Disneyland Park, Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough

Storytelling Through Dining at Be Our Guest Restaurant in New Fantasyland

posted on September 13th, 2012 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

When it opens at Magic Kingdom Park on November 19, Be Our Guest Restaurant will magically drop guests into the world of Belle and the Beast with a whole new level of theming for a Disney restaurant. “More than ever, we’re using storytelling and creativity as we develop our menus,” says Maribeth Bisienere, vice president of Food & Beverage and Merchandise for The Walt Disney Company. “We’re continually creating magical experiences, and Be Our Guest Restaurant at New Fantasyland is the next step in the evolution.”

Assorted Cured Meats and Sausages, Part of the Menu at Be Our Guest Restaurant in New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park

The storytelling starts with Walt Disney Imagineering, but it’s not long before the Food & Beverage team starts creating a menu to match the theatrics. This time, it’s all about the mysterious new Magic Kingdom Park castle that’s home to Beast from “Beauty and the Beast,” with a majestic Ballroom with 20-foot-tall ceilings, elegant chandeliers and a wall of 18-foot-tall windows that overlook the French countryside where a light snow is falling; the Rose Gallery, with a large music box centerpiece that’s almost 7 feet tall, with Belle and the Beast slowly twirling atop; and the forbidden, dramatic West Wing, with the warm glow of the Beast’s enchanted rose.

A team of Disney chefs, including longtime Disney Chef Roland Muller, a native of Alsace, France, has spent more than three years developing the French-inspired menu, creating both a quick-service menu for lunch and a more elegant table-service menu for dinner.

Pan-Seared Salmon with Leek Fondue and Saffron Potatoes, Part of the Menu at Be Our Guest Restaurant in New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park

“Our role is to finish the story,” says Walt Disney World Executive Chef Lenny DeGeorge. And while the quick-service lunch is more of a French bistro, dinner is a more elegant affair with dishes themed to the film: a whole roasted hen, a pork rack chop, pan-seared salmon with leek fondue and saffron potatoes. Gourmet cupcakes and mousse-filled cream puffs are finished tableside.

And just for dinner, select wines and beers will be offered that complement the French-inspired cuisine.

“As part of the overall theming, we wanted to offer wine that enhances the guest experience and complements the French-inspired cuisine,” says Stuart McGuire, Beverage Director, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “The wines focus primarily on France’s famous wine-growing regions, including Champagne, Alsace, Loire, Rhone, Burgundy and Bordeaux.

“We’ll also offer the leading French beer, Kronenbourg 1664,” says McGuire. “And, staying in the general region, we’ll also offer Belgian beers.”

Servers complete the picture, dressed in a style inspired by European fashions from the 1400s to the 1600s: a royal purple embroidered doublet, or vest, over a shirt with knickers that reach just below the knee. For evening service, a jabot or ruffle, buttoned at the throat, is added.

“From the moment they cross the bridge into the castle, it’s all about immersing our guests in the dining experience,” says Bisienere. “Every detail is part of the story.”

To make a reservation, call (407) WDW-DINE or book online at www.disneyworld.com/dine.

Keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog and follow @WaltDisneyWorld on Twitter for the latest on the New Fantasyland expansion. While you’re on Twitter, join in the conversation by using the hashtag #NewFantasyland.

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Disney Dining, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Nicole on September 13th, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I am very disappointed alcohol will be served in the Magic Kingdom park.

Tim on September 13th, 2012 at 5:08 pm

i thought that the magic kingdom was a dry park. the way this reads, there will be alcohol. how are they able to serve at be our Guest?

Diane on September 13th, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Can’t wait to try it in December!

Tim on September 13th, 2012 at 5:16 pm

This is a fairly monumental announcement – the presence of alcohol at the Magic Kingdom.

Any word on whether or not “Gray Stuff” will be on the menu at Be Our Guest, the “dishes” keep hyping it.

Pam Brandon on September 13th, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Chefs are working on a “magical moment” with a delicious version of the “gray stuff!”

David on September 13th, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom?! I have to agree with Nicole, I’m disappointed in this

Scott on September 13th, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I think this is great news. The alcohol will be served with dinner in a controlled setting. This isn’t a beer stand out in the middle of the park. Good Job Disney!

AJ from TX on September 13th, 2012 at 5:35 pm

This is amazing news, Pam!! Wish I could have been at the event today (durn vacation!), but I’m loving the food photos and news!! Thanks for the great updates!! (OK, enough exclamation points.)

DONNA from CUMBRIA on September 13th, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I think it a good idea you can have a glass off wine with your meal..(with how busy it will be you will not be able to sit all day and drink.).a hectic day in magic kindom a glass will not harm..

