from FL on August 7th, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Let the countdown commence! 104 days for previews and 121 days until the grand opening. Can’t wait to walk over the waterways and among the Fantasyland Forest.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on August 7th, 2012 at 7:37 pm

David on August 7th, 2012 at 6:39 pm

9/15/12 and 12/12/12

Jolie on August 7th, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Oh shoot, thought the restaurant would be open for our Halloween visit! Just means we need to get back in 2013!!

Allison on August 7th, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Leaving on the day it opens…so sad. :(

Karyn from NJ on August 7th, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Will November 19 be the same day the Annual Passholders get to preview Fantasyland also? I’m so mad we’re going to miss the previews by 9 days :-(

Andrew on August 7th, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Jennifer, do we have any idea on the passholder previews and the registration will open?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on August 7th, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I do not know…let me look into it.

Laura from LA on August 7th, 2012 at 6:44 pm

So sad…we will miss the opening by 4 days, we are heading back home on December 2nd :(

Danielle on August 7th, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I’m visiting in 13 days!!! But also the week after the new fantasyland opens! So excited!!!!

Amanda on August 7th, 2012 at 6:44 pm

The Grand Opening date is the day we are leaving : ( However what are the preview dates? Will Little Mermaid, etc all be open to ride after November 19th for everyone? Or just certain people? We will still have a great time as always, but we’ve been counting down for this new Fantasyland so long we will be bummed if we miss it this time around – though that means we’ll just have to come back again : )

Ashley from FL on August 7th, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Who can go to the previewing? How will that work?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on August 8th, 2012 at 8:58 am

The preview period allows guests a chance to experience the new area/attractions prior to the grand opening. During a preview period, attractions and experiences may have limited operating hours.

mark from sussex on August 7th, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Jennifer are the November previews open to the general public?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on August 8th, 2012 at 10:30 am

Yes. The preview period will give park guests a chance to experience the new area/attractions prior to the grand opening. During a preview period, attractions may have limited operating hours.

LIBBY from NJ on August 7th, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Ughhh!! We will be there till december 2nd :(

fabiola on August 7th, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Jennifer

So happy with this news.
We will be in WDW between 06 to 17 december and more precisely in the Magic Kingdom 08 and 11.
The best of this visit is that we will know new fantasyland
My daughter is jumping with excitement.
I´m so glad.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on August 7th, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever written a blog post that made someone jump with excitement before!

Leigh-Ann on August 7th, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I can’t wait we will be there for 8 days starting December 8th!! Looking forward to the quick service dinning for lunch time at Be Our Guest! And our Little Mermaid room at Art of Animation Resort!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on August 7th, 2012 at 7:39 pm

LOVE Art of Animation!

Craig on August 7th, 2012 at 6:55 pm

As it turns out, we *leave* on the morning of Dec 6th to return home. So my question is: Are the previews you speak of only for annual passholders or is there any chance that a regular guy like me (and his family, including 2 little girls who would *love* to see the new stuff) could get in on the preview goodness?

Kimberly on August 7th, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Right around Christmas is the PERFECT time of year!! :-D

Jennifer from MN on August 7th, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I’m SO EXCITED!!! We are going to be there! We head home in the evening on the 7th. This is going to be the best birthday ever for me!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on August 7th, 2012 at 7:39 pm

That’s good to hear. :)

Aric on August 7th, 2012 at 6:57 pm

We will be coming at the end of January. Do you know if the princesses will still be out for us to see even though the place for them to go will not be done yet?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on August 7th, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Yes, you can find them at Town Square Theater at the front of the park. Always pick up a Times Guide when you enter the park in order to find your favorite character.

Kristine on August 7th, 2012 at 7:00 pm

We are going 11/27-12/4. What attractions will be open?

Heather on August 7th, 2012 at 7:02 pm

So cool. I was there at WDW when the expansion was announced in Sept ’09 and now will be there in January!

Leora on August 7th, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Oh Jennifer Thanks so much for the info! I’m so excited the 6th is the last night of our trip and it is also my DS birthday so this is so cool. Belle is our families favorite so can’t wait for the “Enchanted Tales”.
We have Cinderella’s Royal Table booked for that morning but don’t want to miss anything, can you tell us a time for the Official Opening or anything like that?
Thanks again :)

Sean from GA on August 7th, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Our next trip is first week of Dec so hopefully we catch a soft opening. If not we will be there in January as I can’t wait to see this new area!! Glad there is finally a date :) Happy Happy Joy Joy

Danica on August 7th, 2012 at 7:07 pm

When you said there will be FP available for Mermaid, were you speaking of the ride, or the grotto meet and greet? Or will it be available for both? My girls are so excited to meet Ariel with her tail – we were there 2 years ago two weeks after the grotto closed for the expansion, and they were so disappointed!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on August 7th, 2012 at 7:40 pm

The attraction itself.

Friend on August 7th, 2012 at 7:11 pm

We are going to be there from Oct 28-Nov.14. Seventeen glorious days! Taking our 20 year old daughter and her bff this trip and possibly going back in March or so with our oldest daughter and her family. I so can’t wait! The last time we were there was 3 years ago. Too long! Would love to get into the Be Our Guest restuarant.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on August 7th, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Wow, that sounds great!

Chrystal on August 7th, 2012 at 7:12 pm

We will be there the last week in January. I’M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!! Thanks so much for the update.

Gustavo on August 7th, 2012 at 7:13 pm

We’re going there on 12/18 and will stay for the holiday season, so this is great news! I’m really looking forward to seeing the new attractions!

