Halloween at the Walt Disney World Resort

Epcot Photo Flashback: Kitchen Kabaret Cooks!

posted on September 10th, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

We know that many of you are fans of early Epcot history, and in honor of the park’s upcoming 30th anniversary, we’re starting the celebration early by sharing Epcot Photo Flashbacks with you each Monday through October 1.

I first set foot in Epcot (then Epcot Center) when I was 7 years old. I remember feeling wowed at the glimpses of the future that were offered in attractions like Horizons, World of Motion, Living with the Land, and The Living Seas. But in my opinion, no attraction offered more fun than Kitchen Kabaret!
Kitchen Kabaret in The Land Pavilion at Epcot

This attraction was housed in The Land Pavilion and starred a cast of quirky characters who sang, danced, and told jokes to prove that good nutrition was also fun. Hosted by Bonnie Appetit, the kitchen came alive with singing cereal boxes, a crooning carton of milk, toe-tapping toast and much more. Who didn’t love the wisecracks served up by the comedic duo of Hamm & Eggz? Or Colander Combo and Fiesta Fruit’s signature song, “Veggie Fruit-Fruit”? Sing it with me: “There are no substitutes for we veggie, fruit-fruit, veggie-veggie, fruit-fruit…!”

For the latest on the 30th anniversary of Epcot, be sure to follow @WaltDisneyWorld on Twitter, and join the conversation with the hashtag #Epcot30.

Filed: Disney History, Epcot, Walt Disney World Resort

Janice on September 10th, 2012 at 9:03 am

This was one of my family’s favorites! Thanks for remembering it!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 10th, 2012 at 9:23 am

Love it. :)

Meredith from VA on September 10th, 2012 at 9:08 am

Oh, I totally remember this! I was at Epcot around 1990, and I think that’s when I saw the Kitchen Kabaret. I loved the singing food.

Paul on September 10th, 2012 at 9:19 am

Who could ever forget…Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit! (I actually have a pin of the Mister Broccoli up there).

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 10th, 2012 at 9:23 am

I have a pin of the bananas!

Steve on September 10th, 2012 at 9:30 am

Thanks, Jennifer, for posting those photos! I remember this show from when I was a kid and always enjoyed it. Not only was it great entertainment, but it taught a lesson about eating healthy. I look forward to more of these.

Is there a chance these flashback posts can keep going even after October 1st?

Edward from TX on September 10th, 2012 at 9:32 am

I was always a fan of the Boogie Woogie Bakery Boy song myself.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 10th, 2012 at 11:32 am

Me, too. That was a great one. Cute cereal boxes.

Kenan on September 10th, 2012 at 9:53 am

I believe back then it was called Listen to the Land

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 10th, 2012 at 11:34 am

“Listen to the Land” was the original name of the current “Living With The Land” attraction. “The Land” is the name of the pavilion that houses everything.

Tracy on September 10th, 2012 at 9:57 am

I loved the Kitchen Kabaret as a kid! It was one of my favorite attractions in Epcot! Veggie, Veggie, Fruit used to get stuck in my head for days! I was so sad when I discovered it was no longer at Epcot.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 10th, 2012 at 11:35 am

“Cha cha cha!” :)

Sean from GA on September 10th, 2012 at 10:22 am

Kitchen Kabaret how you are missed. Veggie, Veggie, Fruit, Fruit. I prefer you over the current The Circle of Life. So, off to Soarin :)

Adam on September 10th, 2012 at 10:47 am

Food Rocks replaced this correct? Then Soarin. I believe Circle of Life was there at the same time as Food Rocks. Maybe I’m mistaken though.

Thanks for the photos! How about some Cranium Command next! Man I miss that one.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 10th, 2012 at 11:31 am

Food Rocks! Then Soarin.

Jeff from NJ on September 10th, 2012 at 11:02 am

While working with Rolly Crump in writing his memoirs, we talked about this extensively. It is one of my favorite attractions, and definitely missed!

corrie on September 10th, 2012 at 11:41 am

I loved this show when I was little! my younger sister can’t remember it, but we did find a youtube video for her to see! Looking at the picture now that has to be Paula Deens favorite drummer!

Kristin on September 10th, 2012 at 11:51 am

Oh how this brings back childhood memories! Thanks for remembering!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 10th, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Diane on September 10th, 2012 at 12:35 pm

One of my favorites growing up. Really wish my son could have seen it. At least we have the soundtrack to listen too. :)

Mike on September 10th, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Never saw this one i think it was closed when I was there. But i remember seing Food Rocks!

Michelle on September 10th, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Ahh – flashback!! I miss Kitchen Kabaret so much! Now I’ll be singing for the rest of the day… veggie, veggie, fruit, fruit!

Just a few weeks ago I actually pulled up YouTube videos of Kitchen Kabaret & Food Rocks to show my boyfriend what he’ll be missing out on when we go in December, lol (his first trip to WDW!)