Richeal on September 13th, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I feel wine with dinner would still stay within Walt’s idea of clean family fun. I for one am so excited and really hope I get this reservation!

Alyssa on September 13th, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I am excited that alcohol will be sold in Magic Kingdom, can’t wait to go there in December!

Sharron on September 13th, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Perhaps, Disney should serve Walt’s favorite brand! I can’t wait to be in the new resturant and new Fantasyland!! All so very exciting!! There was a bar scene, with alcohol, in Beauty and the Beast. Very fitting that “Be Our Guest” will have something on tap :)

chris on September 13th, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Please please please tell me that the childrens menu there will be in keeping with the French Theme. There is NO WAY that the French would allow their children to eat chicken nuggets while they eat salmon with leek fondue and saffron potatoes. Keep one or two dishes for the kids that are persnickety, but for children such as mine that will actually eat mussles PLEASE offer a paired down version of the adult menu. I beg you PLEASE! Even my 7 year old was annoyed at the menu offerings for kids, she kept eating off of my plate!

Pam Brandon on September 14th, 2012 at 10:27 am

The kids’ menu is, indeed, more upscale; at lunch, for instance, there’s braised pork with potato-veggie mash, seared mahi mahi, a Mickey-shaped turkey meatloaf, and a turkey sandwich (they’re roasting and carving the turkey in the kitchen). Dinner includes grilled steak, fish or chicken breast. I’ve tried some of the dishes, and they’re delish!

Annette from MI on September 13th, 2012 at 8:01 pm

The menu is really taking shape and looking delicious. I can’t wait to try it in Feb. for dinner after running the Princess Half Marathon. I like the fact that I can have a glass of wine with this what looks to be a 5 star French dinner.

chris on September 13th, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Ignore my last comment, I just looked at the menus for the fast service and table service restaurant and I would like to say THANK YOU!!! My DD is already looking forward to the seared Mahi Mahi.

Michelle on September 13th, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I am also very disappointed with alcohol being served in the Magic Kingdom.

Kyle on September 13th, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Can’t say I’m thrilled with the idea of alcohol in the Magic Kingdom, but if its limited to the restaurant at dinner then I guess its not that bad.

Jennifer from PA on September 13th, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Fine French food requires fine wine.

Margaret from CA on September 13th, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I love Walt Disney, and everything he built. But Walt died in 1966. That’s 46 YEARS ago. Things change, society evolves. And this is NOT some cheap generic liquor being served in a plastic cup out in the middle of Main Street. I think the beer and wine choices are very much in keeping with thee high-end meals that they are being offered with. I have eaten at The Napa Rose and the wines that were offered to me COMPLETELY enhanced the flavors of the meal. Anyway, that’s one fan’s opinion.

Michael on September 13th, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I am very disappointed alcohol will be served in the Magic Kingdom park.

rachel from MI on September 13th, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Wine at Dinner is a classic French theme. I am excited to see Disney show this in dining option, for a truly french themed dining experience. I would be very disappointed if they had a margarita bar or mixed beverage option, but this perfect for cultural dining.

Danielle on September 13th, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Mrs. Potts sings, “Wine’s been poured…” so consider having the option to have wine with your meal as part of the theme’ing. So excited to enjoy dinner at this restaurant in just three months!

Thomas from ON on September 13th, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I don’t why it’s such a big deal to people about wine and beer being served at dinner.

David on September 13th, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I agree with Nicole and the other David.
I am very disappointed that alcohol will be served in the Magic Kingdom!

Mariana on September 13th, 2012 at 10:20 pm

So sad it won´t be opened by the time I’ll be at the park!!! I almost want to cry… it sounds amazing and it´s a good thing you can have a nice dinner with a nice glass of wine …

Jesse from IA on September 13th, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I am a huge fan of French cuisine and really appreciate the effort that the chefs are going through to create a wonderful dining experience. But I don’t like that alcohol will be served. I typically have a glass of wine with my meal, and consider it very appropriate to have wine with a French meal. But, the Magic Kingdom tradition trumps the French tradition. I am disappointed that the Magic Kingdom is forgoing tradition and serving alcohol.

Terry on September 14th, 2012 at 12:52 am

I’m really happy that I’ll be able to enjoy a glass of wine with my dinner at Be Our Guest on Nov. 19. The first Disney park I visited was Disneyland Paris where I had a wonderful dinner withe the princesses and the wine was included. A good french dinner needs a nice wine to accompany it.

