Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Holidays at the Disneyland Resort

A New ‘Characters In Flight’ Balloon Will Soon Debut at Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World Resort

posted on October 2nd, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

UPDATE: The new Characters in Flight balloon is now open! Here’s a photo of it up in the air:

The New ‘Characters In Flight’ Balloon at Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World Resort

Downtown Disney here at Walt Disney World Resort recently added a little “character” to its skyline thanks to the arrival of a new Characters in Flight balloon.

The balloon, which is currently being set up for operation, is the second balloon to be featured at Characters in Flight. As you can see above, this balloon features a new red, yellow and blue color scheme, as well as a new set of flying characters: Tinker Bell, Peter Pan, Buzz Lightyear, Dumbo, Jasmine and Aladdin.

Guests will be able to go on board once the balloon completes all its safety inspections, which we are being told will be sometime in the next week.

Keep watching the Disney Parks Blog for more on when Characters in Flight will open.

Look below for more news from Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World Resort:

Filed: Downtown Disney, Walt Disney World Resort

Silvana on October 2nd, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Looks exactly like the one in Disneyland Paris!

Stephanie on October 2nd, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Is this one replacing the yellow one or is it in addition?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on October 3rd, 2012 at 8:36 am

It’s replacing the first one.

Allie on October 2nd, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Yay! I never got a chance to ride the old one, even though I wanted to. I’m glad there’s going to be a new one! :) And Peter Pan is still on it; hooray!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on October 3rd, 2012 at 8:36 am

Yes, I like this design/color scheme.

Amber S. on October 2nd, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I was hoping to see this next January, but they still haven’t come out with their dining plan specials so I guess they aren’t going to have them for this time? I know that people in the UK and Australia get it if they visit FL at that time, but I don’t know why they aren’t releasing it for the US? The past two years they were out in August and September? Does anyone know?

Arielle from NC on October 2nd, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I like the new graphics, but where’s Mary Poppins?!? Her image on the balloon always made me smile. It won’t be the same without her!

Christine from ON on October 3rd, 2012 at 8:55 am

I love the look of the new balloon. I am so glad it is back. My son and I went on the old character balloon and it was the most magnificent view of WDW. If anyone goes on this ride make sure to bring your camera.

Sasha on October 3rd, 2012 at 9:18 am

We are there in 8 days! I am so excited that there is a chance it will be up and running on our trip! My kids were so bummed that it was gone! Will you keep us updated on a start date, PLEASE! Will the cost be around the same per person?