Anonymous on September 10th, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Have you seen the new Food Rocks Vinylmation in the parks? Crazy man, craaaazy. :)

Gordon from TX on September 10th, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Brings back great memories of my kids walking around singing “Veggie-Veggie Fruit-Fruit”… looking forward to our trips with their children,…Disneyland/CarsLand with grandson #1 in December and WDW with grandson #2 in March. Forgot to mention Disney Cruise out of Galveston for Halloween with just the wife and I…we can still be kids.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 10th, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I hope you have a blast on your upcoming trips. Many memories are yet to be made. :)

Katherine on September 10th, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I first went to Epcot when I was seven, too! It was 1988, and I thought the Kitchen Kabaret was fantastic – it became my second favourite attraction, coming just behind Horizons. I still loved it when it became Food Rocks, and as much as I love Soarin’, I still miss it now. Thanks for the blast from the past, Jennifer!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 10th, 2012 at 3:14 pm

You’re welcome. :)

Sandra from NY on September 10th, 2012 at 2:55 pm

We saw this a couple times when we were kids and my parents had a CD with the veggie fruit fruit song on it. My parents still go a little crazy sometimes and sing that song! Good memories :)

Tamela on September 10th, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I loved this but it makes me feel old. I guess in a few more years the memories of the first Test Track will be a flashback! Jennifer, thanks for posting things like this it brings back many old memories. Thank you also for taking time to blog back. I know everyone looks forward to your comments.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 10th, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Thanks for the compliment, Tamela. I love thinking about my trips to Epcot in the 1980s. Wish I could go back for just one day. I’d snap up all the merchandise I could find…and visit Horizons…and get a photo w/Dreamfinder and Figment.

Crystal on September 10th, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I’m so sad my kids never had a chance to see this, as this was one of my favorites as a child. And, just as everyone else has said, I can still sing the song just as easily as I can sing the original song from The Journey Into Imagination and The Carousel of Progress…”now is the time, now is the best time, now is the best time of your life…”

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 10th, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I love both of those attractions. I always liked Carousel and loved those looks into the past.

Alison on September 10th, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I now have “Veggie fruit fruit veggie veggie fruit fruit” in repetition in my head, thanks, Jennifer!!! I’ve loved both this and Food Rocks, but that veggie fruit fruit sticks with you FOR LIFE!! I think it beats Small World and Yo Ho Yo Ho and the park song stuck in my head the most. :)

Allan on September 10th, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Who can forget Act 5″Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit” by Colander Combo and the Fiesta Fruit

Night sounds, Latin percussion, and low lighting set the mood for this number, as the produce (broccoli, tomatoes, bananas, etc.) begin to chant “Veggie-Veggie-Fruit-Fruit! Veggie-Fruit-Fruit!” Bonnie Appetite, now in a Carmen Miranda-style carnival outfit, and perched upon a crescent moon that descends from the ceiling, sings “I simply have to tell you that my friends who are singing are…delectable!” Here, another running gag is present. A broccoli piece says ” cha cha cha!” at times while his glasses flip off, but the glasses resume.

[edit] Finale

Terri on September 10th, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I never got to go on Food Rocks, World of Motion, Horizons, or any of the other now closed epcot rides because I never went Epcot until after these closed. :(

Danielle from NC on September 10th, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Thanks for the photos. I’ve been going to EPCOT for over 23 years now and Kitchen Kabaret was one of my favorites. I used to make my Dad go with me at least twice every time we visited. I can’t wait to see EPCOT turn 30 years old, and I will be there for both the D23 EPCOT 30th anniversary celebration and any that may occur on Oct. 1. Please keep posting the pics because it brings back such great memories.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 11th, 2012 at 9:32 am

The D23 event should be a blast!

Sara on September 10th, 2012 at 11:30 pm

As all have commented before me — thanks for the memories! I truly miss this attraction but am comforted by the fact that I have a copy of the song on my iPod — it’s great! The pictures are fabulous! I must also agree with Adam’s comment about Cranium Command. As a physician I am certain that the now defunct Wonders of Life pavilion helped encourage me to pursue my present career. Perhaps a future blog topic? :)

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 11th, 2012 at 9:33 am

Oddly enough, I don’t remember Cranium Command. Let me look into it.

Jenny from MA on September 11th, 2012 at 7:21 am

I totally miss this. :( Loved it as a kid, I still sing veggie fruit fruit and wish my broccoli could flip it’s glasses up. Also really really miss the old Figment and the Dreamfinder. Can we flashback to that too??

Holly on September 11th, 2012 at 8:57 am

Even today, I can’t walk in to the Land Pavilion without singing, “Veggie, veggie, fruit, fruit, veggie, fruit, fruit!” My kids just know to expect it.

Alexis from FL on September 11th, 2012 at 9:14 am

I love the Kitchen Kabaret! I miss that show. I have the veggie, fruit, fruit song on my Disney World CD. Thank you so much for posting those awesome pictures!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 11th, 2012 at 9:31 am

You’re welcome.

Friend on September 11th, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I’m really glad the surviving Civil War brother who wore Blue in the America Pavillion went on to design this show in Kitchen Cabaret.

Jeffrey on September 12th, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I was also a huge KK fan. My first trip to Epcot was in 1986, and at the end of 5 days, this was the last thing we wanted to see one more time before we left to go home. On a later visit I took some photos, (without a flash, of course) so they aren’t that great – so its nice to see these professional shots. At the D23 event for WDW 40, I got my picture taken in front of the mustard in the archive exhibit, but my favorite was the broccoli. Hope to see more at D23 for Epcot 30th coming up. Was never as much of a fan for Food Rocks, although Cher as a mermaid singing about eating fish while suspended from a moon is an image I haven’t yet forgotten.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 13th, 2012 at 11:13 am

I’ll be at that D23 event. It will be fun to see what they have in store!

Donald on September 14th, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I actually did an edit of the song and have “veggie fruit” as a ringtone for my phone. Gets a few stares and a lot of laughs!

Jayne on September 16th, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I really liked this show…especially the Peter Gabriel bit. Sometimes I catch it on Mouse World Radio.

Josiah on September 17th, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I went to this all the time when I was a kid, this and Cranium Command! One thing I sure do miss is “Honey I shrunk the Audience!” Imagination with the Dreamfinder and Figment was also a favorite. Lets just say Epcot is (and I’m sure will always be) my favorite park! :)

Carin on September 18th, 2012 at 8:34 pm

KK was one of my favorites as a kid… I miss it so much.