The countdown has begun! The 17th Annual Epcot International Food & Wine Festival opens Friday, and the chefs are putting last-minute touches on the tastes in the 29 Marketplaces around World Showcase Lagoon. We’ve been lucky enough to sneak in the kitchen for a few tastes, and here are our Top 10 “must tastes” for this year.
- The new Florida Local Marketplace shrimp ceviche. Pair with key lime wine for a taste of the Sunshine State.
- Also at Florida Local, we can’t get enough of the white corn arepa with Mangalitsa pork rillette and Zellwood sweet corn salad. Doesn’t get any fresher than this.
- Trust us when we tell you, you won’t believe the chili Colorado is vegan at the new Terra Marketplace. You have to taste it just to say you’ve tried vegan chili with crunchy housemade chips and cashew cheese.
- The grilled lamb chop in Australia – it’s back, but this year the finish is a-mazing: salt & vinegar potato chip crumbles with a kicky mint pesto. Oh yeah.
- In Belgium, the steamed mussels are back, but they’ve ditched the cream for Hoegaarden Beer broth and a baguette for sopping up the juices. We like it better than the cream.
- We just might recommend starting at the Dessert and Champagne Marketplace and digging into the dark chocolate mousse with chili and salted caramel. It’s a small serving, so the guilt factor is low and it’s worth every calorie.
- Canada kicks it up with a favorite dish from Le Cellier Steakhouse brought out on the promenade just for Food & Wine – the buttery wild mushroom beef filet mignon with a splash of truffle butter sauce. You may want to go ahead and order two.
- Zapiekanki – Yes, it’s hard to pronounce, but step up at the Polish Marketplace and order this street food that most closely resembles pizza bread with cheese, mushrooms, onions and a drizzle of homemade ketchup. Comfort food.
- Frozen Strawberry Nesquik® – Childhood is calling at the Desserts and Champagne Marketplace. They added this just for kids, but we think adults will love this just as much as a glass of bubbly.
- Bacardi Torched Cherry Frozen Cherry Limeade – The finale, this slushy drink guarantees a brain freeze if you don’t slip it slow, which isn’t easy. Tart, icy and just right for a hot afternoon.
Check out John Graham’s videos that give you the lowdown on what to eat…
Enjoy! Let us know your favorite tastes.