Japan Pavilion at Epcot

Vintage Walt Disney World: Kidding Around at Downtown Disney

posted on August 16th, 2012 by Nate Rasmussen, Archivist, Marketing Resource Center

Know a good joke? Well practice your delivery because today is National Tell a Joke Day. One place where the laughs (and jokes) used to entertain guests nightly was at the Comedy Warehouse at Pleasure Island.

Vintage Walt Disney World: Kidding Around at Downtown Disney

The 290 seat venue “where the tin roof rattled with laughter” was home to both headlining comedians and the Comedy Warehouse players who performed improvisational comedy shows nightly.

Vintage Walt Disney World: Kidding Around at Downtown Disney

This early artist rendering of the Comedy Warehouse gave it a completely different look and feel to the prop warehouse guests and cast members grew to love.

Vintage Walt Disney World: Kidding Around at Downtown Disney

While the laughs have stopped at the Comedy Warehouse at Pleasure Island, last year the troupe was resurrected for a holiday special at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Today, guests can visit the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor at Magic Kingdom Park for a fresh serving of jokes by the monsters of Monstropolis.

For more news from Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World Resort, check out the posts below:

Filed: Disney History, Downtown Disney, Walt Disney World Resort

Danielle from FL on August 16th, 2012 at 9:33 am

I miss this place soooooooooo much. I never had the chance to go to the special performances that were held at Hollywood Studios this past holiday season, but I hope and pray that this may happen again this year. The Cast of these shows are still the best and I love seeing them in various roles throughout WDW.
One can only hope that Pleasure Island may some day return to its former glory.

Alex on August 16th, 2012 at 10:53 am

I really miss the Comedy Warehouse, but it was so much fun seeing the cast reunited for the holiday special! It was amazing, each show was standing room only. Fortunately we can still see most of the cast elsewhere in the parks, especially the very talented piano lady!

Jim on August 16th, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I miss this place and miss the Adventurers Club even more. I wish Disney could bring the Adventurers Club back to Downtown Disney (or somewhere else on Disney World property.)

Diana from NY on August 17th, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Comedy Warehouse was such a great time! I really miss when WDW had things for adults to do at night without children.

Daniel on August 17th, 2012 at 2:03 pm

As fun as the clubs were, having a place like the Comedy Warehouse and the Adventurers Club to take a laugh break during the night made Pleasure Island a great part of my visits to Walt Disney World and when I lived in Orlando. I loved looking at all the Disney memorabilia in the Comedy Warehouse, too.

ROBERT from FL on August 18th, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Hopefully Comedy Warehouse and Mannequins Dance Palace will be returning soon!

William from FL on August 20th, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Nice to see a mention of the Comedy Warehouse!

Unfortunately, the closure of CW and all the other clubs on Pleasure Island left a nighttime entertainment void which is not filled by anything currently offered by WDW. It was awfully fun while it lasted… bring ‘em back, Mickey!