Joining “Delicious Disney Desserts” and “Delicious Disney Just for Kids,” the new “Delicious Disney Holidays” is the latest on the shelves in Disney stores. We had the pleasure of working with the Disney chefs to come up with 20 perfect recipes for this treasure of Disney holiday favorites, starting with New Year’s Eve flatbreads and ending with a Christmas yule log.
In between, we’ve got chocolate truffle cake for Valentine’s Day, hot cross buns for Easter, coconut-crusted tofu in miso broth for Earth Day and roasted garlic-orange pork ribs for Fourth of July. There are Jack Skellington sugar cookies for Halloween and smoked salmon and herb muffins for Hanukkah.
One of my favorites is the sweet potato pancakes with honey-pecan butter from The Wave… of American Flavors at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. The book suggests them for Mother’s Day, but we mix a batch on a lazy weekend morning and everyone feels special.
Sweet Potato Pancakes With Honey-Pecan Butter
Serves 4 to 6
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato (from about 1 small sweet potato)
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 225°F.
- Sift flour into a large bowl. Add baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, and whisk until
- Combine milk, brown sugar, sweet potato, eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract in a large bowl; whisk until well blended. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, and stir until just blended.
- Heat a nonstick griddle or skillet over medium-low heat until a few drops of water sizzle on the surface. If using an electric skillet, preheat to 350°F.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of batter per pancake onto skillet. Cook on first side until tops bubble and sides look dry; flip and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes more.
- Place cooked pancakes on a baking sheet and place into preheated oven to keep warm. Repeat
process with remaining batter.
- Stir together butter, honey and pecans in a medium bowl.
- Top pancakes with honey-pecan butter, and serve immediately.