Astro Orbitor at Disneyland Park

Popular Vinylmation – Star Wars Collection Expands with a New Series at Disney Parks

posted on August 13th, 2012 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

Popular Vinylmation – Star Wars Collection Expands with Series Two, Coming to Disney Parks

Since its release in January 2011, the first series of Vinylmation figures featuring Star Wars characters has become the most popular Vinylmation series of all time. Created by Disney Design Group artist Mike Sullivan, the first series celebrated the 30th anniversary of Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back. For series two, the Vinylmation team turned their attention to the original 1977 classic film, Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. This allowed the team to regroup and plan a strategy for future releases, as explained by Thomas Scott, one of the lead Vinylmation artists.

“The first series was created at a different time in Vinylmation history,” explained Thomas. “When we began developing series two, we considered several factors for future growth. We again worked closely with Lucasfilm when selecting the characters for the new series. We also thought about how those characters could appear in future series.”

Series Two is a limited-release, mystery series, which means there are 11 known figures and one “mystery chaser” figure. Each figure is packaged in a box, so you won’t know which one you will get until you open it.

To design the figures, Thomas enlisted the help of artists Casey Jones and Maria Clapsis. Casey created concept sketches of each figure, while Maria turned those sketches into full-color images. I spoke with Casey about one unique design element I love on these figures – the ears.

“I like using the ears as a way to further enhance the story,” explained Casey. “When designing these figures, I looked for something iconic to add to the ears, such as the ‘binary sunset’ on the Tusken Raider or Obi-Wan Kenobi figures. Adding design elements from the film help set the stage for each character.”

The new series will debut on Thursday, August 23 at Celebration VI, a Star Wars fan event being held at the Orange County Convention Center in Florida.

We will then launch the series at D Street in Downtown Disney West Side in Florida on Friday, August 24. Fans can meet Casey and Maria from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Casey will travel to the Disneyland Resort on Saturday, August 25, for the release of this series at D Street in the Downtown Disney District. Fans can meet him from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Check out these posts for more news about Vinylmation at Disney Parks:

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Justin from NJ on August 13th, 2012 at 9:53 am

Do we have any idea who the chaser is for this set?

Scuba on August 13th, 2012 at 10:06 am

Will these ever come to Disney stores, or DS?

Justin on August 13th, 2012 at 10:20 am

Is there any plans for seperate combo packs with different designs not in the Mystery set of 12? There are so many characters from a New Hope that aren’t in any of the other Episodes that I’d hate not to see created for Series 2. I’d make a list, but it would be pretty long LOL!!

Steven Miller on August 13th, 2012 at 10:31 am

@Justin from NJ – Yes. I know who the chaser figure is for the set. But I don’t want to spoil the surprise just yet. I will say that I thought it was a pretty secondary character and I was happy to see the figure selected.

@Scuba – Due to contractual obligations, we are unable to sell these via the Disney Parks Online store or at the Disney Stores. Once the series is released, your best option would be to contact Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Merchandise Guest Services at 1-877-560-6477 or send an email to: merchandiseguestservices@disney.go.com

@Justin – I don’t know of any plans like you describe for this series. Agreed there are many options for characters. I know the Vinylmation team has considered future development already.

Justin from NJ on August 13th, 2012 at 10:33 am

Alright well I guess I will have to wait! The chaser is going to make me decide if I want the set or not!! Thanks!!!

Steven Miller on August 13th, 2012 at 10:58 am

@Justin – I would keep watch on http://www.Disney.com/Vinylmation as we will be sharing turn-around images very soon. We typically include the chaser figure (but give fans an option if they don’t want to see it … like “spoil at your own risk” if that makes sense.

Stuart on August 14th, 2012 at 5:55 am

Will they be available to buy at Celebration or just D Street?

Steven Miller on August 15th, 2012 at 1:05 pm

@Stuart – The series will be released first at the Celebration VI event on Thursday, August 23. Then we will release the series on Friday, August 24 at D-Street in Downtown Disney West Side in Florida. On Saturday, August 25, the series will be released at D-Street at Downtown Disney District in California.

samuel on August 14th, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Can you tell me what will be happening at the event on August 24? I have 2 sons and they would love autographs. Just wanted to make sure it is worth going and taking time away from the park. Thanks.

Steven Miller on August 15th, 2012 at 1:08 pm

@Samuel – Sure thing! The series will be released at D-Street that morning. The meet and greet with Casey and Maria will start at 11:00 a.m. They will be singing figures and speaking with fans. It’s a great opportunity to meet two very talented and extremely friendly artists. I have enjoyed speaking with them both in recent years. It’s a unique opportunity as the artists typically work in a backstage area.

Susana from FL on August 16th, 2012 at 1:40 pm

hi, just wondering how much will the star wars 2 be going for? Will it be the same price as star wars 1?

DANNETTE on August 16th, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Love Vinylmation! I must ask… what happened to the nose? Maybe you answered this somewhere else and I apologize if I missed it. THanks

Steven Miller on August 17th, 2012 at 9:03 am

@Susana – Each mystery box will be $14.95 (please note retails are subject to change without notice).

@Dannette – Happy to hear! There is a great explanation found on our official Disney.com/Vinylmation website:

William on August 18th, 2012 at 1:20 pm

This set is pretty nice. However, I distinctly remember there being a couple of nine inch figures that were suppose to be released for the series #1 set. There was a Wampa and Star Tours pilot Rex. So what happened to them? Are we going to see them sometime?

Steven Miller on August 21st, 2012 at 7:15 pm

@William – Unfortunately, those designs were never made. They were once planned for series #1 but didn’t make it past concept art.