Disneyland Monorail

Epcot Images: Then and Now

posted on October 8th, 2012 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

If you remember, last week we began celebrating the 30th anniversary of Epcot with rare sights from the construction of one of my favorite attractions at the park – Spaceship Earth. If you enjoyed that, take a look at our latest image series we’re calling “Then and Now.” Scroll back and forth and see how much some of the attractions have changed over the years, including Spaceship Earth.

Then & Now: A view of Spaceship Earth from the Main Entrance

Then & Now: A view inside The Land Pavilion

Then & Now: Entrance to Future World

Then & Now: Epcot park entrance

Then & Now: A view inside The Seas Pavilion

Then & Now: Boat transportation at Epcot

Check out these posts for more of the latest updates from Epcot:

Filed: Disney History, Epcot, Walt Disney World Resort

Sean from GA on October 8th, 2012 at 9:57 am

Love the side by side look at then and now! So much has changed, but Epcot still remains one of our favorite parks!

Adam on October 8th, 2012 at 10:03 am

Thank you! Would love to see some more of these!

Victory on October 8th, 2012 at 10:13 am

Great pics! Might want to double-check on “Then & Now: Entrance to Future World.” The full versions of these pics, visible on the mobile version of the blog, look virtually identical (the trees, for example). Is it possible these are day and night shots taken on the same day?

Sara on October 8th, 2012 at 10:29 am

I agree with comment #3, the Entrance to Future World is definitely day/night shots of the same time period/set-up. That day shot is not the old look.

Dan on October 8th, 2012 at 11:44 am

These are some of my favorite posts. Nice work! I do think there are parts of Future World that don’t look so good when compared to the past, but these are excellent.

George on October 8th, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Based on the color schemes on the Innoventions Plaza shots, those photos are both no older than two years old.

Sharon from VA on October 8th, 2012 at 1:02 pm

It’s amazing that the plans and trees in the Future World picture are *exactly* the same in both pictures. I hope the next installment of this feature shows all the topiaries that used to be around WDW.

Marlon on October 8th, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I love how the photo was laid out..:)

Anonymous on October 8th, 2012 at 4:11 pm

thank you for these pics please do more! I like the newer land look but I don’t care for the stone monoliths in front of spaceship earth, I wish the epcot prism fountain would come back bigger and better! I also like an unobstructed view of spaceship earth from the back, without all the shade screens.

Michael on October 8th, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Great pics! I love the slider bar feature – keep these types of posts coming!

Shawn on October 8th, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Love these photo presentations. Hope we see more of these!

It’s cool to see how much the growth of the foliage has on the views.

Jason on October 8th, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Sorry to say it, but I like the older pictures better. Especially the front of Spaceship Earth.

Nicholas on October 8th, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I think there should be a photo of guests clothes from back then to today…. Shoulder pads vs. MIckey t-shirts!!!

Ed from AL on October 9th, 2012 at 8:10 am

In the first photo, I can’t help but think of how “clean” the park looks without the stones with the pictures on them. Like others have said, these photos are great! Please post more from other parks as well. Thanks!

Andrew from IN on October 9th, 2012 at 8:30 am

I love the comparison between then and now. I feel kind of bad that I look at all the “then” shots of Future World and think it looks so much nicer and less cluttered back then.

Helga from CA on October 9th, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I agree with Ed. The old main entrance was so much nicer. These photos are great. Love to see how the trees have grown.

Sheila from OH on October 9th, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Always enjoy any old photos of all theparks! I actually like the entrance to Epcot before the ( photo walls ? ) were put up. Less cluttered.