Brian from BC on September 14th, 2012 at 2:26 am

I’m excited that I won’t have to go back to Disneyland Paris or join Club 33 to experience a authentic wine and beer in a Disney castle park. And the food sounds great too. I can’t wait to do some tasting and wine pairing after taking my little girl to see her favorite princesses.

P.S. I haven’t been “from BC” in years. My Disney account profile has the right address, but not whatever generates the location for the parks blog comments.

Lisa on September 14th, 2012 at 7:15 am

I cannot wait to try it out. Unfortunately, the first reservation we could get is in January, but we keep calling to see if there are any cancellations before that date.

As for the alcohol, I’m glad to see that there will be beer and wine only and only with dinner service. I only hope that people drink wisely.

JOANNA on September 14th, 2012 at 7:17 am

I would LOVE to have the recipe they use for the “Garlic Herbed Butter” used on the Strip Steak. I don’t drink but, I agree with those who do NOT have an issue with wine/beer being served at the MK. A drink with a nice dinner would be nice for those who wish to have one.

Leonard from NY on September 14th, 2012 at 10:02 am

This is surely monumental with the addition of wine, champagne @ beer within the MK boundries. I am shocked that adult beverages have not been added before this in the same manner of being served only at table service meals. I do however hope that alcoholic beverages do not end up at kiosks, couter service restuarants or the addition of a full service bar.

I look forward to dining @ BoG in the future and having the option of a glass of wine with my meal.

Michelle from NY on September 14th, 2012 at 10:29 am

I am excited to hear that they are working on the “grey stuff”. My kids will get a kick out of it.

Genevieve from TX on September 14th, 2012 at 10:50 am

Foodies know that wine completely enhances a gourmet meal. If you don’t enjoy wine or beer, don’t drink. For those of us who “live to eat” this is fabulous news. I am super siked for our upcoming New Year’s Eve dinner! ;)

Earl on September 14th, 2012 at 11:48 am

Yay! What a great addition! TDO comes through with another fabulous addition to an already great vacation experience!

Jonathan on September 14th, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Is there any information on if the soups are vegetarian/vegan friendly or if they’re made with meat stocks?

Chris on September 14th, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I am very disappointed alcohol will be served in the Magic Kingdom park.

Christopher on September 14th, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I looked over the beverage menu and I have to say that I am actually really impressed with the choices that were made for both the wines and beers. I was concerned that this was going to be a push for one of the major labels to squeeze in but I feel that Disney did a very good thing by not going to the easy sells and offering up a great variety of beers within the selection and will enjoy one of them when I’m dining there next year.

Michelle on September 14th, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I’m a little confused why everyone is so/very disappointed about the sale of alcohol.

I could understand if they were planning on selling cheap beer at stands around the park, but this is about having a glass of wine or two with French cuisine in a sit down dining experience… French food and wine go hand in hand!

Alison on September 14th, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I am surprised MK will no longer be “dry.” Will Cinderella’s Royal Table and Tony’s follow suit? The desserts look delicious!

Kathleen on September 14th, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Any vegan options on the menu?

Chrissy on September 14th, 2012 at 10:40 pm

I’m extremely excited that there will be (gasp!) alcohol in MK. Other commenters are right! French food NEEDS French wine.
Also: this will be my first time at Magic Kingdom since turning 21, so I’ll get to actually enjoy it!

Karen from MA on September 15th, 2012 at 7:31 am

We can’t wait to travel dinner here. Menu looks wonderful!

Amy from FL on September 15th, 2012 at 9:26 am

Italian food and wine go hand in hand as well, but Tony’s Town Square has never served alcohol.

I’m disappointed in the decision.

Dan on September 16th, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Where, oh where, is the Creme Brulee??? A French restaurant needs more than just cupcakes and cream puffs … dessert crepes, maybe?? Very disappointed, and we have reservations for New Year’s Eve!

Alejandro on September 17th, 2012 at 12:20 am

WONDERFUL!!!

Thank you Disney, this was the right move – and very long overdue.

nancy on September 20th, 2012 at 9:53 am

I’m curious about what the lunch menu is like. I was going to make reservation for dinner, but the menu looks pretty limited and i know my kids that are over 9 will not like most of the food on it.. The lunch menu quick service looks a bit limited also..

Joy on September 27th, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I, too, am disappointed that alcohol is to be served at MK. I thought it good that at least one park was dry. Other than this, all looks very exciting!

rebecca on September 27th, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I just tried to make reservations for January/February and they are already booked? I’m so disappointed.

NANCY on October 8th, 2012 at 6:52 pm

What’s the big deal about alcohol in Magic Kingdom? Disney hosts a food and wine festival every year, so that’s nothing new.

Also, Drinking Around the World in Epcot, anyone?