The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at Disney California Adventure Park

Disney Parks After Dark: Flying High Above Paradise Pier at Disney California Adventure Park

posted on October 18th, 2012 by Paul Hiffmeyer, Chief Photographer for Public Relations, Disneyland Resort

If you were at the Disneyland Resort on August 25, you might have seen a unique airplane flying overhead most of the afternoon and late into the evening. The plane was a twin-engine P68 Observer with a plexiglass nose. There are only a few flying in the United States, mostly used for shooting video, but I had a great opportunity to ride along and take still shots during this recent flyover – and I wanted to share some of them with you today.

I specifically wanted to get this angle of Mickey’s Fun Wheel – and it only took three passes!

I’m always impressed to see how high the fountains go during “World of Color.” A few times, I caught myself just watching the show instead of taking photos.

I chose this last photo to give you an idea of what Paradise Pier and Cars Land looked like from my point of view that night. Be sure to check Facebook.com/DisneyParksBlog for more shots of Paradise Pier from our flyover.

A special thanks Dave Gibbs (pilot) and Dave Arnold (video cameraman) for the ride of a lifetime.

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort

Dinah on October 18th, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Wow, these photos are beautiful; what a great opportunity to see the parks in this manner. Thank you for sharing!

Rebekah on October 18th, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Absolutely gorgeous photos! Thank you for sharing.

Fred from CA on October 18th, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Fantastic photos!

Robert on October 18th, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I am so jealous of those shots! Having recently discovered night photography at DCA and Disneyland, I love your night photos. I would love it if Disney would offer a photo safari tour, much like walking in Walt’s Footsteps, but for hobbyist and professional photographer. Were techniques and history of the park can be discuss and enjoyed.

Brett from CA on October 19th, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Any chance of getting the last photo in a high-res format? I would love to use it as desktop wallpaper!

Brett from CA on October 19th, 2012 at 3:38 pm

HOW do you get such stunning and clear photos from a moving airplane at night??? I don’t see ANY noise! GREAT job!
~DaddyB

Jessica on October 19th, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Beautiful!

Michael on October 20th, 2012 at 8:42 pm

No way! I was at DCA celebrating my sister and her husband’s anniversary that day. We were standing in line for The Tower of Terror when we saw it fly over head. I was wondering if it was the Disney Parks Blog!

Jennie from CA on October 31st, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I hope this question gets seen because I’m not sure where to ask it. All of the pics on the blog banner and all the amazing photos the staff takes are just incredible. I was wondering if there’s anyplace to view them all together? They really are inspirational as I find myself trying to take interesting perspective shots when I’m in the parks.

Thanks,