Spaceship Earth at Epcot

Guests Can Soon Interact with Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in New Immersive Queue

posted on September 24th, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Today we have an exciting update on something new that’s in the works in Frontierland at Magic Kingdom ParkBig Thunder Mountain Railroad is about to get a new interactive queue.

Guests Can Soon Interact With Big Thunder Mountain Railroad In New Immersive Queue

We’ve previously shared updates here on the Disney Parks Blog about enhanced queues that have been added to other attractions at the park – these interactive queues immediately allow guests to immerse themselves in the story of an attraction while they wait to board. Such experiences can already be found at The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, the Haunted Mansion, and most recently, Dumbo the Flying Elephant in Storybook Circus.

Our friends at Walt Disney Imagineering just shared with us that Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in Frontierland is next in line for such an addition. When it opens, guests will be able to participate in the story of the Big Thunder Mining Company like never before. It’s guaranteed to be a blast!

See more about the enhanced queues at Walt Disney World Resort in these posts:

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Josh on September 24th, 2012 at 9:49 am

Here at Disneyland Paris, we have quite a few props in our queue that are real tools and whatnot that were used during the time period. When I was a kid, I always used to wish I could play with them. I imagine you’ll have loads of mining tools to play with in this new queue.

Plus, this will make a Fastpass a lot less necessary, so I can’t wait to see what you’ll have in the new queue. :D

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 24th, 2012 at 10:46 am

It should be fun, Josh!

Amy on September 24th, 2012 at 9:56 am

Is there an approximate timeline for the opening? We arrive exactly two months from today (!), and I’m guessing that may be too soon. But a girl can dream!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 24th, 2012 at 10:47 am

There is no opening date for this to announce just yet. I’ll keep you updated.

Michelle on September 24th, 2012 at 10:00 am

Any word on when this will be taking place and what, if any, will be the dates they close the ride to install it?

Big Thunder is one of my favorites and I would LOVE for this to be completed in time for our trip in December!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 24th, 2012 at 10:47 am

The changes will occur overnight, so no closures are expected.

Adam on September 24th, 2012 at 10:03 am

Hasn’t the BTR queue recently been renovated? Does this mean that the queue will go under further construction or have adjustments been made already and we just havent seen them yet?

Chris on September 24th, 2012 at 10:06 am

Guaranteed to be a “blast”. Ha! You are so clever, Jennifer. :)

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 24th, 2012 at 10:47 am

;)

Dawn from NY on September 24th, 2012 at 10:10 am

Glad to hear it – BUT – bummer, I suspect it’s going to shut down again after missing it for our February 2012 visit. :(

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 24th, 2012 at 10:48 am

The enhancements are being made at night after the park closes, so it should not disrupt daytime operation.

leanne from act on September 24th, 2012 at 10:18 am

When?? When??

Jean from ME on September 24th, 2012 at 10:25 am

This is great but I hope it is open for President’s week. It was closed during that week last year and we really missed it. One of our faves!

Bobby on September 24th, 2012 at 10:52 am

When they installed the haunted mansion interactive queue, the ride didn’t close at all to my recollection. When they did the winnie the pooh one, it closed for a super short amount of a time (I think it was a week at most?). Either way, i’m assuming that it won’t affect the ride during normal hours, aside from maybe a day or so here or there. Super exciting news, and I can’t wait to see it.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 24th, 2012 at 11:24 am

That’s good to hear, Bobby. I love the new queue at The Haunted Mansion. Very fun.

Robby on September 24th, 2012 at 10:54 am

Will The Ballad of Thunder Mountain play during the queue?

becky on September 24th, 2012 at 3:57 pm

do you think they will get any interactive queues in disneyland?

Allie on September 24th, 2012 at 4:30 pm

This is SO exciting! :) I am a huge fan of the interactive queues in the Haunted Mansion and Winnie the Pooh. They’re an awesome way to make the time pass faster, and it’s just plain fun! And some of the effects, like the honey screens, are just brilliant.

Thunder Mountain is one of my family’s favorite rides, and the line is often long, even in the slow season. I can’t wait to see the new queue!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 24th, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Sounds like you’ll really enjoy this one then!

Allie on September 24th, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Is there any truth to the rumor that Peter Pan’s Flight is going to get an interactive queue too? That ride could REALLY use it. It’s one of my absolute favorites, but the line is always SO long!

Friend on September 25th, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I hope this addition does not detract from the realism theme of Big Thunder.

Bridget on September 29th, 2012 at 6:42 pm

This sounds neat! Big Thunder Railroad in Disneyland CA is closing soon for updates; any chances an interactive queue will be added?