Robert on August 7th, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Just a quick note. While I love the idea of Magic Kingdom continuing to refresh itself with new attractions replacing those that have seen better days and larger crowds, I am not a fan of these fixed character greeting areas. Remember fondly being surprised by just walking into Mickey, Donald or the seven dwarfs? Standing in an two hour line to let my two daughters meet Repunzel last fall was the epitome of frustration. Now the characters have FastPasses??

Again, I love Disney and all of the joy that visits bring to me and my family, it just seems that planning a vacation is becoming like planning a week long business meeting. Bring back some of the wonder, cut down on the schedules!!

Thanks for letting me vent.

Erin from RI on August 7th, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Any word on if we will be able to ride Dumbo during the WDWMarathon? Do you run any of the runDisney events Jenn? You seem like a runner! Happy opening in November!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on August 7th, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I’ll check on this. :)

Jennifer on August 7th, 2012 at 7:18 pm

We already have plans to be there Nov. 30th. We’re vacation club and annual pass holders. Can you please tell us if we can schedule a preview? Thanks!

Diana from NY on August 7th, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I’m very excited to see Fantasyland after it’s been “unveiled!” Thinking about what used to be in Mickey’s Toontown Fair and Fantasyland prior to the expansion, I’m trying to determine how many new rides are going to be in the “New” Fantasyland. It seems that we’re actually breaking even (or maybe one new ride, after the Snow White coaster opens in a few years) with the expansion – is that right?

From the artwork and what we’ve seen so far of the Storybook Circus, I know that the remaining areas are going to look fantastic!

Shawn from MI on August 7th, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Was there in 2011 and planning spring break 2014 trip with grandchildren. Can’t wait to take them to the New Fantasyland.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on August 7th, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Grandparents are awesome!

Lisa on August 7th, 2012 at 7:20 pm

SO GLAD this info was finally announced but SO SAD that I’ll be there November 3-10 and just miss the preview! @Jennifer– you do a great job with these blog posts! So excited every time I see you picture by a new post! Thanks for the information & keep up the sneak peaks for those of us whole won’t get to experience the New Fantasyland in person for a good many years!!!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on August 7th, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Thank you, Lisa. Don’t forget that there Storybook Circus is open and it looks wonderful. Plenty of fun to be had over there.

Margaret on August 7th, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Who will be able to preview the new attractions? Will Be Our Guest Restaurant be open during the preview period?

Mary on August 7th, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Looks like we picked the wrong time to visit. We’re weeks too early for Fantasyland and we picked the only rooms in the entire resort not to get free dining. I can’t afford to let this first trip I planned be a dud, and we won’t be able to afford to come back for years… I guess this was a sign…

Kelly on August 7th, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Do you know what they mean by “Previews of these attractions will begin earlier, on Nov. 19″? We were leaving to go home on the 17th and I am looking at changing our dates so we can enjoy the new fantasyland. Thanks.

Tina on August 7th, 2012 at 7:30 pm

We are going to be celebrating my son’s birthday at the parks on the week of the November 10th. Do you think we have any chance of catching a glimpse of the new FantasyLand Expansion?

Gwen on August 7th, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Are any of the new restaurants in Fantasy Land character meals?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on August 8th, 2012 at 10:30 am

No word on this yet.

MELISSA from FL on August 7th, 2012 at 7:40 pm

This is going to be such an amazing time for Disney World. My daughter and I are hoping to get the chance to see the new Fantasyland early with our annual passes.

Nicole on August 7th, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I am so sad right now. I’m coming to WDW Nov 28th to Dec 5th. That’s right I’m leaving the day before the Grand Opening. I’ve been waiting for BOGR to open for so long. I can’t even believe that I’m going to miss it by 1 day. Jennifer, can you work your Disney Magic and move it up by a day or two?!!!

Kara on August 7th, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Hi Jennifer! How exactly do the previews work?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on August 8th, 2012 at 10:58 am

A preview period will give park guests a chance to experience the new area/attractions prior to the grand opening. During a preview period, attractions may have limited operating hours.

Rachel from HI on August 7th, 2012 at 7:48 pm

We will be there from Nov. 26 – Dec. 2. Are the previews of The New Fantasyland open to the public?

Debra on August 7th, 2012 at 7:50 pm

We planned an extra long trip in January to give ourselves time to explore New Fantasyland. Now that I see the date, I’m trying to figure out if I can do a quick weekend. I’m not local, so one might say I have “Mickey Madness!”

Holly on August 7th, 2012 at 7:55 pm

AHhh so Bummed! I know it was wishful thinking that the holiday season would include Halloween. O’well we will still have a wonderful time at Mickey’s Not so Scary Halloween Party! We did it 5 years ago and it was so much fun that we decided to go back to do it again this year. I suppose this is just another reason to come back to WDW :)

Sharen from NJ on August 7th, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Oh no, we have reservations for Nov 2nd thru Nov 9th. Does this mean we miss it altogether ???

Josh from PA on August 7th, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Just missing this since we will be leaving November 24th. Can’t wait for our next trip!

John on August 7th, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Thank you Disney! We have waited so long for this date. My nieces and I are packed and ready to go.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on August 8th, 2012 at 10:59 am

I’m happy we could finally share the date with you! :)

David on August 7th, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Can I get a free ticket to celebrate by birthday same day as opening? LOL

mandi on August 7th, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Just another one wondering about the “previews” … can’t wait to hear more!

Sara on August 7th, 2012 at 8:12 pm

We are coming in about 6 weeks! Super excited to see Storybook Circus. No need to be disappointed that we are going to miss the opening of everything else, just means that we get to plan another trip!!!!!